Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-04-2016, 02:52 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofinoguy View Post
And you wouldn't. Nor would you get prime dates with a high liner guide
Don't need any "highliner guide", as we are invited to go out in prime time with some salmon fishermen(relatives) that do it for a living. We go out of either Port Alberni or Campbell River on their ocean boats for overnighters. We buy the beer & grub. They refuse anything more, even though our wives stay in their homes with my cousins' wives.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskinner View Post
l would say that if your paying $1000 per person per day to the charter boat folks , then they should have sufficient funds to pay their guides a decent wage , so no tips , your already paying for the service.
Here it is... I'm a guide in Prince Rupert. Our profession is a lot like being a waitress, or any other part of the "Service" industry. What you are saying equates to the same as saying " If you pay $24 for a steak supper, the waitress should be paid a decent wage, and not deserve a tip?" Seriously?

Truth is most guides make between $200-$250/day gross as a wage, and have to pay their taxes out of that (my day can easily run 12-14hrs). Depending on where I have to run to get my clients on the best fish, I can burn 200-250 litres of fuel in a day. So do the math... my wage, and the fuel equate to more than 50% of the charter. Ad in over 1k/mo for moorage, boat payment, commercial insurance, fishing tackle/gear (unbelievable how many rods break from clients reeling the bead swivels through the rod tip)... Etc...

Tips do really make a difference to us guides. If you think we don't deserve a tip because of poor service, then that's your choice. If you think that because a charter is $1000/day, we don't deserve a tip, then I suggest one of two things...
#1- Become a guide and see if you hold the same opinion...
#2- Buy your own boat, and run it offshore for a while, and see if you still think it's nothing but money for a boat owner...