Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-29-2016, 12:26 PM

Default Shore fishing ethics

So I'm fishing at glenmore reservoir and iv been fishing for about 3 hours and there is some people around the point from me. At about noon I catch 2 small pike ......one of the guys moves 4 meters from me and casts right on top of my line. I let it go .......then I catch 2 more better size and his partner movies to the other side cast right on top of my live again. Do people not have any fishing ethics any more ?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-29-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsoucy View Post
So I'm fishing at glenmore reservoir and iv been fishing for about 3 hours and there is some people around the point from me. At about noon I catch 2 small pike ......one of the guys moves 4 meters from me and casts right on top of my line. I let it go .......then I catch 2 more better size and his partner movies to the other side cast right on top of my live again. Do people not have any fishing ethics any more ?

Take some pictures.

You caught all the pike there so move to where they were and catch more there.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 08-29-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:

I'd say it depends. I wouldn't go 4 meters from another fisherman on a shoreline, or indeed any distance where our casts would come anywhere near each other. But I might not relinquish an entire public dock to just one guy, though I'd certainly stand as far as I could on the other side of the dock and cast away from him.

Last edited by Okotokian; 08-29-2016 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-29-2016, 01:26 PM

That's about the time I start have trouble with my reel an have afew miss casts an have my hook fly in any direction, an have afew funky twitches while trying to fix my line , it works way better than getting ****ed off lol
Old 08-29-2016, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
It depends, did you park yourself in the place which you thought was the best fishing spot?
No I did not. They were on one side of the points t and I was on the other .I have fished on both sides. I just wanted to give them space and for my self. I fished for 3 hours trying to pin point the drop off into to the old river bead and along the point with a slip bobber....only when I came into the fish did they start to pay attention to what I was doing and using......this is not the first time this has happened. ....I was trolling a shore for about 5 hours and we were catching a lot. There was a guy fishing about 300 yard away seen us fishing there for hours. He decided that he wanted to park and gig right on our marker. I get it you want to catch fish and get frustrated when you see people slaying fish and your not but really is it necessary to do something like that.

Old 08-29-2016, 02:15 PM

Fishing close enough to cast over your line is poor form.
Old 08-29-2016, 03:56 PM

Quote:

if i was still interested in fishing that is something i would do back in the day.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Take some pictures.

You caught all the pike there so move to where they were and catch more there.
best way to go. thats my favourite way to get even. then again Im usually using 80 pound braid, a tug of war can be fun too

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 08-29-2016, 07:25 PM

Put on the biggest heaviest spoon or crank with a giant treble hook and start swinging around.

One facial piercing and they are sure to move off.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:37 PM

"Shore fishing ethics" all in one sentence!! Hahahaha. This is why I bought a boat. Now I just have to deal with the boom box crowd - Doh

Dodger.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
"Shore fishing ethics" all in one sentence!! Hahahaha. This is why I bought a boat. Now I just have to deal with the boom box crowd - Doh

Dodger.
dont thumb the spool
still one of my favourite fishing memories Bud. just thought Id remind you in case you had forgotten about that day

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 08-29-2016, 08:14 PM

Take your pants off and fish in your underwear.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:33 PM

Ever try shore fishing Wabamum in the old days for Whites during the spawn. Holy cow. Only did that once. Shoulder to shoulder before you know it.

I think ethics are being replaced by me me me but it's been going on for a long time.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:33 PM

Anywhere you go you will find other 'fishermen' move in on you, when you've found the sweet spot.

Check out Lesser Slave sometime.

Wife and I hit a wicked piece of structure there this year. We had boats trolling circles around us, anchoring on top of us just about.

What ev'...

None of those guys were hookin' them like we did.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 08-30-2016, 02:04 PM

Try the Skeena or Kitimat rivers during salmon run Guys every 10 feet but at least everyone coordinated their cast and drift or it would have been tangle nightmare.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:50 PM
Gone Hunting

I don't know what Glenmore res. is. but many years ago I fished steelhead on the Cheakamus river in B.C. with an old guy. he was an easy going guy and not much bothered him. On the river if someone was fishing a run or a hole, you simply moved on to the next one.
A guy came up and stood next to Frank. Only the two of us on the whole river.

Frank moved on. Same thing again. Frank moved on. The next time he did it, Frank nearly took his head off with his cast. never said a word and by the third time getting a buzzcut, the guy moved on.

In your case I would have told them to move on. failing that I would have used the buzzcut approach,

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 08-30-2016, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
dont thumb the spool
still one of my favourite fishing memories Bud. just thought Id remind you in case you had forgotten about that day
Ok ok - you got me. Your fishing spots are a bit off the beaten path so you your comments don't count.

Dodger.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:04 AM
Banned

Went fly fishing the omr in the hat last couldn't believe the amount of garbage all over the place it's was appalling, some people have no respect, If they crossed my line I would reel my line in and cut theirs and pull their rig in and keep it as my own!
Old 08-31-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
Went fly fishing the omr in the hat last couldn't believe the amount of garbage all over the place it's was appalling, some people have no respect, If they crossed my line I would reel my line in and cut theirs and pull their rig in and keep it as my own!
You would have been fishing the SSR. Non the less I sure wish f&w would crack down on the littering. Can't blame it all on fisherman either I've seen lots of the river floaters throwing beer cans and such. Good edict is at least 75yrds. If you want to get closer politely asking the first guy there usually goes a long way.