Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-10-2016, 07:34 PM

Default Legalities of keeping native fish alive in your back yard??

So I will start off with saying I have some neighbors with an "ethnic" background . And about 2 years ago they dug a 12ft x10ft x 8ft deep hole in the yard , to put a giant tank in the ground . Now this hole just so happened to be to the bottom of the foundation roughly which seemed odd to me.. the hole never got filled for over a year ..

So I called the city cause the hole was caving my fence in .. the city got back to me and told me they were planning on using the grey water from the house to raise tilapia .. WTF ?? Which is against the law so the city shut em down and told them to fill the hole.. well now the tank is in the hole and they have done nothing with it.. About a month ago I get home from work and they have about 4 of those giant square water containers with aluminum cages around them cut it half and laying in the yard.. (I see where this is going ) . Been keeping a close eye on what they are doing.. the last 2 weekends I see them loading up giant coolers and going fishing .. leave early come home late kinda thing ..

So today I'm out mowing my lawn and peered through the fence and they have one of those containers with a pump running water and I can see what looks to be walleye and white fish swimming in this thing .. I can't be certain how many but some are about 10" and there a couple 3-4 lbs swimming around in there..

So I guess my question is , is this legal ?? Obviously I will be contacting fish n wildlife in the Am but just wanted to get some of your guys thoughts on this ??
Old 07-10-2016, 07:43 PM

I would phone F&W and ask them the legalities of this. They will know what to do or whether to pursue it or not.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:48 PM

I`m sure your not allowed to keep them in a fish tank in your house, so a bin in the back yard doesn`t seem right either?
Old 07-10-2016, 07:48 PM

Sounds like quite the story. Would like to see the pictures.
Ps ..call report a poacher
Old 07-10-2016, 07:56 PM

Illegal from the get-go ! And those "water tanks" sound suspiciously like empty pesticide totes !
Old 07-10-2016, 07:57 PM

It's illegal to process live game fish further than 5m from the waterbody they were caught
Old 07-10-2016, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmamba View Post
So I will start off with saying I have some neighbors with an "ethnic" background . And about 2 years ago they dug a 12ft x10ft x 8ft deep hole in the yard , to put a giant tank in the ground . Now this hole just so happened to be to the bottom of the foundation roughly which seemed odd to me.. the hole never got filled for over a year ..

So I called the city cause the hole was caving my fence in .. the city got back to me and told me they were planning on using the grey water from the house to raise tilapia .. WTF ?? Which is against the law so the city shut em down and told them to fill the hole.. well now the tank is in the hole and they have done nothing with it.. About a month ago I get home from work and they have about 4 of those giant square water containers with aluminum cages around them cut it half and laying in the yard.. (I see where this is going ) . Been keeping a close eye on what they are doing.. the last 2 weekends I see them loading up giant coolers and going fishing .. leave early come home late kinda thing ..

So today I'm out mowing my lawn and peered through the fence and they have one of those containers with a pump running water and I can see what looks to be walleye and white fish swimming in this thing .. I can't be certain how many but some are about 10" and there a couple 3-4 lbs swimming around in there..

So I guess my question is , is this legal ?? Obviously I will be contacting fish n wildlife in the Am but just wanted to get some of your guys thoughts on this ??
those containers are NOT water origin .. maybe gylphos at the very least... If it were me I would pursue this to the limit .. not good
Old 07-10-2016, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAMxr View Post
It's illegal to process live game fish further than 5m from the waterbody they were caught
Yup. Definitely illegal what they are doing. Make sure you take pictures for evidence.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:23 PM

couple pics...the tank at the end of the deck has the fish in it..

s1282.photobucket.com/user/easton57/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160710_200747_zpshksqhpws.jpg.html][/URL]

s1282.photobucket.com/user/easton57/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160710_200723_zpsnvxb9j6l.jpg.html][/URL]
Old 07-10-2016, 08:27 PM

100 % herbicide containers .... contamination is illegal .....
Old 07-10-2016, 08:31 PM

Unreal what some people think they can do and get away with. I'd be calling fish and wildlife and report a poacher
Old 07-10-2016, 08:44 PM

....or you could just be a man and talk to them....
Old 07-10-2016, 08:56 PM

If tilapia may actually be legal, walleye not a chance. Call it in.
Old 07-10-2016, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROA View Post
....or you could just be a man and talk to them....
sure C mon over and translate for me ..
Old 07-10-2016, 10:21 PM

Hopefully they get nailed to the cross for that. very strange whatever is happening.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:42 PM

I hope you guys realize that those are not herbicide, or pesticide containers.

They are standard 250 gallon water totes with a steel cage around them. They are used for an *abundance* of different reasons and purposes. Most herbicides are extremely toxic to fish and they certainly wouldnt last long. Sheesh.

And yah - how about just talking to your neighbors first?? I love the automatic suspicion and guilt because you *think* you know what's going on, because they have an "ethnic background".

Unreal - quit being a snitch, talk to them - if they are doing something wrong and they know they're doing wrong, by all means call it in. Maybe they have no idea?? Ever thought of that??

You are a hell of a neighbor.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:40 AM
Banned

if you KNOW they have sport fish in there call RAP, screw,talking to your neighbours ignorance of they law is no excuse, if they don't know what they are doing is illegal( highly unlikey) they will learn quick... If your sure there are fish of any kind in there call RAP we don't another invasive species in AB, **** for.all you know could be snakeheads or peacock bass in there...

^^^ AND IGNORE THOSE WHO RODE THE SHORT BUS LIKE REDDEERGUY2015...the, I'll break the law if I want and you can mind your own business type, clown

Last edited by idaman; 07-11-2016 at 05:49 AM.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:55 AM

Report it and let the proper authorities handle it. hopefully fish are still in there and not on the dinner table already.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:06 AM

It is illegal to possess live game fish- unless the fish have been legally caught by angling and are within 5 meters of the water from which they were caught. Walleye and whitefish are game fish. This is a general sport fishing regulation that everyone should know.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerguy2015 View Post
I hope you guys realize that those are not herbicide, or pesticide containers.

They are standard 250 gallon water totes with a steel cage around them. They are used for an *abundance* of different reasons and purposes. Most herbicides are extremely toxic to fish and they certainly wouldnt last long. Sheesh.

And yah - how about just talking to your neighbors first?? I love the automatic suspicion and guilt because you *think* you know what's going on, because they have an "ethnic background".

Unreal - quit being a snitch, talk to them - if they are doing something wrong and they know they're doing wrong, by all means call it in. Maybe they have no idea?? Ever thought of that??

You are a hell of a neighbor.

and maybe poachers have no idea what the regulations are right??
Old 07-11-2016, 09:52 AM

Sounds to me like the OP is asking for opinions on the matter as to legality.

Posting pics of the backyard is not an issue as no address is given and no people are shown.

Re Tilapia...who knew?

Tilapia are farmed in land-based, heated tank systems in Ontario, Alberta and British Columbia. The conditions are too harsh for survival in outdoor ponds, and so stocks must be maintained indoors at all times.

Tilapia utilize plant-based diets, produced from low impact agricultural commodities for the most part.

They are raised in closed containment systems on land and well suited for intensive culture this way. Fish can not escape and even if this occurred accidentally, the all-male fish would not survive or reproduce in the Canadian climate.

Tilapia production requires minimal access to water as it can be produced in high densities in land-based systems with relatively little water turnover. The systems employed for culture are self-cleaning and generate little in the way of organic and inorganic waste, resulting in extremely low to nil environmental impacts on the surrounding environment.

http://www.aquaculture.ca/files/species-tilapia.php

Last edited by CMichaud; 07-11-2016 at 09:58 AM.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:22 AM
Banned

Wouldn't be legal to retain fish like that. Make the call...

However, it looks like they may be setting up for aquaponics. Using fish to grow veggies and such.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathewsArcher View Post
If tilapia may actually be legal, walleye not a chance. Call it in.
Absolutely. With the proper licensing, there are many non-native fish including tilapia that can be farmed. Besides proper licensing from AEP, there needs to be compliance with local by-laws.

BM,

Feel sorry for you, but this is funny!

You should be a good symbiotic neighbour ( and a man).
Start raising mink, herons and bears in your yard.

Call F&W and City By law, if you haven't yet.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 07-11-2016, 10:53 AM
Banned

Default Prussian Carp Hatchery

Sort of an Asian grow op. This is how those Prussian carp got going .
Seeded in local sloughs and rivers .
Your in overtime in calling F&W ......call now before they decide they
Like chickens more than fish !
Old 07-11-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaman View Post
if you KNOW they have sport fish in there call RAP, screw,talking to your neighbours ignorance of they law is no excuse, if they don't know what they are doing is illegal( highly unlikey) they will learn quick... If your sure there are fish of any kind in there call RAP we don't another invasive species in AB, **** for.all you know could be snakeheads or peacock bass in there...

^^^ AND IGNORE THOSE WHO RODE THE SHORT BUS LIKE REDDEERGUY2015...the, I'll break the law if I want and you can mind your own business type, clown
agreed
Old 07-11-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
Hopefully they get nailed to the cross for that. very strange whatever is happening.
Very strange is right...I am never a person to call on my neighbors but this somehow does not feel right...

Call them in to F&W to check and if they are doing things legal..No problem then...
Old 07-11-2016, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaman View Post

How do you have the slightest clue they are "breaking the law"??

Has the OP talked to the neighbor?? No.

Has he followed up with this post?? No.

You are all freaking out over some pictures of some totes and a pickup water tank and what the OP "saw" from peeking through a crack in his neighbors fence.

As I mentioned, how about striking up a damn conversation with the neighbor first??

Sometimes this site is just hilarious.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:46 PM

But I just sharpened my pitchfork...
Old 07-12-2016, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerguy2015 View Post
How do you have the slightest clue they are "breaking the law"??

Has the OP talked to the neighbor?? No.

Has he followed up with this post?? No.

You are all freaking out over some pictures of some totes and a pickup water tank and what the OP "saw" from peeking through a crack in his neighbors fence.

As I mentioned, how about striking up a damn conversation with the neighbor first??

Sometimes this site is just hilarious.
Let F&W do their jobs and investigate. If you suspected your neighbor of running a meth lab or fencing stolen goods would you go over and ask them? Poaching incidents can result in as dangerous a situation. Suspected violations should be reported and investigated by those trained to do so and with the ability to bring charges if warranted. If they are truly illegally raising walleye why tip them off? Charges should be laid, education is clearly not working in this province and enforcement needs to be stepped up.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathewsArcher View Post
Let F&W do their jobs and investigate. If you suspected your neighbor of running a meth lab or fencing stolen goods would you go over and ask them? Poaching incidents can result in as dangerous a situation. Suspected violations should be reported and investigated by those trained to do so and with the ability to bring charges if warranted. If they are truly illegally raising walleye why tip them off? Charges should be laid, education is clearly not working in this province and enforcement needs to be stepped up.
All I'm saying is that there is probably more to the story, or in other words - a perfectly logical reason for the tanks and totes.

A logical reason (or even greater suspicion) which could be picked up almost immediately by having a five minute conversation with the neighbor.

But whatever, no response from OP or follow up. Troll post. I'm out