Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-23-2013, 05:59 PM

Default Spinner Rigs

I fish spinner rigs alot and have a lot of success with them. One thing I have never speen able to figure out is how to get my minnow to stop spinning in a circle. I have tried a few different things but can never seem to get it just right. I always bend my minnows to make them nice and straight.

Anyone else experience this? Is there a cure?
Old 05-23-2013, 06:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
I fish spinner rigs alot and have a lot of success with them. One thing I have never speen able to figure out is how to get my minnow to stop spinning in a circle. I have tried a few different things but can never seem to get it just right. I always bend my minnows to make them nice and straight.

Anyone else experience this? Is there a cure?
If you use trebles get spintech hooks
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg DownloadedFile.jpeg (8.4 KB, 47 views)
Old 05-24-2013, 07:08 AM

Those trebles look crazy! I might have to try them out!
Old 05-24-2013, 08:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Those trebles look crazy! I might have to try them out!
They work great for fish that like to roll also.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:31 AM

I was dealing with the same issue so started experimenting - adding a heavier minnow helps - you can also add a small split shot right in front of the minnow. The spinner gets going so fast the line just follows and spins your entire rig.

It seems to me the heavier the trailer the less likely you are to get the line following the spinners direction.

Short of adding a small (added) bead then swivel right in front of the bait - this is the next best thing.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new LT View Post
If you use trebles get spintech hooks
Man you know all the good hooks to use. I wanna see inside your tackle box someday...
Old 05-24-2013, 03:08 PM

Spin-techs are great hooks, the fish can't get leverage by rolling to pop the hook out. I especially use them on all my lake trout hooks in both summer and winter.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:52 PM

Wouldn’t a small swivel and a weighted swim bait hook solve your problem?
Old 05-24-2013, 06:10 PM

By spinner rigs do you mean a spinner blade on a clevis on your line or do you mean a spinner like a mepps or panther martin? If it's a hand made rig just put a swivel between your rig and hook, even attach the hook to the swivel with a split ring. If you're using a spinning lure... why add bait?

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 05-24-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild&Free View Post
By spinner rigs do you mean a spinner blade on a clevis on your line or do you mean a spinner like a mepps or panther martin? If it's a hand made rig just put a swivel between your rig and hook, even attach the hook to the swivel with a split ring. If you're using a spinning lure... why add bait?
They are the hand made kind. Mono/Flour leader, blades, beads, and 1 or 2 hooks. I'll have to try the swivel in front of my hook. Currently I have a snap swivel on my main line plus each rig has has a swivel of its own.

Thanks for all the additional great advice from everyone who chimed in! Off to Pigeon Lake tomorrow, managed to find some leeches. Will post a report!
Old 05-25-2013, 09:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
They are the hand made kind. Mono/Flour leader, blades, beads, and 1 or 2 hooks. I'll have to try the swivel in front of my hook. Currently I have a snap swivel on my main line plus each rig has has a swivel of its own.

Thanks for all the additional great advice from everyone who chimed in! Off to Pigeon Lake tomorrow, managed to find some leeches. Will post a report!
I've never much worried about the spin. A good swivel on the spinner rig and also on the Bottom bouncer sorts out most of the issues. Sometimes when the bite is slow I've had good luck fishing minnows without the spinner, intentionaly hooking them so they will spin. Now that Slow Death is becoming more comon, this concept is hardly original though.