Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-19-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmanbob View Post
I picked up a five year unfired NULA in 30-06. I also have a 270 and a 280 in a Forbes. They all shoot great.
I think in time the Forbes will be a sought after rifle even with a few cosmetic issues.
I have one and any issue there was I fixed with minor effort.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-19-2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I have one and any issue there was I fixed with minor effort.
That's what I did too.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
You could go to KS Arms in Edm for a custom built on one of their 2 or 3 lug lefty actions, set in their lightweight stock made by Wildcat and be testing loads by May.
I have considered getting a KS built, with a wildcat stock. Do you know if they accept m700 triggers? Would be cool to put a trigger tech in one and have a Canadian rifle.

Also i am not totally set on a weight. Seven pounds and under for bare rifle is kind of what im looking at. I know i would not want a 300wby in a 5 pound rifle for example.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I have owned pretty much every light weight and ultra light weight lefty made, but not the newest Cooper. The two I still have are the Weatherby Ultra Light in 257 Bee and a NULA in 308 that I have had for the last 10 years.

The NULA is my got to hunting rifle and will NEVER get sold. Its perfect balance and design make it easy to shoot off hand or from sticks, laying down or any other position I have tried. It weighs 6 Lbs 2 ounces with a Swaro Z5 3.5x18x44 BRX, 4 rounds in the blind mag and a sling.It will lay down half minute 3 shot groups out to 800 yards and it will shoot a 3 shot group made up of 130 TSXBT, 150 Horn SP Interlock and 165 grain Horn SPBT loads into a one minute group at 100 yards.

Nothing I have owned or tried keeps up with the NULA.
You and Chuck have me looking into the NULA now. Thanks guys for the suggestions, and info. I will also look into the Cooper 92 back country.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:45 PM

Cooper timberlinr maybe an option.

I'm also watching for a barett fieldcraft in left hand. Maybe this year they will become available.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:05 PM

This is with a #2 24” barrel and long action.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-19-2018, 08:48 PM

Just seen this on Canada gun nuts, super nice lefty M70, Alberta boy, so might be close by, picking its a sensible weight, McMillan Hunter's edge stock
https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...chester-M7o-FW
Old 01-19-2018, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernman View Post
Just seen this on Canada gun nuts, super nice lefty M70, Alberta boy, so might be close by, picking its a sensible weight, McMillan Hunter's edge stock
https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...chester-M7o-FW
That would be a very good option for sure.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-19-2018, 10:48 PM

Another vote here for sako finnlight. I have a couple, 7RM and 260. The 7RM isn’t really a light weight but the 260 is under 6 lbs no scope. It’s no ultra light but with scope will be under 7. Also the detach mags have a mechanism built in so you won’t loose a mag on the mountain. In my opinion it’s the most dependable compared to these semi-customs you are thinking about,,, but not as cool hah. Bang for your buck best option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2018, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForwardBias View Post
I have considered getting a KS built, with a wildcat stock. Do you know if they accept m700 triggers? Would be cool to put a trigger tech in one and have a Canadian rifle.

Also i am not totally set on a weight. Seven pounds and under for bare rifle is kind of what im looking at. I know i would not want a 300wby in a 5 pound rifle for example.
Pretty sure the new 2 lug are Rem trigger compatible. They are the two pin attach type. In Wildcat stock of similar weight to the KS model, my Stiller action, # 2 Kreiger profile came in at 6.5 lbs incl the scope bases. The 2 lug KSA looks about the same weight as the Stiller Predator.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:08 AM

Does anyone own a Montana rifle company X2? I know they are not light weight from factory, but im sure one could shave some weight off with McMillan stock. Hows the quality of these rifles?
Old 01-20-2018, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Does anyone own a Montana rifle company X2? I know they are not light weight from factory, but im sure one could shave some weight off with McMillan stock. Hows the quality of these rifles?
Even with a McMillan stock they will be heavy.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-20-2018, 08:47 AM

The KS might work. I thought it came with an integral rail. But really, 6.5 pounds sans scope is not light.

-Billy Molls
Old 01-20-2018, 09:46 AM

Official definitions - naked rifle (without mounts/optics). Source: “260 said it first”
Heavy sporter/Varmint: 8.0 - 8.9 lbs
Standard sporter: 7.0 - 7.9 lbs
Lightweight: 6.0 -6.9 lbs.
Ultra-Lightweight: less than 6 lbs
Old 01-20-2018, 10:39 AM
Banned

Could check out the rmr rifles at corlanes. Tim or rod should be able to set you up with what you desire.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Official definitions - naked rifle (without mounts/optics). Source: “260 said it first”
I agree and there is a huge difference between a 7 1/2 lb rifle and a 5 lb rifle that most won't get till they pack the 5 lb one for a week.

As to the Montana, nice gun but you won't ever make an Ultra Light out of one. You might be able to get it to the 6 Lb mark. The two I tried both shot good but were on the heavy side.

I have a stock Zastava LH in 7x57 with a 23" barrel that I have bedded and am now reshaping the stock. I have it down to 6.4 LBs with the factory walnut stock shaved down. I was doing this for a better fit and appearance, not to save weight. I could easily get it under 6 Lbs, (probably in the 5.5 Lb range) by contouring the barrel, shortening to 21", putting in aluminium bottom metal and putting it in a McMillan or Wildcat light weight stock. Making a 6 lb gun is not much of a trick if that is all you want to actually do.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:10 AM

How are the ultra lights to shoot? Having never shot one I don't know how they handle. I have read that they can be tricky to shoot, not as steady as a lightweight rifle.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
How are the ultra lights to shoot? Having never shot one I don't know how they handle. I have read that they can be tricky to shoot, not as steady as a lightweight rifle.
A heavy bench gun is easier to shoot than any sporter of the bench but for hunting I find no problems shooting the NULA ultra light. 2 bullet weights, 2 powders 4 different loads, out of a 5 LB 308 NULA. 100 yards. Target squares are 1/2" on a side.

Old 01-20-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:

Mixing metric and imperial measurements, always comes out wrong,

I think your too heavy, and would run the same weights, but scoped,

Ie ultra-light less than six lbs scoped rifle,
Six to seven pounds - lightweight,
Old 01-20-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernman View Post
Mixing metric and imperial measurements, always comes out wrong,
I think your too heavy, and would run the same weights, but scoped,
Ie ultra-light less than six lbs scoped rifle,
Six to seven pounds - lightweight,
Measuring pounds in tenths turns them metric...who da thunk
Too late to change the definition or what is included. It is settled
Got to admit I am not one who feels like he lost a contest because his rifle weighs an ounce more than the one a bench over. As long as my hunting rig is a consistent shooter and comfortable to carry, it is perfect.
Old 01-20-2018, 05:03 PM

these weights are straight from mike as KS arms. 3 lug long action is 1lb 13oz. their stock from wildcat is 20-22oz before pad, studs, etc. aluminum rail 2oz. depending on what you do for barrel length you can be into a 6 pound gun before mounts/optics. So 7 pound gun, so long as you don't put a telescope on it. Last i talked to mike they still had a pretty short turn around time, but it was getting longer with more work coming in.

You'd likely be about 5k for the full build depending on options etc. Id rather spend that on a full custom than the same money on a sako, forbes, nula, etc.

The reports I've heard back on the sako carbon light, is that they're a finnlight in a carbon stock. the weatherby ultra lights are nice if you're a weatherby fan. Nula, and the production forbes have been talked about for a long time as having qc issues, some are great some are lemons.

One gun that peaks my interest that i haven't heard mentioned yet is the barrett field craft, barrett lists them as 5-6 pounds on their website.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:48 PM

Lots to think about. The NULA is standing out, and I am going to handle a HS precision soon. Thanks for the input fellas.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Even with a McMillan stock they will be heavy.
The new MRC X3's will be somewhat lighter.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Thumper View Post
The new MRC X3's will be somewhat lighter.
What are they changing?

-Billy Molls
Old 01-28-2018, 06:01 PM

Id go KS Arms myself to. More control of what you want. decent price for a very nice custom rifle.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:09 PM

Im looking into a KS build. I got a quote, and was pleased with what they are charging. It would be nice to hear some reviews of their new action.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:29 PM

Quote:
So I have been toying with the idea of a lightweight back country rifle. As i am a lefty this limits my choices. Even still options exist that have my curiosity. Here are some potential choices, and my initials impressions. Any input would be appreciated, especially from those whom have experience with these models.

Weatherby ultra light: Nice looking rifle, fairly light, and highly regarded in my small circle. I haven't handled one, but have a strong interest in them. As for cartridge available in 257wby, 6.5-300wby, and 300wby. The downsides i see with these units are weatherby cartridges themselves. 257bee burns much more powder than the 25-06 for a gain of roughly 200fps. Same idea with the 6.5. The 300bee is gonna hammer back in the ultralight. I also prefer shorter barrels, actions, and non belted cases. Still a strong contender.

Sako 85 Carbonlight: Available in left hand in standard short action cartridges. Very light from what i understand, and Sako is quality stuff. I dont know very much about this rifle, but like what i see. Light carbon stock, shaved/fluted metal work, and in a 20 barrel. If i did go with one, id buy in a 308 win. Pretty expensive for a factory rifle, as high as 4000 bones from what ive seen. The only thing thus far i dont like is the detach magazine. Im a blind, or hinged floor plate man for hunting rifles. Strong contender.

HS precision PHL: I know of one in province in 300wsm that i may drive out to handle. Very light, accuracy guarantee, reasonable barrel length, and i like the cartridge. The one i know of is priced around 5000 northern pesos, and that is expensive for a production rifle. Two things that concern me are the detach mag, and the hefty price tag.

Fierce edge: Long action only, Sako 85 clone with a M700 top profile. Accuracy guarantee, reasonable priced, and middle for the pack for weight. Pesky detach mag, and long barrels/actions. Chambered in some awesome cartridges. Luke warm on these.

Black ram rifle: I just know the basics on these rifles. Open to any information offered, or personal experience. Sounds like around a month for delivery.

Custom option: Surgeon, stiller, or borden action. 300 WSM, 300RCM, or 300Saum. Manners, or mcmillian stock. Many options, price widely varies. Only downside is the wait time.

Any other considerations?

So your pretty much set on something in a .30 cal from what I see on most of your examples?