Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 01-09-2018, 01:34 PM

Default Stream/River closures

Folks,

For 60 years, my angling activity has been limited time after time from limits of 15>10>5>2>1>0 and now stream closures. This really didn't effect me a whole lot as I've turned my catch loose for over 40 years.
And yet again, the Govt wants to restrict my angling efforts.
However, the real culprits are still out there.
http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/...0#.WlUV_yMZNsM
So, don't by into the BS as I have done for for 60 years. Angling is only part of the issue and we have done our part.
How about the other users get pounded on this time?
I'm tired of drinking the Koolaid.

Regards,

Don
Old 01-10-2018, 08:18 AM

Thankyou for this. And yes, the kool-aid sure stinks these days.

Last edited by NUK SOO KOW; 01-10-2018 at 08:36 AM.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:23 AM

Thanks for the share mr. A
Old 01-10-2018, 10:44 AM

Default Great article!

This is a great example of good research yielding relevant data. I noticed however that this research is dated 2005...will anyone in AEP even acknowledge data that is 13 years old? (I hope so) but what would be even more interesting would be if this research were repeated now!

Thanks for sharing this Don! It's nice to read research that tells the truth about the effects of resource development...If only a balance could be found to develop responsibly...and preserve our environment...but bottom lines are more important I guess.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:51 PM

Great scientific article Don, thanks for sharing. it will be part of my arsenal at tonights AEP meeting in Calgary. Clearly shows that environmental habitat concerns should be at the top of AEP's list rather than blaming everything on recreational fisher people.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:14 PM

Don,

Cube was the IP of the thread entitled "Government of Alberta January Public Engagement Sessions".

He has listed a number o walleye and pike info sessions, and also listed sessions for the North Central Alberta Native Trout Recovery plan sessions in Edmonton.

I went onto the website under My Wild Alberta website - http://aep.alberta.ca/about-us/publi...-sessions.aspx

I cant seem to find if this session is a go or not. I think the more people that attend these session the better. Do you know if the session listed by Cube for Tues Jan 16th at Queen Mary Park is a go?

Do you know if there are any other information sessions??
Old 01-10-2018, 05:33 PM

As far as I know, there were two sessions. Calgary and Edmonton. There is some discussion that one MAY happen in Red Deer.
Tis very unfortunate that the time wasn't taken to engage all users and demonstrate what activities by all were to be completed to effect change.

Don
Old 01-10-2018, 07:39 PM

Good luck being able to voice your opinions.I have been to a number of them.They take NO questions until the end.By that time they're out of time,because they used it all up telling us what they intend to do..Good Luck..
Old 01-12-2018, 09:41 PM

[QUOTE=yetiseeker;3706439]Don,

Do you know if the session listed by Cube for Tues Jan 16th at Queen Mary Park is a go?

That session is at the next regular meeting of the Edmonton Trout Fishing Club on Tuesday, January 16 2018 - 7:00 PM @ Queen Mary Park Community Hall.

"A short business meeting will be followed by our guest speaker Jessica Reilly - Senior Fisheries Biologist for Rocky Mountain House & Mike Blackburn - Senior Fish Biologist for Edson making a presentation on the north central native trout recovery program."
Old 01-12-2018, 11:01 PM

Here is the aep link to the program.

http://aep.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/...y/default.aspx
Old 01-13-2018, 08:24 AM
Banned

I tried to bring this up in another thread about the cutthroat, pike and walleye, but some putz told me I was trolling. All I was asking is if someone knew anything about what was going to happen to fishing this year in the province. The good old NDP government has a hidden agenda.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:16 AM

RZR.... yes... Alberta outdoorsmen are in big trouble.. hardest part is just getting people to read between the lines... open their eyes.... Phillips/Y2Y=bad news. Our fishery could be world class here in Alberta with great sustainability with proper educated management. Instead the answer from the current govt...shut it down...
Old 01-13-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUK SOO KOW View Post
RZR.... yes... Alberta outdoorsmen are in big trouble.. hardest part is just getting people to read between the lines... open their eyes.... Phillips/Y2Y=bad news. Our fishery could be world class here in Alberta with great sustainability with proper educated management. Instead the answer from the current govt...shut it down...
Let's get this right. The fishery in in trouble due to many years of uncontrolled abuse. The issue is whether or not the fishermen will bear the brunt of any changes when others who are the largest cause by far of fisheries habitat issues again get away Scott free.
This govt, unlike the past Govts, have at least acknowledged the issue. Unfortunately, they have pointed the gun in the wrong direction.

Don
Old 01-13-2018, 10:05 AM

Default The rest of the story

When I review the fact sheets info on the AEP website, it sure looks like the recovery program consists of more than just fishing closures.

http://aep.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/...y/default.aspx
Old 01-13-2018, 12:13 PM

The fact sheet talks about culvert lowing and the like. Those issues were iIDed many years earlier by several biologists.
About time.

Don
Old 01-13-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
Let's get this right. The fishery in in trouble due to many years of uncontrolled abuse. The issue is whether or not the fishermen will bear the brunt of any changes when others who are the largest cause by far of fisheries habitat issues again get away Scott free.
This govt, unlike the past Govts, have at least acknowledged the issue. Unfortunately, they have pointed the gun in the wrong direction.

Don
Yes sir fisheries have been neglected regardless of what government has been in power. What I said was educated management would be the key. Our current government is making decisions based on eco-extremist views which basically points to people being in the back country. Get rid of them first, and I’m sure industry will follow. Instead of Spending millions of dollars creating parks that will never generate revenue and operate at a loss, imagine with that money would’ve done placed in the right hands for educated non-biased fisheries management. Their first answer is always shut it down. Instead of working with the people who use these fisheries.Excellent ideas have been put forth for decades only to have the governments ignore them. Example slot sizes, and letting the big ones go to reproduce. Other provinces have implemented this and are doing well.

Last edited by NUK SOO KOW; 01-13-2018 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:08 AM

There are two fly anglers in this province who have done more for the coldwater fisheries of this province than every other angler combined... One is Don Andersen,,, the other is Don's cohort Barry Mitchell (RIP Barry).

Thank you, Don, for bringing up this issue. The rest of us would be wise to heed his advise and demand that those responsible for degrading habitat be held accountable and responsible instead of just pointing fingers at anglers!!!
Old 01-17-2018, 12:23 AM

Pike....

My thank for the accolades. Was in the dumps after reading TU response to closures.

Regards,

Don
Old 01-20-2018, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
Pike....

My thank for the accolades. Was in the dumps after reading TU response to closures.

Regards,

Don
I saw TU's response on Facebook last night and was disappointed too.