Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-18-2018, 05:23 PM

Thumbs up I am done with winter, I am ready to go fishing

My buddy in LA that took us out there and then into Mexico on the party boat keeps sending me pictures of tuna and skipjack and yellowtail and 14 pound lobsters

I am thinking that it may be time to head out and find some warm salt water. After I get my year-end done of course.
Anyone else going out? Or have you gone this winter? Where to either?
I haven't dipped a line since September in LA, and I tell you, I am getting the shakes real bad!!! Taking pictures of the Mexican restaurant seafood is the worst thing I did, I think

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-18-2018, 06:37 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Getting your rear end done first? A little nip and tuck....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-18-2018, 06:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Getting your rear end done first? A little nip and tuck....
Only after you ass ess it.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:47 PM

?

year-end

book keeping

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 01-18-2018, 08:36 PM
Banned

WOW !!!!
Old 01-18-2018, 08:44 PM

Hey Ken, how does it work on a boat of that size? Do you just take turns on the rods/fish? Lots of rods on the go I'll bet, eh?
That food looks amazing!!
Old 01-18-2018, 08:51 PM

Looks like a great time.
What kind of fish is that in the last picture?
Old 01-18-2018, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Racks View Post
Hey Ken, how does it work on a boat of that size? Do you just take turns on the rods/fish? Lots of rods on the go I'll bet, eh?
That food looks amazing!!
Not at all, everyone has several actually. Its big enough that 28 guys can have fish on, it is a fine dance of 'going over ' and 'coming under' as guys bring in the catch. It is very cool to watch and get on on. The food was incredible, that was from San Pedro Cali

Old 01-18-2018, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrush View Post
Looks like a great time.
What kind of fish is that in the last picture?
Deep fried tilapia

Old 01-19-2018, 12:35 AM

It's nice that you have seafaring friends down there. Makes it easier to go. Or maybe send your LA friends some pictures of a big laker or brown trout you caught ice fishing up here.

Just Wondering.... The fish you call Yellowtail, is that a tuna or a snapper? And the big 10+lb lobsters... Do you just boil the beast in a cauldron or split them in half and bbq? How do you dispatch a 14 lb lobster? 22 short?
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 01-19-2018, 06:11 AM

Damn you Ken! So close to surviving this winter and now I can't stop thinking about surf fishing for sharks off Western port bay.

Yellowfin is tuna
Old 01-19-2018, 08:36 AM

Yellowtail mullet

Old 01-19-2018, 06:33 PM

I'm going tomorrow. Hard to compare Lac.St Anne hard water to salt water but it's still a day at the lake
Old 01-19-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
It's nice that you have seafaring friends down there. Makes it easier to go. Or maybe send your LA friends some pictures of a big laker or brown trout you caught ice fishing up here.

Just Wondering.... The fish you call Yellowtail, is that a tuna or a snapper? And the big 10+lb lobsters... Do you just boil the beast in a cauldron or split them in half and bbq? How do you dispatch a 14 lb lobster? 22 short?
I missed lobster season by about a week, had I known I would have tried to reschedule. I haven't tried the bugs there. He is actually going to fly to Rupert and fish with me for a week or 2 this summer. He is so excited about big salmon and real halibut he is getting a passport for the first time. Pictures go back and forth all the time.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:57 PM
Banned

Hit the high road then pal😁
Old 01-19-2018, 08:03 PM
Banned

I’m sick of your sniveling, you sound like my wife. That’s why the boys come here, to get away from that crap!
Old 01-19-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
I’m sick of your sniveling, you sound like my wife. That’s why the boys come here, to get away from that crap!
Your wife has a big deep voice? You may have 'bigger' problems buddy

Old 01-19-2018, 08:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Your wife has a big deep voice? You may have 'bigger' problems buddy
I would be more than happy to take things down a notch😁 at this point I’m not sure if you are a him/her?
Old 01-19-2018, 08:14 PM

I’ve fished the west coast from Victoria to Rivers Inlet a lot but never made it as far as Rupert. How far do you have to travel each day Ken and can it be done out of a smaller boat?

I hit the west coast of Vancouver a Island each year but the last couple have been a real bust unless you travel out to the highway. Nootka has just plain sucked the last 3 years straight during the first week of August.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
I’ve fished the west coast from Victoria to Rivers Inlet a lot but never made it as far as Rupert. How far do you have to travel each day Ken and can it be done out of a smaller boat?

I hit the west coast of Vancouver a Island each year but the last couple have been a real bust unless you travel out to the highway. Nootka has just plain sucked the last 3 years straight during the first week of August.
We have done 30 and 80 mile runs, go to 1 place then head out for halibut, then out to a honey hole for groundfish. Depending on weather we have stayed right in the port when too ugly. I would say the average is 40 but that is because we are still fairly new and are learning spots, chasing the yacht club listening to reports and the radio. We explore quite a bit too.

I have seen guys way out in little tin boats, they are way braver than me. What do you call a smaller boat? I was thinking years ago of taking my Bayliner Arriva 2050 out but after being in mine when water turns big, I would have stayed quite close.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
I would be more than happy to take things down a notch😁 at this point I’m not sure if you are a him/her?
Take things down a notch now. Stop the BS.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:47 PM
Banned

Alright, the man has spoken, maybe I was a bit harsh. My bad
Old 01-19-2018, 08:53 PM

Quote:

I have seen guys way out in little tin boats, they are way braver than me. What do you call a smaller boat? I was thinking years ago of taking my Bayliner Arriva 2050 out but after being in mine when water turns big, I would have stayed quite close.

I’d be fishing out of a 17’ Explorer. I’m not interested in going 40 miles out.

I was more wondering if there was any decent Spring fishing around Digby? Somewhere a guy could get in along some kelp beds in relatively protected waters. I haven’t checked to see if the inside waters are open come July/August.

Do you need to head out that far for Halibut? Like I said, I know very little about Rupert. I did guide for many years in Nootka though and lived in Campbell River for most my life so I’m familiar with being on the water and what my present boat could and shouldn’t do. Unfortunately owning a decent ocean going boat and living in Fort McMurray don’t really go well together. My Explorer would be far from ideal and would pound the heck out of us but it can take a bit of water. You should have seen what we fished Nootka out of in the late 80’s. The first few times I fished Bajo was in a 12’ Lund. Man, we’re we ever stupid back then. Lol.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
I’d be fishing out of a 17’ Explorer. I’m not interested in going 40 miles out.

I was more wondering if there was any decent Spring fishing around Digby? Somewhere a guy could get in along some kelp beds in relatively protected waters. I haven’t checked to see if the inside waters are open come July/August.

Do you need to head out that far for Halibut? Like I said, I know very little about Rupert. I did guide for many years in Nootka though and lived in Campbell River for most my life so I’m familiar with being on the water and what my present boat could and shouldn’t do. Unfortunately owning a decent ocean going boat and living in Fort McMurray don’t really go well together. My Explorer would be far from ideal and would pound the heck out of us but it can take a bit of water. You should have seen what we fished Nootka out of in the late 80’s. The first few times I fished Bajo was in a 12’ Lund. Man, we’re we ever stupid back then. Lol.
There is a real good kelp bed in Metlakatla pass, which is a very well protected area, may catch some springs there. There are always tons of crab traps there, so that there is life there. There are a couple spots much closer for hali but I would have to show you on a map or navionics webapp. Or, come fishing with me and share some guide experience on my boat? Safety in numbers.
I have heard people have caught hali in the port, and seen lots of guys trolling for salmon, I have caught neither. Just out the south end though I have caught double headers of coho

Old 01-19-2018, 09:17 PM

Thumbs up

I'll be heading out soon - to some nice warm Caribbean water - two weeks of scuba diving in Cozumel

Mr Conservation
Old 01-19-2018, 09:59 PM

I keep telling the wife I'm going to take the leap and buy a nice boat. Depending on when I choose to retire, could be anywhere from 3 to 13 years, though with a kid to put through school I doubt it'll be the shorter, I keep telling her I plan on doing some serious fishing, maybe retire to the island. Would love to buy something that is big enough for the chuck, yet not too huge that I can't get decent use out of it here in AB prior to retirement. Have been looking at aluminum so far, something in the 20' range maybe, Weldcraft, ThunderJet, etc... Basically I just don't want a one trick pony. Might just be a pipe dream, who knows. I'm not well off by any stretch, but do make a pretty good living, and will have a very good pension. So, I can see dropping 50k on a nice boat, but anything more than that might meet some resistance from the boss.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
I keep telling the wife I'm going to take the leap and buy a nice boat. Depending on when I choose to retire, could be anywhere from 3 to 13 years, though with a kid to put through school I doubt it'll be the shorter, I keep telling her I plan on doing some serious fishing, maybe retire to the island. Would love to buy something that is big enough for the chuck, yet not too huge that I can't get decent use out of it here in AB prior to retirement. Have been looking at aluminum so far, something in the 20' range maybe, Weldcraft, ThunderJet, etc... Basically I just don't want a one trick pony. Might just be a pipe dream, who knows. I'm not well off by any stretch, but do make a pretty good living, and will have a very good pension. So, I can see dropping 50k on a nice boat, but anything more than that might meet some resistance from the boss.
I thought the same, and after fishing 2 trips with Jamie I decided that it was time to drive to Quebec for my boat. I want to do these things while I have the ability financially, physically and mentally. I will still have the boat when I am older, if I don't go to a bigger one at some point. I could use my boat in Slave or Cold, but after salt I just have 0 interest at all playing with pike or trout in the sloughs here. I prefer glass to aluminum for ride in big water, but I see the allure of aluminum for weight and fuel economy too.
$50g will get a VERY nice boat if you go far enough east.

Old 01-19-2018, 10:32 PM

Quote:
I thought the same, and after fishing 2 trips with Jamie I decided that it was time to drive to Quebec for my boat. I want to do these things while I have the ability financially, physically and mentally. I will still have the boat when I am older, if I don't go to a bigger one at some point. I could use my boat in Slave or Cold, but after salt I just have 0 interest at all playing with pike or trout in the sloughs here. I prefer glass to aluminum for ride in big water, but I see the allure of aluminum for weight and fuel economy too.
$50g will get a VERY nice boat if you go far enough east.
I remember seeing your post from a while back, you drove out and bought a 28' Pursuit was it, or similar?

I'm a bit leery of biting off more than I can chew. Biggest boat I've ever owned was a 14' aluminum with a 15hp tiller. To be honest, the trailering, docking, etc... of a big boat is a bit intimidating.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
I remember seeing your post from a while back, you drove out and bought a 28' Pursuit was it, or similar?

I'm a bit leery of biting off more than I can chew. Biggest boat I've ever owned was a 14' aluminum with a 15hp tiller. To be honest, the trailering, docking, etc... of a big boat is a bit intimidating.
26' seaswirl striper 350 hp inboard

Trailering is a dream, it just tags along like a well trained puppy. Docking is fine with some practice, easier with a good guy on the boat that can handle bumpers or a gaff to pull you in the last couple feet if windy. It just takes practise, I am still learning too. I had a 20.5 cuddy cabin and a 20.5 arriva before the tubtoy

Old 01-20-2018, 12:34 AM
Banned

edit

Last edited by drhu22; 01-20-2018 at 12:39 AM.