Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-14-2018, 03:34 PM

Default Help Creating a "Pipe Rifle" stock

all right i have decided on a new project. its from a videogame series called Fallout. specifically Fallout 4 ill put a link to the rifle idea below.

My plan is to take my left handed savage mk 2 and cut the stock off i have pretty well two ideas.

the first is easier but less interesting.

so shoddy editing aside my though is to create a buttstock out of copper pipe. my biggest worries is mounting the pipe to where the arrow is behind the bolt. there is enough material to screw into there but I'm not sure how strudy that will be. the bottom however is easy as there are already mounting spots that i can tap into. the stock its self i can make more sturdy.

my next idea would be to actually get rid of the stock completely and make one from pipe and other scraps essentially mounting it to the barrel and the action. my questions are mainly accuracy based. so if i get rid of it and switch to a stock rigged out of other materials how bad would the accuracy be? in my mind i would think that because the sights mount to the barrel that is an inherently accurate system. but i know that bedding stocks and other things make the rifle accurate so will i be able to hit anything?

the last thing is what are my legal issues? i will probably make it a full size rifle but do ii have to worry about the rifle being to short? or that the butt stock could be removed? should it be one unit?

any ideas you guys have would be awesome. my hope would be to go with the second route as i can keep the wood stock. but if i cant hit anything ill go with the first.

https://www.google.ca/search?biw=128...v_yu_orny3AQM:
M
Old 01-14-2018, 04:54 PM

Default Accuracy

Well, I don’t think accuracy was your main goal or you’d stay with the original setup. Seems like you have a creative idea and it’s an inexpensive gun. Go for it, only you have to be ok with it, and of course “the law” as well. I can recall exactly what overall length must be with the stock, 660mm? You can look that up on Canadian Firearms Centre “ overall length for Non-restricted Firearms”.
Beinag able to remove the stock does not play into it. I think keeping the stock uncut is a good idea in case the pipe idea does not work. Just put it back on.
It’s only a 22, so accuracy may be ok, but you’ll never know till you try!
Have fun with your project.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:39 PM

I try not to judge other people's ideas of builds, everyone has their own idea of cool builds.

However here I need to ask - why?
Old 01-14-2018, 07:18 PM

I like your idea but don't wreck a perfectly good rifle, find a old one with a broken or missing stock to start the project. That way it's more realistic and you're not ruining a perfectly good rifle. I've actually got a air rifle that someone did this with, if you'd like you can have it for $20, I got it as part of a "If you want one you take them all" kinda deal.

As far as legalities the barrel must be 18" or more and the over all length must be 26" or more, if you make a folding stock it still needs to be 26" or more with the stock folded. Thats my understanding anyway.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:21 PM

That looks pretty gross.
What would possess someone to buy a left handed rifle?
Old 01-14-2018, 07:35 PM

I can't come up with a good reason to ruin a perfectly good rifle because of a video game. At least try and find a broken stock to experiment with.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:26 PM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
That looks pretty gross.
What would possess someone to buy a left handed rifle?
I have an odd love of low Resale value, low quality, and set ups regular people don't want to use.
Old 01-14-2018, 08:28 PM

Put the tools down and step away from the gun...

No offense, but what do you hope to get from making it look like a video game piece? Maybe have a look online and see if you find something aftermarket that will satisfy your urge to modify it, building a stock out of copper pipe is not going to work well for you, sorry.

If you really have your heart set on modifying it though, post some pics of the rifle from the video game, and maybe we can be more helpful as how to build a functional piece. And I have built and modified a few rifle stocks myself but am just an amateur so I understand the urge to change or build stuff.

Edit, I just had a look. Not sure why you'd want to make that. Are you ok with just a replica instead of modifying a working rifle to look like a hack job piece of junk?
Old 01-14-2018, 08:38 PM
Banned

Old 01-14-2018, 08:49 PM

I had to look up the game to get an idea of what you're after. I was thinking something along the lines of steampunk but the images I saw were more like something cobbled up in prison or a third world ghetto. I could imagine something along those lines, I've been known to build a thing or two out of copper pipe before...

As for attaching it to the portion of the stock that you'll be retaining that's easy, there's easily a few ways to accomplish that. Drill & tap the stock and use a copper x male pipe adapter. Utilize a threaded adapter flange (galvanized steel flange with two screw holes, typically seen behind a non frost proof hose bibb). 7/8" drill bit would allow for 3/4" copper pipe. Bending can be accomplished, there are means to reduce kinking when doing so. Heat in various spots makes for a nice patina

Creating a way to make it convertible back to near-stock would be good, but then a person could always just have an entirely separate stock for the action.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody c View Post
Put the tools down and step away from the gun...

No offense, but what do you hope to get from making it look like a video game piece? Maybe have a look online and see if you find something aftermarket that will satisfy your urge to modify it, building a stock out of copper pipe is not going to work well for you, sorry.

If you really have your heart set on modifying it though, post some pics of the rifle from the video game, and maybe we can be more helpful as how to build a functional piece. And I have built and modified a few rifle stocks myself but am just an amateur so I understand the urge to change or build stuff.

Edit, I just had a look. Not sure why you'd want to make that. Are you ok with just a replica instead of modifying a working rifle to look like a hack job piece of junk?
Really it's a bit of fun and i get to break out the tools and hit up the hardware store. own the gun and I'm not particularly attached to it. Also I want to own a 22 thats just weird and wild. Also I think if I do it right it could have a rather nice look more steampunk than trash.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilt134 View Post
. Also I want to own a 22 thats just weird and wild. .
How bout duct tape and lego or conduit and pop rivets
Old 01-15-2018, 10:07 AM

It's the interface between the wood stock and the start of the copper pipe that will be the challenge. Do you know a metal fabricator? If you could cut the stock cleanly, have a pc. of steel cut to the shape OF the raw end (with C/S holes drilled for screws) a steel rod (machined to the ID of the copper pipe) TIG welded cleanly to it at the angle you want...then a copper pipe (or fabricated copper pipe stucture) could be brazed onto it. Looking at those photos...it might not look as rough/authentic...but it's how I'd approach it. The steel interface pc. might have to have a piece added to it that screws into the side the stock as well, because if you're cutting near the wrist of the stock...there isn't a ton of "meat" there.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:17 AM

What we gots are selfs hear is a feller who ain’t quites ups ta speeds on his histary.

Times ya gets up ta speeds, and figgers some stuffs out.

Or gets yer mush outta da game station.

There are no absolutes
Old 01-15-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogger View Post
It's the interface between the wood stock and the start of the copper pipe that will be the challenge. Do you know a metal fabricator? If you could cut the stock cleanly, have a pc. of steel cut to the shape OF the raw end (with C/S holes drilled for screws) a steel rod (machined to the ID of the copper pipe) TIG welded cleanly to it at the angle you want...then a copper pipe (or fabricated copper pipe stucture) could be brazed onto it. Looking at those photos...it might not look as rough/authentic...but it's how I'd approach it. The steel interface pc. might have to have a piece added to it that screws into the side the stock as well, because if you're cutting near the wrist of the stock...there isn't a ton of "meat" there.
I was wondering if a simple DIY solution could be to leave enough stock to drill 1" or so deep holes equal to the OD of the copper and epoxy them into place.

Scraps of copper sheet metal could also be applied to the remaining stock or little copper whatever inlaid into stock to add to the steam punky feel.

I do not know the game that inspired this, but given the popularity of cosplay I think many would find this project pretty cool.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2018, 09:14 PM

This might help ya out. Your going to have to leave some meat there to attach your part that transitions from wood to pipe you could get one of those 3/8 rod flanges https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cramik-E...002A/100196310 with some beefy screws to get that party started. If you have access to a vice and a hammer you could even buy 3/8 round stock and thread the first bit so you could attach lockwashers and nuts to keep it in place. You can use the vice and hammer to beat that rod into what ever shape you want.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F6B2140F-57CB-4595-8070-1B206D365C61.jpg (25.2 KB, 28 views)
Old 01-16-2018, 10:26 AM

I think the police will look dimly on your Halloween costume this year

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.