Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-15-2018, 08:02 AM

Default CZ 455 VARMINT 17hmr (new-rifle purchase)

Will be looking for a new rifle purchase in CZ455 VARMINT heavy barrel 17hmr
Prefer the traditional hunting turkish walnut stock (no thumbhole laminate etc)

If anyone sees one with especially nice wood - please let me know.
P&D lists this rifle @ $635. so that gives me a price benchmark.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:21 AM

You will never look back; what amazingly accurate rifle.

One thing, I wish I had the thumb hole stock. I like the feel of "really locking up" with the rifle.....
It is a personal thing I know.......just saying.....

You'll will find yourself shooting gophers out to near 200 yards so make sure you have a decent scope; a fine reticle is a must.
Enjoy,

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:28 AM

Default stocks

After- market stocks are surely available...
BOYDS makes beautiful thumbhole stocks - not sure if they are available for the CZ 455 ...but I have had them for centrefires and they are extremely great value at a very fair price.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:42 AM

I've never shot a 455, but have owned a couple of 452s (including a "Varmint" model in 17HMR) and they're terrific shooters. Were I shopping for a CZ rimfire...I'd track down a 452 or 453 over the 455. The barrels are threaded into the receiver and to most people...that's a superior design. The barrel on the 455s are held on by grub screws. CZ markets that as an advantage to shooters (=barrel swaps possible) but I personally don't know anybody who doesn't think it was a move to simply cut manufacturing costs.

The only difference between the 452 and 453 is that the 453 has the added benefit of a set trigger. You'll pay about $100 more for one. Both the 452 and 453 are discontinued, but they pop-up often in new...or like-new condition. My last 452 (22LR, Varmint) came from Prairie Gun Traders.

Again, I've never shot a 455...but having read allot about the pros/cons of all these models, I think tracking down a 452/453 is worth it.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogger View Post
I've never shot a 455, but have owned a couple of 452s (including a "Varmint" model in 17HMR) and they're terrific shooters. Were I shopping for a CZ rimfire...I'd track down a 452 or 453 over the 455. The barrels are threaded into the receiver and to most people...that's a superior design. The barrel on the 455s are held on by grub screws. CZ markets that as an advantage to shooters (=barrel swaps possible) but I personally don't know anybody who doesn't think it was a move to simply cut manufacturing costs.

The only difference between the 452 and 453 is that the 453 has the added benefit of a set trigger. You'll pay about $100 more for one. Both the 452 and 453 are discontinued, but they pop-up often in new...or like-new condition. My last 452 (22LR, Varmint) came from Prairie Gun Traders.

Again, I've never shot a 455...but having read allot about the pros/cons of all these models, I think tracking down a 452/453 is worth it.
Just to play devil's advocate i have a sako quad which you can also switch barrels on with just a tourqes key. Seemed pretty gimmicky but i have a 17hmr and a 22wmr barrel for it. The rifle needs to be resighted in after the swap but its only out by about 3 inches.

If the cz is compairable to the sako quad its far from a gimmick and it works very well if you want to own less rimfire guns and add versitility ammo wise. 17hmr can get expensive shooting a brick a day, 22lr not so much. Ive been waiting about 6 months for my 22lr barrel to come in and cant wait to see how it shoots. Waiting for stoger to import more barrels is the worst part about my sako.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:34 AM

I've never shot a SAKO Quad, but I trust they got that feature right. The 455 is probably a fine gun too. All I'm saying is that given the choice between a 455 and a 452 (or 453)..I don't know anybody who'd choose the 455.

I do (rather, did at the time) read allot about both guns on CGN and Rimfire Central. I'd urge anyone shopping for CZs to do the same. Interestingly, CZ recently revealed that they have a model 457 in the works, and the optimists among us are hoping CZ has moved back to the way the BRNOs, 452s, 453s were made. Very little is known about them, save for a few "sneak peak" photos. They may be a year out though..
Old 01-15-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogger View Post

I'd be a candidate purchaser for the model 453 that you've described.
I'm not interested in a feature that allows barrel changing.
My preference would be for a set trigger.
I'm in no rush so maybe something will pop up
Thanks
Old 01-15-2018, 10:35 AM

I have the 452 Model Varmint ...had KSA take the creep/overtravel out of the trigger and turn it down to 2lbs...I did some epoxy bedding at the tang. With consistent wind, an 80% kill ratio on gophers to about 165M off a bipod. Blows ‘em up good!
Like all RimFire, best advice is to test a box of every brand ammo you can get your hands on to establish best results.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:59 AM

Yo Dave sells an excellent trigger kit for these rifles.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-15-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaAl View Post
Thanks
Hey Al~I'll keep an eye out for you. The 452 triggers are easily (and affordably) upgraded with a YoDave kit if you can't find a 453.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
I have the 452 Model Varmint ...had KSA take the creep/overtravel out of the trigger and turn it down to 2lbs...I did some epoxy bedding at the tang. With consistent wind, an 80% kill ratio on gophers to about 165M off a bipod. Blows ‘em up good!
Like all RimFire, best advice is to test a box of every brand ammo you can get your hands on to establish best results.
^yep, HMR is great gopher medicine. No shocker to anyone who's used one for that of course. My CZ gopher gun is a 452 Varmint in 22, but I run the CCI Blazers (which shoot very well from it) over a Waltz die. Nice, nasty hollow points are the result. Not HMR gooey...but the effect makes the effort very much worthwhile. Since the only thing I use HMR for IS gophers, I couldn't justify another CZ for use 7-8 days a year. Mine is a Marlin 917 with a Rifle Basix trigger. I wish it WAS a 452 Varmint...but it sure gets the job done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Yo Dave sells an excellent trigger kit for these rifles.
^yep!
Old 01-15-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Thanks
Check Canadian Tires, the one in Lethbridge had a large selection of CZ rim-fires last year when i picked up a 455 Canadian for my uncle.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:43 AM

I have a CZ455 combo. Both barrels are accurate (more than I am at least). The rifle holds a constant but different POI after a barrel swab. Zeroed at 100yd I know, I have to correct the scope 15clicks on windage and 18 clicks on elevation. Barrel swab and scope correction can be done at home, so in the field I just do one or two confirmation shots.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:26 PM

Well being a huge CZ fan I have to chime in too. I have 2, a 455 Canadian in 17 HMR and a 455 Heavy barrel with thumb hole stock in .22 lr. The Canadian is an awesome gopher slayer, about the furthest I have shot with it is about 150 yards. The thumbhole stock in .22 is amazing, my favourite for punching holes in paper. I was originally going to upgrade the barrel and trigger but the first trip to the range told me not to bother. At 50 meters one hole 5 shot groups with cheap Federal ammunition.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Will be looking for a new rifle purchase in CZ455 VARMINT heavy barrel 17hmr
Prefer the traditional hunting turkish walnut stock (no thumbhole laminate etc)

If anyone sees one with especially nice wood - please let me know.
P&D lists this rifle @ $635. so that gives me a price benchmark.

http://www.flysetc.ca/cz/
http://northprosports.com/index.php?...roduct_id=5233
http://store.prophetriver.com/rimfire-1/
https://www.reliablegun.com/en/non-restricted-rim-fire
https://vfirearms.com/shop/firearms/rimfire-2/
The links above list some cz rimfire,not what you are looking for,but you could always contact them. I didn't include one sponsor because i have never shopped at that store.
I use p$d as a reference also,and have had success at prophet river.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:06 PM

452 and 453 CZ rifles are selling for WAY to much money right now...buy a 455 and enjoy.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:52 PM

I’m glad when I bought my 17hmr that they were still making them in a left hand 452.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
I’m glad when I bought my 17hmr that they were still making them in a left hand 452.
I wish I did the same. I may settle for putting a Boyd's EVO stock on a rightly. A bipod and an oversized bolt handle - about as tacticool as I'm willing to get.

Colin
Old 01-15-2018, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
452 and 453 CZ rifles are selling for WAY to much money right now...
Depends on whether you’re buying or selling
Old 01-15-2018, 11:40 PM

Both...
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.