Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-15-2018, 01:56 PM

Default Backpack prairie hunting?

I'm intending to focus on getting an archery mule deer buck this year. From the last few years (1 draw/rifle killed doe, 3 tag soups) I've realized that hunting the northern prairies, where one must seek permission and hunt quarter by quarter, is a huge time sink and really only works for those who live in the area. The constantly changing conditions from harvest, cattle movements, weather, etc meant the deer I had found in the summer were gone, and even if found required spending time on yet another round of mostly unsuccessful in-season permission seeking instead of hunting. Also the whole "deer hops fence, day over" thing really limits the enjoyment of the hunt.

is it possible to get permission on large (many square mile) tracts of land in the south and backpack hunt for mulies? Or do those landowners/leaseholders not allow this type of activity? My hope is to hunt on foot, with camp on my back and sleep where I end up; no interest in motels, campgrounds and the like.

Stupid idea or do-able with hard work and boot miles?
Old 01-15-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
I'm intending to focus on getting an archery mule deer buck this year. From the last few years (1 draw/rifle killed doe, 3 tag soups) I've realized that hunting the northern prairies, where one must seek permission and hunt quarter by quarter, is a huge time sink and really only works for those who live in the area. The constantly changing conditions from harvest, cattle movements, weather, etc meant the deer I had found in the summer were gone, and even if found required spending time on yet another round of mostly unsuccessful in-season permission seeking instead of hunting. Also the whole "deer hops fence, day over" thing really limits the enjoyment of the hunt.

is it possible to get permission on large (many square mile) tracts of land in the south and backpack hunt for mulies? Or do those landowners/leaseholders not allow this type of activity? My hope is to hunt on foot, with camp on my back and sleep where I end up; no interest in motels, campgrounds and the like.

Stupid idea or do-able with hard work and boot miles?
Some large ranches in the south, trick is to go fireless and convince the lease holder you are going fireless. After this summer, most lease holders are pretty sensitive about fires.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-15-2018, 03:39 PM

Default Consider clean water sources?

I've tried that style of hunting a couple times - the main thing to consider (at least in my area) is water... where are you going to get it? Even with a purification system or tablet, most of the water available in the prairie zones isn't something i would consider drinking... dugouts and cattle waterers mostly. Not NEARLY as many fresh springs and creeks as in a foothills or mountain zone hunt.
I do day trips from the truck and/or i place caches of the necessities (mostly water) before the season starts. It's also a great way to scout the area and hopefully nail down a shooter buck or two to a given area (say a square mile, if the food sources are there). Any water you place along the way should be put in a UV proof container, preferably somewhere in the shade, and where cows can't get it!

I honestly don't do too much backpack style hunting... the largest ranch i normally hunt on is about 35,000 acres, but cut up by lease and access roads. I'll often leave a cache at several lease sites before the season, and clear out anything i haven't used at the end but f the season. I make sure that the landowners and field operators know I'm doing this well in advance. This makes day trips, and the occasional overnight stay bearable. I DO agree that the best route is to go fireless- the moment a land or lease owner hears you plan on making campfires, i would imagine you'll get kicked to the curb quite fast.
PM me if you need any other pointers or ideas. Mule deer hunting on foot, miles from the truck is an amazing experience.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:27 PM

There are land owners in the north who have large tracts of land too. I can't see really hiking in for a hunt on the prairies, any spot you pick will be accessible by vehicle anyway. We've hunted the big coulees in the south quite a bit and it's fantastic hunting but from a landowners perspective all you're asking is to camp and hunt on his land. You could can't and hunt from your truck and have your gear and water at hand.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:11 PM

Maybe in a river valley? There are some decent wilderness areas and parks that you can hunt in along rivers. Gives you some terrain to sit and glass on as well. Could try to get permission from landowners surrounding the river, and then camp on the crown land.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:12 PM

3blade - this is a great idea and I think it will be completely possible! There are landowners around medicine hat that own/lease multiple townships of land and approve any hunter that stops by, as long as they stay on the roads with vehicles (no issue to walk anywhere). They are definitely sensitive to fire - as was mentioned earlier - after last season.

Just look along a river - excellent water source (with treatment/filter) and the river hills hold tons of mule deer bucks and does, plus would give you lots of stalking opportunity with a bow. Be prepared for LOTS of wind in this area.

Definitely NOT a stupid idea. It would actually be a great adventure! I would grab a free landowner map found on this forum, then call the large landowners around the river areas to gauge their support. Good luck!
Old 01-21-2018, 08:21 PM

I think it's a great idea. Find the right landowner and away you go. As mentioned before those river/creek valleys and coulees would be an excellent place to set up a spike camp. Glassing, still hunting, spot and stalk would all be effective I would think. Water in that environment would likely be the main limiting factor both for you and the animals you're hunting.

My favourite hunts of the year are my backpack hunts(I pack into the mountains) whether with a partner or solo(I just started solo backpacking this past season mainly because my hunting partner recently moved and I don't want to just go with anybody). I found the solo hunts to be a lot of fun and challenging. I'm packing into grizzly country everywhere I go here in the Kootenays so having a partner around camp in the evening was more enjoyable and relaxing. Not something you'll really have to worry about as much out on the prairies but solo backpacking is riskier than having a partner along just because you are alone. Best of luck to you and I hope you find a decent tract of land to do your thing on. Definitely something that would interest me although I would miss having a campfire in the evening.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:02 AM

Is there prairie that can’t be driven to within a half days hike?

I’ve always found that the mule bucks come to the same doe herds that live in the same area pretty well the same time of the year. The only difference being that every 3or 4 years a bigger buck happens to show up.

Last edited by MyAlberta; 01-22-2018 at 01:08 AM.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:29 AM

This is something I'd like to do too. I never thought of actually camping on the ranch tho.
But the idea of the buck jumping the fence and the hunt is over is why I like the mountains more. Less fences.

A river float would be awesome, however the logistics of access permission would be tricky. Would have to use IHunter or something like it.

Good luck to you, and hope to read about it sometime!

John
Highlanderhunting.com