Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-13-2018, 08:33 PM
Banned

Default 3D shoot draw weight question

My son and I are both interested in shooting 3D. He is 12, both of us would be in a hunter category. Is there draw weight limitations? What are the sight and stabilizer limitations? He is using a React sight and a short stabilizer, I am using a Black Gold Verdict Ascent hybrid and an 8” stabilizer. He is around 40lb (constantly change it based on him growing), I am at 63lbs.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:18 PM

Doubt it has changed, 5gr arrow weight, per pound of draw weight, as a minimum. Ie; 350gr arrow, max @ 70lbs draw weight, 400 gr arrow is good for 80lbs. 63x5 is 315gr min arrow weight.
Sights and stabilizers, could be changed by now, was fixed pin was hunter, dial a prayer was open, magnifiers were open, and I forget the length on the stabilizers, there was something there about that, don't think 8" is anything to worry about, strikes me as it was 12". Seems to me rear stabilizers could boot you to open, may have depended on the shoot you were at though.

Last edited by 32-40win; 01-13-2018 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:01 PM

Hunter class,

Screw in tips, no glue in
40 yards max outdoor, 50 max indoor
Fixed pin sight 4 pins max
Once the first arrow of competition is shot, you cannot adjust your sight
Single front Stabilizer under 12" from point of attachment
No lenses

Hunter glass is deemed as developmental By Archery Canada and is not a championship class (you can't win a Provincials or Nationals shooting it any longer)

LC
Old 01-13-2018, 10:15 PM
Banned

I won’t be winning any provincials or nationals anyway, lol. I’ll have to get another pin on my sight as mine is a 3 pin. Other than that I don’t think we have any issues.

Thanks guys.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
I won’t be winning any provincials or nationals anyway, lol. I’ll have to get another pin on my sight as mine is a 3 pin. Other than that I don’t think we have any issues.

Thanks guys.
Be aware that hunter class is rarely offered anymore. It's unfortunate, but unless it's a specific "hunter" shoot, you may not find a hunter class. Most likely it will be MBR/CFP class.

LC
Old 01-23-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Be aware that hunter class is rarely offered anymore. It's unfortunate, but unless it's a specific "hunter" shoot, you may not find a hunter class. Most likely it will be MBR/CFP class.

LC
Is there a class that's similar to hunter class, that doesn't use lenses, big stabilizers etc ? I'm thinking about trying some 3d this season too.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:50 PM
Banned

http://ibo001.businesscatalyst.com/2...BO%20RULES.pdf

This is the most comprehensive rule set that I found, that actually has the different classes.

MBR is Bowhunter Release:
. Bowhunter Release
(MBR
)
A compound, recurve, or longbow shot with no restriction on stabilizers or style of release. A sight
shall have fixed
-
pin, cross
-
hair, or circle style pins without a lens or magnification. If circle style
pins are used, all circles must be the same size.
Sights may not be adjusted after entering the
shooting course. Note rule change III.C.6 concerning peep sights. MBR archers will shoot from the green stake.

CFP is Compound Fixed Pin and is the same class with a different name from what I could find.

One thing I did note is that with this rule book, men can go to 80lb draw weight. In the link from the Alberta Archery site it says maximum of 60lb. I'm not sure what rule set most of the shoots use. I'm set at roughly 63lbs depending on the scale that's used.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdrenalin View Post
Is there a class that's similar to hunter class, that doesn't use lenses, big stabilizers etc ? I'm thinking about trying some 3d this season too.
MBR/CFP is a multi fixed pin class with no Lenses allowed. You can have a front and/or back bar(s) of any length.

LC
Old 01-23-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
http://ibo001.businesscatalyst.com/2...BO%20RULES.pdf

This is the most comprehensive rule set that I found, that actually has the different classes.

MBR is Bowhunter Release:
. Bowhunter Release
(MBR
)
A compound, recurve, or longbow shot with no restriction on stabilizers or style of release. A sight
shall have fixed
-
pin, cross
-
hair, or circle style pins without a lens or magnification. If circle style
pins are used, all circles must be the same size.
Sights may not be adjusted after entering the
shooting course. Note rule change III.C.6 concerning peep sights. MBR archers will shoot from the green stake.

CFP is Compound Fixed Pin and is the same class with a different name from what I could find.

One thing I did note is that with this rule book, men can go to 80lb draw weight. In the link from the Alberta Archery site it says maximum of 60lb. I'm not sure what rule set most of the shoots use. I'm set at roughly 63lbs depending on the scale that's used.
What is a “circle style pin”? I shoot a MBG ascent Verdict with 4 regular fiber optic pins but the top 3 are .19 and the bottom one is .10. Is that going to be permitted in this class or are those pins considered “circle style pins”?

Morb
Old 01-23-2018, 03:01 PM
Banned

I don't know. I just went in to JimBows today and ordered a 4th pin, green front in a 19, as that's what my other pin sizes are. The biggest thing for me is just the draw weight. I tried turning it up this afternoon. I figure I got it to 71lbs. I'm a big guy and I can pull it, but I just didn't like it. I went back down to 63 and still don't know if i'm good. But it's time to shop for a stabilizer soon.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:33 PM

Circle style pins are out dated, I never received a clear answer on if fiber optic pins could vary in size. Mine are all 10 thou anyhow.

LC
Old 01-23-2018, 04:25 PM

Scottmisfits, can't comment on 3D or Target stuff still learning myself but..
don't go up in DW more than 3 lbs. at a time across 2-3 weeks
(5 arrows min. 3 times a day min.) at that same weight.

If you go over 3 lbs increase it will have problems like neck cramps, elbow pain etc.
While your young these aches and pains will go away in say 4 or 5 days
when you get older they stick around for a while.

I've found over the years to get back up in DW for me it was best at 2.5 lbs.
increase for every 14-15 days shooting 3 times a day.
5-6 arrows min. 3 times a day for 2 weeks min.
Then go up another 2.5 lbs.

P.S. 20 arrows 20 times a day will not speed up the process. :-)

The draw should always feel smooth and not have to fight or attack it to
break the peak of the cam.

Think you'll find the wobble of the pin goes away when your bow arm isn't
straining to hold.

And with all that said .. Yes I highly recommend a good stab. makes a world
of difference on left and rights. Jimbows can help you with that.

Last edited by Bonescreek; 01-23-2018 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:01 PM
Banned

Starting small is always good. I’ve normally done this. Again, it wasn’t the weight that I had issues with, I just didn’t like it. I’m trying to find ways to get more speed and momentum,
Or at least keep one while improving the other. I thing draw weight is about the only way to get that. I’ll probably leave it where it is though. Who knows, maybe I’ll really like the 3D thing and buy a dedicated bow.
Old 01-23-2018, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Circle style pins are out dated, I never received a clear answer on if fiber optic pins could vary in size. Mine are all 10 thou anyhow.

LC
Well that doesn’t help me Lefty ! I don’t even know where to start in finding an answer but let the research begin as I would like to avoid changing pins if possible.

Morb
Old 01-26-2018, 12:54 PM

Hmmm, seems like there likely plenty of ways to confuse a person on the rules these days, was going that way 15 yrs ago. 3d's have been infiltrated by people worrying too much about little things. Typical stuff for any human competitive sport I suppose. If you have a bow and want to go see how you do against others and meet a bunch of new people and have some laughs and a good time, then go and do it. Maybe they won't find a class to put you in that reflects the equipt you have, maybe they will. You only have to please yourself, you are the only one that is taking and making or blowing a shot, and you won't be alone at it. There will be better shooters, there will probably be worse ones as well. maybe you are one of the guys with old school equipt that can kick the unlimited boys butts, and if you can, prizes or no, you know you did it. If you want to do it to practice for hunting and learn about judging yardage on various terrain and making kill shots, that is what it was setup for. Some shots on those targets are kill shots and only score 5's, but you can walk away knowing you accomplished what you needed to do.