Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-20-2018, 07:32 PM

Default Hunting arrows?

So what's everyone shooting in their hunting rigs? I recently picked up a new Bowtech Reign 7 and and wanting to get some new arrows. At the moment I'm just shooting some older gold tips I have from my last bow. I'm a 27.5" draw and the bow is at 72lbs. So what are ya shooting?
Old 01-20-2018, 09:11 PM
Banned

Deciding between the Easton Axis in either 5 or 6mm, or the Easton Hexx. With my setup they all give the same kinetic energy, with a couple of ft/lbs. it’s the speed factor that will come in.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:31 PM

Somewhat depends on what you'll be hunting but the Axis is a rock solid option in most cases. What are your goals?

I am currently playing around with Victory RIP and RIP XV shafts for some fairly high FOC arrows. I like to keep my hunting shafts around 300 fps or just under so I'll typically add weight to get it there.

Currently shooting an Xpedition Xcentric 6 at 72 lbs and 30 draw. There's more than enough speed to be had but I subscribe more to the importance of momentum and a healthy bit of FOC rather than speed.

It's just my opinion, but I feel speeds over 300 fps force the choice of an expandable and if using one, you need momentum to carry through the animal more than just KE and speed.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:07 PM

I know one thing I regret when I first got my arrows is I didn't pay attention to arrow weight as much as I should have. I'd personally go for 440 grain plus on your arrow weight. I like victory VAP's with the steel outsert or Easton axis with the brass insert. Those would be my two id pick from currently. Would go with a set of illuminated nocks and aae max hunter vanes.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:21 PM

Usually it's Easton 5mm FMJ with regular aluminum insert or 5mm Axis with brass or stacked aluminum inserts. HIT inserts. 125g. point wieght with blazer vanes and Luminock nocks.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:19 AM

For the past few years it's been gold tip big game 100's, nocturnal jocks, 3" turkey feathers, 50 grain inserts and 150 grain broadheads. Total arrow weight is 530 grains and I get them off my riser at a bit over 290 fps.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:45 AM

Goldtip Hunter XT in the correct spine for your bow, they have never let me down yet.

LC
Old 01-21-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
For the past few years it's been gold tip big game 100's, nocturnal jocks, 3" turkey feathers, 50 grain inserts and 150 grain broadheads. Total arrow weight is 530 grains and I get them off my riser at a bit over 290 fps.
Wow! My FMJ's weigh in at 525, but probably don't look anywhere close to those. Are those 100 deflection?

Coil, can you snap some pictures? I'm interested in seeing those.

J.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:01 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Easton game getters 2219....got a load of these left from 1992 the year I bought my Jennings sonic XLR....use them now for gopher, squirrel, rabbit and stump shooting...

For moose and other critters its Easton fmj....from the same ol'bow....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-21-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passthru View Post
Usually it's Easton 5mm FMJ with regular aluminum insert or 5mm Axis with brass or stacked aluminum inserts. HIT inserts. 125g. point wieght with blazer vanes and Luminock nocks.
Oops I meant Nocturnal nocks.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Goldtip Hunter XT in the correct spine for your bow, they have never let me down yet.

LC
X2

And it is a bonus that you have some old ones left from your previous set-up, as they will be good for gopher and grouse hunting. The only problem I have had with Gold Tip is losing them once in awhile because of my error, definitely not the arrow's fault.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:49 AM

Default Hunting arrows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
Wow! My FMJ's weigh in at 525, but probably don't look anywhere close to those. Are those 100 deflection?

Coil, can you snap some pictures? I'm interested in seeing those.

J.

I've got the older big games that are .250 deflection. I believe the current version is .200 spine. Either way these work for me at 80lb draw weight and 30" DL. I shoot many different broadheads but my two favorites for elk/moose are the 1.5" original German kinetics and the 1.25" vpa.

Nothing wrong with the fmj. I've still got a few myself.

What I like about the gold tips that I use is how tough they are. I've tested them by shooting into paving stones at 80lbs and not damaged one (I've also never had one fail on an animal). I don't have to foot them and I've never broken one. After having arrow or insert glue failure with many other arrows that's become a big deal to me. Not only because arrows cost money but because it can cost an animal on a tough/bone impact.

Last edited by Coiloil37; 01-21-2018 at 08:57 AM.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:25 AM

Awesome guys! I do like the golf tips I have and haven't had any issues with them. When I was getting to bow set up at Jim bows they were talking about the Victory VAP. I didn't know anything about them and after a bit of research they do peak my interest.. any reviews on those?
Old 01-21-2018, 12:32 PM
Banned

My buddy has been using some pretty thin VAP's for the last couple of years with good success. Pass through on both deer he shot with them. The nice thing about the small diameter arrows is that the wind has less of an impact on them. You can get heavy or light. I looked at some 340 spine today I think it was that were 7.4gpi.

At a 29.5" draw, and a 63lb draw weight, 449 grain arrows fly at 265fps. That also gives me 70ft/lbs of KE. I want to lighten up a bit, and go faster. That speed is based off of 9.6gpi. If I go to 7.9gpi (390grain total), everything else the same, I get up to 285fps and my KE also goes up 0.5ft/lb. I may look into the 7.4gpi and type them into the calculator and see what kind of numbers come from it.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhaulerhunter View Post
Awesome guys! I do like the golf tips I have and haven't had any issues with them. When I was getting to bow set up at Jim bows they were talking about the Victory VAP. I didn't know anything about them and after a bit of research they do peak my interest.. any reviews on those?
VAP's are great! Love mine. High FOC, penetration is crazy, and they are very consistent from arrow to arrow.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:04 PM

I have been using older gold tips. Now I'm using newer gold tips.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:45 AM

I'd have a look at the new Victory Extorsions. Looks like a better option than FMJ's with the same inside diameter and GPI. You could still use HIT inserts or victory inserts. They look more durable and less prone to bending. Probably my next arrows
Old 01-27-2018, 07:51 AM

Can't beat CX Maxima reds spined to your speed!!