Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 01-20-2018, 11:22 AM

Default Leader Links

Anybody ever use those lil plastic "leader links"? Im not real well versed on flyfishing stuff and only just saw one a week ago.

Interested why it seems nobody uses them, pros or cons.? They seem to be a real handy little item.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post
Anybody ever use those lil plastic "leader links"? Im not real well versed on flyfishing stuff and only just saw one a week ago.

Interested why it seems nobody uses them, pros or cons.? They seem to be a real handy little item.
I am really not sure what you are talking about. Many things can go on a leader. Where was it on the leader? How small is 'lil'?

The only thing I can think of is a tippet ring, which is a tiny ring, but usually made out of metal, used to connect leaders to the final piece of tippet.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:25 PM
Banned

I've use them. They are "OK" on light lines (2 or 3 wt.), but the last ones I got were too soft a plastic and tended to stretch and break. Gave up on them. I've gone to using the "Rio braided loops" and while a little tricky to install, work very well. Haven't had a problem yet. They are, however, more than 10 times the price.
Old 01-20-2018, 02:39 PM

Learn to tie a nail knot. Last longer. Smaller.

Don
Old 01-20-2018, 02:44 PM

cheaper lots of knot tying demo's on you tube etc..
Old 01-20-2018, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
Learn to tie a nail knot. Last longer. Smaller.

Don
Agreed. With a little epoxy or Zap-a-Gap the nail knot will last forever, and it's the least expensive option!
Old 01-20-2018, 06:37 PM

I have no problem tying all the knots including the nail knot. Ive even learnt to tie it without the tool. Thats not why i was asking.

Im just a curious guy about stuff ive not tried. I like to find out why those who have been at flyfishing for quite awhile dont use certain stuff. Thats the reason for the post.
I cant find any for sale in the city and im not ordering one small $5 pack from the US without finding out why folks use or not. Mail will cost more than the pieces.

Fishing Hole shows them but none in stock so. Think i got the answer i needed so i wont continue to pursue it any further. Figured it must be a bit of a gimmick or i would have seen more around using them. But thanks for the replies.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:48 PM
Banned

Nail knots work fine, but it bugs me that every time I change leaders I have to shorten my fly line. Braided loops all the way. Live in the present. Nail knots have gone the way of the dodo bird.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortsideK View Post
Nail knots work fine, but it bugs me that every time I change leaders I have to shorten my fly line. Braided loops all the way. Live in the present. Nail knots have gone the way of the dodo bird.
Dont braided loops use up more line to install? So if you have to take one off dont you have to cut it off line and all?? Or do braided loops last the life of the fly line?
Old 01-20-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Dont braided loops use up more line to install? So if you have to take one off dont you have to cut it off line and all?? Or do braided loops last the life of the fly line?

I believe they last the life of the fly line. At least mine has.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 01-20-2018, 07:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
I believe they last the life of the fly line. At least mine has.
I, too, have yet to replace one.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:12 PM

I'm assuming you're talking about braided loop connectors, as others have suggested. They are terrific but you must remember to get the right size for your line weight. Yup, they come in different sizes. The problem is not all of the packages have that information listed so sometimes you don't know what you're getting.

Anyway, they work well and mine has never come off in 5 years of fishing. I don't use Zap-a-Gap. I don't like it for fly lines because it's nothing more than cyanoacrylate.... crazy glue. Exact same formula, but made in a different viscosity. If you have ever used cyano, you'll notice that it hardens the material that it is bonding to. So, you end up cracking your line and it loses its ability to float due to water seeping through the cracks.

Instead, consider the following method. Throw out the clear tube that comes with the connector (some people say it's a heat shrink tube, others say that's not the intended purpose, but rather a pressure lock for the end closest to the loop) Get either some Aquaseal or something called Airstop.

Measure the length of the line that will get covered by the connector and coat that part (and maybe a half centimetre longer) in the absolute thinnest coat of either substance. Let it dry as per instructions.

Once dry, work the loop connector over line. Work it as far as possible (try getting it into the portion of the loop connector that doubles up on itself near the loop.)

Once positioned, re-coat the measured length with another thin coat or the same material you used. Let dry. Go fish.

If you use Aquaseal, maybe get some cotol 240 to thin it and make it easier to apply a thin coat. It will also dry faster. I might only do the last third of the connector From where it slides over the line moving towards the loop. I find Aquaseal sinks if you build it up to much.

I prefer Airstop. Fly line is a nylon core coated in PVC. Airstop is a repair glue specifically for PVC. It sort of "melts" into the item being repaired, and the subsequent layers melt in to the previous layers. Really great stuff! So the first coat is used to provide a layer to melt into the next coat. Since the braided connector isn't PVC, it gets sandwiched between the two coats. If you get the coats thin enough, you don't lose much line flexibility and you end up adding more crack resistance to the end of the fly line. Floats really nicely.

Airstop is also used for repairing pinhole leaks in PVC inflatables. No patch needed. You can get it at Army and Navy for sure, but also most places that have a good selection of camping gear.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post
I am really not sure what you are talking about. Many things can go on a leader. Where was it on the leader? How small is 'lil'?

The only thing I can think of is a tippet ring, which is a tiny ring, but usually made out of metal, used to connect leaders to the final piece of tippet.
I dont know how to post links to here but if you google Eagle Claw Leader Links you will see what i was asking about originally. They tie the leader into the flyline
Old 01-21-2018, 08:07 AM

Quote:

I had to look these up to refresh my memory! Yes, I used these when living on the coast on my steelhead and salmon lines, best invention since sliced bread but haven't been able to find them any more so changed to the nail knot or the loop connections.

PM me on where to buy!
Old 01-21-2018, 10:14 AM

Nailknot a 6-8 inch piece of 20lb-25lb Maxima to the end of your fly line. Tie a perfection loop in the other end of the piece. Now you have a loop on your line and can add and remove leaders as often as you want without any impact on your fly line. Once completed. the connection should be 2-3" long and will turn over very cleanly. It doesn't hinge the way those God-awful braided loops. (Sorry SamSteel and commieboy, but they are crap IMO.) I have nailknot loops that are 3 or 4 years old on some lines and still don't require replacement.
Old 01-21-2018, 03:18 PM

I just nail knot a short chunk of line, on the end of the fly line, and put a swivel on it, at least on any kind of a sinking line, or a chironomid line. Sometimes run one on a dry fly setup to kill off leader twist with big flies as well. Makes it real easy to change from a tapered to a straight to a washing line or to a dry leader. On any flourocarbon leader I run another one on it for the tippet to attach to. Plenty of very small, high poundage swivels made for fly fishing around, they run thru the guides no sweat.
Old 01-21-2018, 03:34 PM

Whipped loops .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFluzChZSlo

Simple, easier to do than installing a braided "Chinese finger trap" loop,,, and dare I say,,, properly tied and sealed whipped loops will have a lower failure rate as well.

Nail knots are good but will eventually fail as the fly line coating wears.