Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-14-2016, 04:15 PM

Default Jeep Wrangler?

Hey all

Thinking of purchasing a jeep wrangler or rubicon either 2011 or newer...however Im not too sure given that I hear they aren't the most reliable or fuel efficient vehicles out there. Any Jeep owners on here that could comment on your experiences?
Old 02-14-2016, 06:13 PM

My 2013 Stock Sport gets 10L/100km in the summer. If you lift it or put big aggressive tires it's a gashoor. It will be worse then a half ton.

If your looking for reliability and or mileage then your looking at the wrong vehicle.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:23 PM

Have had 2 a 2 door and now a 4 door no issues with either. If you are looking for fuel economy don't get a 4x4. They are a square box on wheels, fun to drive but not economical
Old 02-14-2016, 06:27 PM

Driving a Jeep is like driving a toaster down the road. No aerodynamics and they are not efficient. The Rubicons are the worst offenders as they are running low geared differentials like 4.11's. They are great for hunting and fishing but the 2 door wranglers etc. are a poor choice for a daily driver. I currently have one and would not be without one as a second vehicle.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:45 PM

I have a 2014 2 door wrangler. It's a pig on gas, worse in the summer when I have the "cool factor" rims and tires on. It isn't overly dependable and I just had to put a new rad in it. But for an old guy it is a great vehicle to park in town, goes almost anywhere. Putting gut shot coyotes in the back can be a little rank at times.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:56 PM

Had quite a bit of experience with the jeeps! Jeep wranglers are underpowered as are the rubicons, that being said I don't own one, but have owned other great off road vehicles. My best friend however owns a rubicon and I will vouche for the fact that it has absolutely amazing off road capabilities, probably the best I've seen. I personally would stay away from the factory wrangler as it is horrible in icy conditions. Bare in mind that if this vehicle had more power, to compensate the fuel consumption it would be a lot better choice. My friend also had to put 8000$ in repaires the month after warranty passed, and that it completely crapped out at 250k, most of these being highway miles. I don't wanna crap on jeeps because they have a good product, but you may wanna consider a Toyota Tacoma, or even a Nissan Frontier, they consume around the same amount of fuel, but with ample power allowing up to 6500 towing capability, great off roading capability, lots of passing speed, and in the same price range. Not to mention a box to put all your cool stuff in, again that being said the rubicon is our go to when going deep into the mountains on our fly fishing excursions.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:39 PM

Default Jkur

I'm on my second jeep which is a 2013 unlimited rubicon with 4.10 auto. The 2012's and up have the 285HP pentastar engine. THESE ONES ARE DEFINITELY NOT UNDERPOWERED. Mine is primarily used for hunting/fishing which is normally well under 100k from home. Great runabout for a small town as well. Fits its role perfectly.
Would not fit long drives well for me. I usually drive it at 80km/hr on the hwys. Its just not built for speed and handles accordingly. I could drive it faster but it just feels "right" at 80. And of course the rubicon features make it a fine offroader right out of the box...just add winch...
So yeah mine is a recreational toy but to drive far and frequently and own just one vehicle with better cargo/trailering capacity my ram 1500 4x4 would be more practical.
The 2 I've had have been reliable with no breakdowns whatsoever. Fuel mileage? Don't know...don't care...It does its job of getting me home from the woods everytime....
Old 02-14-2016, 08:43 PM

I have a 2013 Rubicon 4 door and love it! If you want fuel economy, drive your mom's Toyota. They aren't fuel efficient. Be prepared to replace windshields! Want to lift it, tons of options. Same with accessories. Get a newer one that doesn't have the minivan engine in it and enjoy!!

"She took all my money, she wrecked my new car, now she's with one of my good time buddies, and they're drinkin' in some cross town bar"!
Old 02-14-2016, 08:46 PM

I've driven a few.

Was very underwhelmed. Handled and drove terribly. Reports are they are hard in fuel. Be ready to put a windshield in it a few times a year.

Find them loud with the soft top. And the hard top is a bit of a operation to get on and off. And a bigger to store.

I don't go "wheeling". Or even bag my 4x4 pickup. So more 4wd capability is lost on me. So i really don't see the appeal.

Bad on fuel.
Unreliable.
Terrible ride

My 0.02
Old 02-14-2016, 08:51 PM

I am on my second jeep as well. Had a 2 door went to a 4 door, have never had any big problem with the jeep. I love it. I fish/hunt/4x4 and explore with it all year long. It goes about 600km on a $80 tank and in town 500-550 km so not to bad and I am on the mt. If you are looking for a go anywhere anytime type of car this in it!
Old 02-14-2016, 11:08 PM

They hold their value extremely well in 2014 they were ranked #1 for
holding their value
Old 02-15-2016, 06:37 AM

As Sinawalli said, be ready to replace windshield often. The short wheel base on the Wrangler can be a problem in icy conditions. It seems they become a fad once in every generation. Still like the look of them.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:01 AM

Default Jeep Wrangler?

If your looking for Strictly an off-roader a jeep is amazing. Highway safety is sub par. I never took mine much past 100km/hr. Avoid the 3.21 geared jeeps they're dogs with any tire size upgrade. Honestly I would never get a new JK model jeep again. They are not built the same as a YJ or a TJ. Look for a good TJ with a 4L and a manual transmission. I'm also not a fan of the 4door glam soccer mom jeeps. In tight trails a 2 dr always wins. 4drs are nice for rock crawling I suppose
Old 02-15-2016, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedJeep View Post
If your looking for Strictly an off-roader a jeep is amazing. Highway safety is sub par. I never took mine much past 100km/hr. Avoid the 3.21 geared jeeps they're dogs with any tire size upgrade. Honestly I would never get a new JK model jeep again. They are not built the same as a YJ or a TJ. Look for a good TJ with a 4L and a manual transmission. I'm also not a fan of the 4door glam soccer mom jeeps. In tight trails a 2 dr always wins. 4drs are nice for rock crawling I suppose
got a low milage 2007 4 door wrangler. stock, except for the biggest tires i could fit on the 16" factory rims [33"x10.5"]. didn't wreck the gas mileage enough to be a deal breaker, but gas milage isn't great to start with for Jeeps.
i'd love to swap in the axles from a ruby, add some lift, and go with a size or two up for rubber, but no spare cash lying around for that.

fun to drive, lotsa room for friends or family, never gets stuck in the snow.
...what's not to like?
Old 02-15-2016, 01:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckfever77 View Post
got a low milage 2007 4 door wrangler. stock, except for the biggest tires i could fit on the 16" factory rims [33"x10.5"]. didn't wreck the gas mileage enough to be a deal breaker, but gas milage isn't great to start with for Jeeps.
i'd love to swap in the axles from a ruby, add some lift, and go with a size or two up for rubber, but no spare cash lying around for that.

...what's not to like?
You'll need large axles to go any larger then 33's. If you want a true tank get Dana 60's or 80's hahahah. I have been thinking about getting some for my 91 jeep. You'll spend some good $$ tho, that's for sure.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/13...eres-the-beef/
Old 02-15-2016, 01:56 PM

Our daughter and son-in-law have one. It stays parked 95% of the time. Numerous minor irritating issues. Lousy, lousy and more lousy on fuel.

Looks cooooool though! And fun to drive with the doors off in the summer.

I told him to park it inside, covered and clean, for about 25 years. Maybe then it'll be worth something as a classic
Old 02-15-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckfever77 View Post

...what's not to like?
Just offering my opinion take it or leave it.
to long wheelbase
to heavy.
hate the v6s they put in now powderd metal con rods and valves. cheap valve seats. cant really beat the real iron you get in a straight 6 4L. and they are beasts when bored and stroked. zero after market for these new v6s
however sounds like you got a nice rig. getting ruby axles wont gain you much. the front d44 axle tubes are still thinner than a true d44 and small knuckles. kinda useless actually. youd need a new carrier for your current axles to run 4.10 or 4.56 gearing 4.56 being your best option cuz 4.10s are only really good to a 35 with a manual 6spd or 33/34 in an auto. but in reality a 35 is almost to much tire for a stock un gusseted d44 with either ruby or sport splined axle shafts.
Old 02-15-2016, 02:15 PM

Default Nnnnooooo!!!

The 2015 we bought is absolute junk! It's actually scary to drive. The steering wheel doesn't turn back coming out of a corner like most vehicles, just keeps turning. Had to have all the door seals changed within 5000 km because they leaked. There's a clunk in the drive line that the mechanics can't diagnose. The list is big.
But the good folks at Eastside Dodge say that nothing is wrong with it just keep driving it.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:13 PM

You know why they called it a Jeep?

Cuz someone had already used the word Junk
Old 02-15-2016, 07:56 PM

I've had two Wrangler Unlimited's. 2008 was a dog (underpowered) with the 3.8L eng. 2013 Unlimited Sahara with the 3.6L is great compared to the 2008. Don't understand the negativity? Guys buy a Jeep and want a Cadillac ride? I've bought two............you think I like them Oh yeah, drive them to Edmonton and Calgary regularly from CNP...............not a speeder but it creeps to 120 sometimes........and drives comfortably at that speed. The only negative is gas consumption. But nothing else will get you a Jeep..........except a Jeep.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
I've had two Wrangler Unlimited's. 2008 was a dog (underpowered) with the 3.8L eng. 2013 Unlimited Sahara with the 3.6L is great compared to the 2008. Don't understand the negativity? Guys buy a Jeep and want a Cadillac ride? I've bought two............you think I like them Oh yeah, drive them to Edmonton and Calgary regularly from CNP...............not a speeder but it creeps to 120 sometimes........and drives comfortably at that speed. The only negative is gas consumption. But nothing else will get you a Jeep..........except a Jeep.
I think the negativity comes from, a worse ride than a half ton, worse fuel economy then a half ton, worse reliability.

Most guys who own them don't go anywhere a half ton won't.

I always hear, "its not that bad" from wrangler owners. When selecting a new vehicle. I dont look for the one that "isn't bad".

When I bought my new half ton, i was amazed. It drives like a Cadillac. My wife drives it and forgets she's in a full size truck.

They aren't that bad, but they aren't that good either.

My opinion... I just don't see the appeal.
Old 02-15-2016, 08:52 PM

Default Jeep

I have had jeeps for 30 of the last 42 years. You wont get any negatives from me. They are what they are. Just as reliable as ANYTHING out there. And a helluva lot more maneuverable out in the bush and great in town too.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:53 PM

We have a 2015 wrangler unlimited. As mentioned don't buy a Wrangler if concerned about fuel economy. The ride is great, off road capabilities are great, fun factor hard to beat. Nothing better than taking the roof and the doors off and cruising around.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:46 PM

I too am on my second Wrangler. I loved them both. I track my mileage meticulously for work/tax reasons and I get better mileage in my wrangler than I did on my GMC Acadia. Obviously apples to oak trees, but notable given most would assume a family SUV to do better than a box on wheels. As for the down sides, sure they're a bit more noisy, and yes you will get to know when you're getting a deal on a windshield, but that doesn't even begin to put a dent in all the joy and fun of a Jeep. Top on, topless, t-tops, on road, off road, I have yet to find a place I can't go or a road that doesn't make me smile. Try driving Hwy 93/95 from Banff to Jasper with the top off sometime. You'll understand!
Old 02-16-2016, 12:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Grounds Coffee View Post
Hey all

Thinking of purchasing a jeep wrangler or rubicon either 2011 or newer...however Im not too sure given that I hear they aren't the most reliable or fuel efficient vehicles out there. Any Jeep owners on here that could comment on your experiences?
I don't have a Wrangler, I have a 2008 Liberty. I was going to replace it this year and took a real hard look at a 4 door Wrangler but I couldn't get over the price, by the time I had the options I wanted on it I was over 45k. It's about a 10k premium over a Xterra, Colorado, Cherokee Trailhawk, Tacoma or F150. None of which have the serious rock crawling style off road capability of the Rubicon but all of which can handle my fishing, hunting and whatever kind of off roading.

If it was just the 10k I could be swayed but it's also not a very nice vehicle to drive the other 95% of the time. All of the other mentioned vehicles would be more comfortable on the way to the office. All of them have more power and don't sound like a whistling outhouse going down the highway.

Also at 155000km my Liberty is kind of a junker. Bits of trim are falling off all the time, it rattles and squeaks from everywhere. I can't say I've had many serious mechanical problems other than a common to Jeep issue with the tranny popping out of first gear under acceleration. I finally tracked down a Service Bulletin that describes a fix but I missed my warranty end date by 10 days so Chrysler told me to pound sand, didn't like that much. I've never seen a vehicle fall apart like this.

In the end I figured I'd turn the Liberty into my weekend ride and I bought something else for a daily. I'm not about to throw a deer in the back of my new Mustang but it's significantly better on gas (seriously) and it's a lot more fun.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:01 AM

Toyota
Nuf said.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:13 AM

I'd buy a Yugo before I'd buy another Wrangler.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 02-16-2016, 05:35 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordfishing View Post
They hold their value extremely well in 2014 they were ranked #1 for
holding their value
That's because they are turned over so often and another fool sits and waits for one!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-16-2016, 05:37 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airdrie View Post
I too am on my second Wrangler. I loved them both. I track my mileage meticulously for work/tax reasons and I get better mileage in my wrangler than I did on my GMC Acadia. Obviously apples to oak trees, but notable given most would assume a family SUV to do better than a box on wheels. As for the down sides, sure they're a bit more noisy, and yes you will get to know when you're getting a deal on a windshield, but that doesn't even begin to put a dent in all the joy and fun of a Jeep. Top on, topless, t-tops, on road, off road, I have yet to find a place I can't go or a road that doesn't make me smile. Try driving Hwy 93/95 from Banff to Jasper with the top off sometime. You'll understand!
Sit in my truck shirtless does that count?

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-16-2016, 09:38 AM

I see all the pretty girls driving Jeep Wranglers. They must be good.