Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 10-25-2013, 12:42 PM

Default bow river winter fly fishing

Never tried but thinkin of givin it a go this winter. Any advice anyone wants to share would be much appreciated. Flies, depth, time, temp?
Old 10-25-2013, 01:05 PM

It works, and can work VERY well some days... Generally nymphs, SJW's etc in the deep holes. Biggest challenge can be keeping you line from freezing in your guides.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:13 PM

On warmer days you can even get in some dry fly action!

As mentioned already, your guides freeze up if it's too cold out, but fishing on a Chinook day can make for a nice afternoon of fishing.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:29 PM

it's great in the winter! I usually go when at least is above 0 degrees celsius. Two times when is sunny, I have caught fish in size 16-18 gnats, however, most of the time I caught them in nymphs: copper john, and flashy stuff. Lot's of white fish during winter...the good thing about winter fishing the bow...you won't find too many people around.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:15 PM

The 2nd to 3rd day of a chinook is the best, and in the hottest time of the day.
Less slush in the river, and water temps will warm up slightly and get both insects and fish moving more.

I don't fish when it's below 5 degrees...find it more frustrating at that point.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:26 PM

Wear a self inflating PFD!! Don't want to go under when an ice shelf breaks off! Also get rubber sole boots with cleats!!
Old 10-25-2013, 08:01 PM

Yessssir use spikes or cleats of some kind as well as pfd.took a bath last yr. it wasn't fun!!!!!!!!
Old 10-25-2013, 10:27 PM

Swing streamers!
Old 10-25-2013, 10:36 PM

Default w0rd

Go on warmer winter days. I generally dont go out if it is below -5. Forget streamers, they are useless in winter and use nymphs. If you are lucky you may get some dry fly action but it is rare.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gneisenau View Post
Go on warmer winter days. I generally dont go out if it is below -5. Forget streamers, they are useless in winter and use nymphs. If you are lucky you may get some dry fly action but it is rare.
Ya ignore this.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
Wear a self inflating PFD!! Don't want to go under when an ice shelf breaks off! Also get rubber sole boots with cleats!!
X2

This is critically important. You have to have good grip and pay attention. Felt soles are completely useless and dangerous in the winter.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:52 AM

I love winter fly fishing. Easily, the biggest fish that I have caught have been in the winter. Also, I consistently have more double digit days in the winter than the summer. The fish are harder to find, but once found, there will almost certainly be multiples. Of course, you do pad the numbers with whitefish, but whitefish in the winter tend to be better fighters than the winter trout.

It is mainly a nymph and streamer game. Yes, streamers work, but I tend not to use them. Even at 5C in December, January and February, the stripping action will cause the guides to ice up. They definitely entice a certain category of fish though---big. You have to get the fly deep, and strip slowly. The fish are not willing to spend a great deal of energy to get their food in the cold. There is a safety reason why I do not use streamers (see below)

Nymphs are the prime ticket. My go-to are SJWs and disco midge. Size 16 and smaller for the dropper. The fish are *rarely* in any of the main currents. They are almost always in water deeper than 1m. In the summer, I almost always cast-then-move-1.5m to work my way through a run. In the winter, I will give a 'good-looking' lie 3 or 4 casts before making a move. I tend to use a set amount of line, and avoid stripping or drawing line. This prevents the guides from icing.

BE CAREFUL. You need to be careful with the ice shelves. By mid December, they are fairly stable, but they still cannot be trusted. I have had a number of bad scares. They provide an quick transport area, but it is safest to walk as close to the bank as possible---rod in hand closest to the river, so if something starts cracking, you can grab towards the bank. I am 200lbs. When i want to get into the river, i sit down to spread my weight out, and slide into the river.

You need to dress properly and in layers. To spend any time in the river, you will need comfortable boots that are snug for stability, but with enough room to wiggle your toes and ankles. The wiggling is what returns the blood to your heart, and replenishes heat. Gortex waders and a good gortex jacket will help cut the wind. As well, if you happen to take a dump in the river, the gortex can be a lifesaver (if you have all the cinches done up).

When you are in the river, you have to pay attention to the ice floes. In December and January, there are always the occasional ice chunk, especially after a cold snap. They are silent and hard to see if you are in deeper water (i.e thigh deep). This is why i tend to avoid streamers---you tend to be facing downstream. This is fine when you are on the bank, but dangerous in the river. With nymphing, you look upstream so you always have a fresh view.

The Bow is beautiful in the winter. The fish are brightly coloured and your chances of catching a biggun is higher.
Old 10-26-2013, 08:07 PM

Yeah it's not pretty, but that's the technique for sure!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post

BE CAREFUL.

i sit down to spread my weight out, and slide into the river.

You need to dress properly and in layers. To spend any time in the river, you will need comfortable boots that are snug for stability, but with enough room to wiggle your toes and ankles. The wiggling is what returns the blood to your heart, and replenishes heat. Gortex waders and a good gortex jacket will help cut the wind. As well, if you happen to take a dump in the river, the gortex can be a lifesaver (if you have all the cinches done up).

When you are in the river, you have to pay attention to the ice floes. In December and January, there are always the occasional ice chunk, especially after a cold snap. They are silent and hard to see if you are in deeper water (i.e thigh deep). This is why i tend to avoid streamers---you tend to be facing downstream
Old 10-28-2013, 12:44 PM

Well thanks everyone for the advice. Helps a lot in getting started on a new season
Old 10-28-2013, 01:03 PM

I have an 8 weight rod and a 5 weight rod. I've only ever used the 8 for tropical flats fishing but was thinking of giving it a try if using streamers in the winter on the Bow. I have my tropical bonefish line, which I know to take off, a "normal" cold water weight forward tapered floating line, and an attachable 15 foot sinking tip line. But the advice here seems to be try nymphs first so go with the 5 weight floating line and a decent leader/tippet (say 9 feet)?
Old 10-28-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I have an 8 weight rod and a 5 weight rod. I've only ever used the 8 for tropical flats fishing but was thinking of giving it a try if using streamers in the winter on the Bow. I have my tropical bonefish line, which I know to take off, a "normal" cold water weight forward tapered floating line, and an attachable 15 foot sinking tip line. But the advice here seems to be try nymphs first so go with the 5 weight floating line and a decent leader/tippet (say 9 feet)?
I am not sure. The warm days on the Bow are almost always accompanied with a 30-60 kmh wind. My 4wt and 5wt do not see any use until spring. My friend prefers to use his 8wt over his 5wt, in the winter. I know that it is not as 'fun' to catch whitefish on an 8wt rod, but it does get the fish into the net and back into the river as fast as possible, and it punches through the wind noticeably better than my 6wt. Starting right away, my 6wt Sage VXP is my go-to rod for all my winter fishing.
I would be interested to see how you think the 5wt and 8wt compare.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Should work fine... I typically use a 6 wt with a floating line, indicator and multiple cannonballs to get the fly down deep enough into the holes. As someone said above, the fish won't move far to feed in the cold water, so have had the best luck bottom-bouncing the deep holes and tail-outs. Depending on where you end up and how deep the water is the 8wt might make it easier to chuck all that lead around, esp if it is blowing as it will with a chinook.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:43 PM

my experience on the bow in the winter 7 wt min. there are big fish and they are the big boys of the pools. I broke two off last winter bigger than any thing I have caught in the summer. I had one on my 7 wt take me to my backing twice. and it makes it way easier to cast all that lead.