Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-03-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Juice? View Post
Cat, you gotta take me shooting some day...
Maybe one day it'll happen!
However, if you get to Kamloops one weekend , lok up a few of the old guys like Mick McPhee or Paul Reibin, They have mor elong range experince in the otes than I do in my whole body!
Paul was shooting with my father and sullijr's father back in the old days when the .303 British was king!
Cat
Old 03-03-2011, 08:39 PM

I just heard today that there is a pretty good shoot in Kamloops.
Anyone been to it?

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 03-04-2011, 03:30 AM

stupid metric, it would just sound better if we all said 1000 yards. yeah id hope if i joined a club and we all got into f class shooting id learn some tricks of the trade , so far its just been me vs milk jugs at 1000. im pretty good at doping in too,sometimes i make the cold bore 1st round hit (less than 1/2)on them. but yeah the old timers would probably show me up. hey i got a question ,if we get doing this long range f class shoots is it calibre specific? only 308 win or can people bring their 338s LMs or 300/7mm magnums? 260s,6.5/284 etc etc. any rifle under 17 pounds right???
Old 03-04-2011, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf308 View Post
stupid metric, it would just sound better if we all said 1000 yards. yeah id hope if i joined a club and we all got into f class shooting id learn some tricks of the trade , so far its just been me vs milk jugs at 1000. im pretty good at doping in too,sometimes i make the cold bore 1st round hit (less than 1/2)on them. but yeah the old timers would probably show me up. hey i got a question ,if we get doing this long range f class shoots is it calibre specific? only 308 win or can people bring their 338s LMs or 300/7mm magnums? 260s,6.5/284 etc etc. any rifle under 17 pounds right???
There are two divisions if F class - F/TR and F/open.
In F/TR you have to shoot either 223 or 308 and the gun must weigh no more than 8.25kgs.
In F/open you can have a rifle 10kg. in any caliber , but realize that there are many ranges that have a caliber restriction, at Connaught you cannot shoot a .338 or larger caliber.
Also no muzzle brakes are allowed in any sanctioned Fclass match.
A cold bore shot BTW means nothing in Fclass, except that you put the first round into the target .
You must be able to fire either 10 or 15 rounds ( depending on the match)
into a target for the highest score at the given distance you are shooting.

You also have to do this within a certain time limit, so sometimes you have to shoot through a condition , and this can get complicated.

Now, the big advantage that F class shooters have over 1,000 yard bench rest shooters is we use spotters and each shot is marked so we can plot the scores on a sheet as we shoot.
In 1,000 yard BR that is not possible because of the rules involved.
A friend who shoots at Williamsport PA., the home of the original 1,000 yard BR club, once had a 100 yard agg of right around 8" - 10 targets of ten rounds each AVERAGING 8" (( They shoot for grouop size as well as score).
In the World Championships that year his practise shots were perfect
( they zero at clays on the berm) , but when he went to shoot for score he misjudged something and his second shot went RIGHT OFF the target!!
HOLY CRAP!!! "Thanks for coming out!" was what came to my mind when he told e that!!!
So you see, one round doesn't mean much in the big picture as far as shooting well goes, except to wreck a score!!

Cat
Old 03-04-2011, 09:55 AM

cool,thanx for the info,im covered my target rifle is you guessed it 308,but im building up another one in a bigger calibre so once i get proficient in that i could use that for the other type u mentioned.