Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-25-2017, 04:45 PM

Default Pro Athletes taking a knee during Anthem

What are your thoughts on athletes taking a knee during the National Anthem. Is it appropriate to take your political views to the field? Apparently Sidney Crosby is getting flack on social media for accepting an invitation to the Whitehouse? The players that are taking a knee feel they should not be judged for what they are doing and it's their amendment right, but they are reversing prejudice on those who don't?
Old 09-25-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk396 View Post
What are your thoughts on athletes taking a knee during the National Anthem. Is it appropriate to take your political views to the field? Apparently Sidney Crosby is getting flack on social media for accepting an invitation to the Whitehouse? The players that are taking a knee feel they should not be judged for what they are doing and it's their amendment right, but they are reversing prejudice on those who don't?
I'm doing something about it: any team that supports a player who kneels or doesn't show during the anthem ain't getting a minute of my time or a penny from my pocket.
You want to stand arm-in-arm, that's one thing, but kneeling/sitting/not showing up is extremely disrespectful to those that fought so those spoiled little brats could be heard, seen, and make millions. You want to protest, pick another time.
Trump has it right, suspend or fire!
Old 09-25-2017, 05:07 PM

I support their right to protest, but they need to accept any consequences without complaining. I think there should be fines or something for players/teams who don’t respect the anthem. See how devoted to their cause when it’s costing them money out of their pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-25-2017, 05:09 PM

Should be up to team owner. The athletes are working for them, so if there is policy, it should be followed. Their protest is technically on company time.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:13 PM

Everything these days is political flags, sports, etc. etc. I miss the old days when football was a game to enjoy. The base NFL salary is $750,000 a year go rent a stadium and protest till your hearts content.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:15 PM

Way of the world these days. Alot of folks have that soap box or a social justice warrior attitude. Looking for a reason to send a tweet get noticed ect.
I'm getting complacient over the amount of things in life that make others mad. Sad.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:21 PM

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbsn...g-nfl-players/

Quote:
97-year-old WWII veteran takes a knee to support protesting NFL players

4:28 PM EDT U.S.
BY JENNIFER EARL / CBS NEWS

Hours before NFL players across the league took a knee during the national anthem in defiance of President Trump on Sunday, one World War II veteran hosted a protest of his own — in his backyard.

"These people have every right to protest," John Middlemas, a 97-year-old farmer from Springfield, Missouri, told his grandson, Brennan Gilmore, before kneeling.

After a family discussion about Mr. Trump's view that players who kneel during the "The Star-Spangled Banner" should be fired, Middlemas decided to make a statement.

"We were having a discussion about it and you know, the idea that people were pointing to disrespecting military servicemen as justification for these comments," Gilmore told CBS News. "He wanted to send a message of solidarity to them."

So Middlemas walked outside to the backyard, got down on one knee and posed while his daughter, Maile Auterson, snapped a picture. Since Middlemas doesn't have a Twitter account, Gilmore volunteered to post the image himself.

"My grandpa is a 97 year-old WWII vet & Missouri farmer who wanted to join w/ those who #TakeaKnee: "those kids have every right to protest," Gilmore tweeted on Sunday.

Gilmore said he was blown away by the outpouring of support for his grandpa, who served in the U.S. Navy for 21 years.

As of Monday afternoon, the tweet was shared nearly 140,000 times. Some internet users even started referring to Middlemas as "America's grandpa."

"I thought it was pointed representation," Gilmore said. "I think a World War II veteran has the moral authority to speak more than basically anyone about what our veterans fought for. And I think it really resonated with people."

Middlemas has been an ally to the civil rights movement for many years, Gilmore said. In 2013, he participated in a "Unity March" in Springfield to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" speech.

"Dr. King has always been a hero to him," Gilmore said. "When he was younger, he talked about wanting to see him alive to be president."

The 97-year-old told the Springfield News-Leader his desire for equality is rooted in his time working alongside black service members while deployed on eight separate submarines throughout his military career.

"I'm trying to say that you have to love everybody," Middlemas said to the local newspaper. "We don't kill people. We want to make people live."

On Monday, Mr. Trump claimed "many people booed" professional football players that kneeled during the Star-Spangled Banner, and he repeated that kneeling "has nothing to do with race," even though many players kneeled during the national anthem to protest the treatment of blacks by police.

Middlemas and Gilmore don't see any conflict between patriotism and the urge to protest against injustice.

"The issue isn't about disrespecting the symbol of the flag and the anthem, but the core issues and values that those symbols represent, free speech and the effort to try to be the best country — the country my grandpa and others fought for," Gilmore argued.
He, along with many other vets, say this is why they went and fought. Hard to argue with the man.

Cheers
Old 09-25-2017, 05:28 PM

Default Wags -- the view of many others

Taken from a post

"I see you…
I see you, professional football player, as you kneel down during the playing of the National Anthem…
I see you, with your arm raised in protest…
I see you thinking you are doing something to unite people over social and racial injustice.
I see you…
But, more than that here is what I really see…
I see a man pushing the wheels of his wheelchair as he returns home from a foreign land unable to function as he once did, due to fighting to protect you as you kneel on the ground.
I see a young widow, dressed carefully in black, mourning the remains of her husband, hugging a coffin on the tarmac of an airport. I see that same woman clutching a perfectly folded flag to her bosom as taps is played at his graveside. I see her young son, tears streaming down his face knowing his father would never come home again.
I see graveyards full of tombstones, here and overseas, with names of those fallen, with dates showing a much too early death. I see so many, from so many different wars and conflicts, crosses and stones. They are too numerous to count.
I see the sacrifices made, the hearts broken, the tears shed, the shattered lives all in the name of freedom… all in the name of that red, white and blue piece of cloth that you choose to protest.
Social and racial injustice? You who make millions of American dollars for playing a game in a country where you have more opportunity to make a better life for you and your family than anywhere in the world? Really? The hypocrisy of it astounds me.
First of all, if you really want to protest, give your money and time to make changes. Give to those less fortunate than you. Help those people get an education, buy them food and shelter. Show them opportunities to make better decisions. Teach them that they have a purpose in life.
If you really want to protest injustices…
Protest the treatment of veterans, who have to wait extremely long periods of time for healthcare, who are living under interstate bridges, in boxes, who are committing suicide. Today over twenty of them will take their lives out of hopelessness and despair.
Protest the people whose goal in life is to make sure an unborn baby doesn’t see the light of day. There will be around 3,500 of them today. There is no greater injustice than that.
Protest the loss of religious rights as some atheist complained so much that public prayer by a group of young players on an athletic field is not allowed.
When I see that flag, when I hear that song, when I sing those words, I give homage to those who died for this land, who continue to protect this land, who don’t know if and when they will ever see their loved ones again. Some say that they died for your freedom so that you can take a knee. I say they died for your freedom so you can stand proudly and be thankful that God has blessed you enough that you can live in a country of so much opportunity.
Go ahead…
Go ahead and kneel…
Go ahead and be ungrateful.
I am watching…
As are millions and millions of others.
We don’t see a protest of unity… we see a protest of disgraceful ignorance."

Very divisive issue. I do find it odd that pro athletes that are making millions and with the majority they do not give back to the community choose to make this an issue.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:34 PM

The right to protest is protected by every players first amendment rights. I personally don't like the idea of protesting during the national anthem, but I support their right to protest.

I do understand that one of the countries most sacred moments is when honouring the country during a national anthem - so protesting at this moment is definitely a way of bringing the attention to their cause ...... we wouldn't be talking about this if the players took a knee during the announcements or half time show would we?

Trumps comments, once again, will serve to divide the country and escalate this issue. Trump just can't think through the consequences of his words or actions or control his urges and emotions as serves to alienate, divide or provoke divisiveness.

He is on a path to systematically divide the USA from within just like he divides the country from the international community. All because of his total lack of intelligence, tact and over abundance of narcissism.

This will, I predict, just solidify the anti-Trump movement from within the country.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:42 PM

The issue should be between players and team owners. Perhaps the eventual outcome will be that the issue will be negotiated. If being on the field during the anthem is a part of their contract so be it....if not, they are not working.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:51 PM

So easy nowadays with social media to put someone on blast for doing something that doesn't agree with their point of view.

Granted the bonehead that is supposedly leading this country is a complete moron, but I still respect my country and more so the sacrifices people made on our behalf to get to that point. Hockey game, school, or wherever I stand when it is playing and genuinely would be offended watching someone kneel during the anthem at one of these events.

Now to play devils advocate......hypothetical question----- how many people peel their carcass off the couch when watching one of these games during the anthem????
Old 09-25-2017, 05:55 PM

Default They have a right to protest.

They can protest all they like it will not change anything. These are people that as of late are being charged for assault, rape, drug offences and even murder. NFL and NBA players are kind of at the bottom of the pile when it comes to the moral compass.
These people in large majority do not give back to there communities they just live the privileged high life until the money runs out or they go to jail.
These professional athletes are not role models to the youth any longer showing what a positive outlook on life can get them.
They will ruin the sport for many people.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:01 PM
Banned

Then there are those that question the singing of anthems at sporting events:

http://nationalpost.com/sports/is-it...porting-events
Old 09-25-2017, 06:14 PM

Default It is something to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
Then there are those that question the singing of anthems at sporting events:

http://nationalpost.com/sports/is-it...porting-events
I was at the 49ers vs Rams game last week and being there for the singing of the national anthem was one of the highlights.
I looked around as I took part and every last person in the stands was standing, singing or mouthing the words.
It didn't matter if they were rich, poor, black, white, Niners fan or Rams fan there was a mutual respect for there national anthem. Then two fighter jets buzzed the stadium just as the anthem ended.
It was a powerful experience.
I did not see players from either of those teams kneeling, however it was before Trumps comments.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
They're happy to take the white man's millions of dollars. Can you say Hypocrite ?
Grizz
Am I reading your comment wrong ... sounds a bit on the racist side?
Old 09-25-2017, 06:33 PM

While it is their right to do what they are doing, there are other ways that don't disrespect the people that died fighting for their right to kneel
Old 09-25-2017, 06:33 PM
Banned

Trump spoke the words that millions of Americans and others around the world are thinking when these losers will not stand for the anthem. "Get that SOB off the field he is fired! At least he had the balz to say it.

Just because you have the ability to disrespect the flag, the country and your military does not mean you are still not the biggest POS in the country.

And then there are the Hillary supporters, losers following losers who whine and cry about Trump being a big bad bully.
Old 09-25-2017, 07:15 PM
Banned

Stupidity runs north of the border as well.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...ents-1.4305907

I totally agree with Trump's Tweets
Old 09-25-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Am I reading your comment wrong ... sounds a bit on the racist side?
pretty much anything that gets said these days gets your line thrown at it
Old 09-25-2017, 08:24 PM

The league has to step in and fine or fire these players. The league has set precedence in this regard. When the Cowboys wanted to wear a decal on their helmets to remember the 5 police officers slain at the BLM rally they were told no by the league.

When players wanted to wear 9/11 cleats on the 15th anniversary of 9/11 they were threatened with fines but some went ahead and the league capitulated.

Only reason NFL allows these protests is they do not want to get on the bad side of the BLM movement. My opinion only.

Trump is bang on. Glad he has stated what so many feel. May be why the NFL ratings and attendance is falling like a brick.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:28 PM
Banned

Freedom of speech (or actions in this case) is not only there when one supports the action/speech. It's for everyone. Trump was out of line; most of the owners support their players, and some have appeared on the field with them.

Funny how Trump has great success in dividing Americans, but no success in uniting them, isn't it? Why doesn't he use that Twitter feed of his for uniting actions?
Old 09-25-2017, 08:33 PM
Banned

There's a time and place for everything, during the anthem is neither the time or place for this imo.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Freedom of speech (or actions in this case) is not only there when one supports the action/speech. It's for everyone. Trump was out of line; most of the owners support their players, and some have appeared on the field with them.

Funny how Trump has great success in dividing Americans, but no success in uniting them, isn't it? Why doesn't he use that Twitter feed of his for uniting actions?
I disagree with the actions of the players to kneel. However Trump dumping gas on the fire is sure not helping anything. His speech to the UN was awesome and could have been a real springboard for unity and nationalism. Instead he starts a firestorm on an issue that was dwindling.
Man up and stand up for the anthem. There are a million other ways to protest. I hope This stuff doesn't start happening here. Blood was spilled on foreign shores for our freedom. Don't give me the rhetoric that his is what they died for. There are better ways..... maybe less effective ways, but better nonetheless.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:39 PM

I heard an interesting interview on the radio, didn't catch the beginning of it, but it was one athlete who was one of the guys "taking a knee" yet his brother served in Afghanistan.

His viewpoint was thought provoking.

He said that "we are not disrespecting the people who have served" he went on to say (I'm paraphrasing here) - "these soldiers serve to protect our first amendment rights, the same rights we have in protesting". He said "this is not meant to be disrespectful to these men and women who served".

Interesting thought. I'm not sure I agree with taking a knee during the national anthem, because it still does offend those who have served, but I understand his perspective.

This is a very complex issue. Spouting off without thinking of the repercussions like the president did, just made it worse. There's more players kneeling now. There's a bigger backlash to Trumps words.

The issue falls squarely back onto the people who feel the police target and victimise black Americans. Perhaps the President should have addressed, or at least acknowledged the concerns. I have lived in the US, and I can tell you this issue isn't exaggerated. It's very real. My friend and I (he's black) were in a situation that absolutely would not have occurred if Rosco Peeko Train (the Sheriff) wasn't looking for trouble.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:46 PM

Quote:

Do you get your news from the CBC or NBC?
Old 09-25-2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk396 View Post
pretty much anything that gets said these days gets your line thrown at it
He said "white mans money" and that makes the comment 100% racist. For one thing it assumes that all kneeing players are not white and it also assumes that the only money in the game is from whites people. That's pretty damn racist to me.

As for the taking a knee part. Having travelled plenty thorough the states, I feel I can have the opinion that racism is alive still. It's something people face everyday and struggle against. It's real and just because it hasn't affected a middle class, white guy from Canada doesn't make it any less a part of reality. Remember we are only 40 years away from separate water fountains. During the civil rights movement era it was common to take a knee. It was a peaceful protest, something that should always be guaranteed in our society.

And Trump as president is a part of the protesters. He represents all of America and should be willing to listen vs offending. But he did that to keep the lower middle class white vote. The same vote that got him into power.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:27 PM

Quote:

Trying to make a political statement has no place in sports, it only happens in the USA. Probably here next, I believe the Roughriders are doing it now to support the boys across the line. Because it really is a kick in the nuts for the old vets. Freedom of speech is one thing, but that's taking it too far and tying it to something way to important. Many people agree with Trump, maybe not the rants he's been up to against the players, but the sitting out of the anthem. It's pathetic that anyone would even contest that, and throw the ' it's my constitutional right' line out there. Find another avenue off the field to make your point is my view. Donald Trump is hated by many, but he also has a hell of a lot of people who agree with what he says, the 'silent majority' spoke at the last election down there. They aren't the people who have days and days to march up and down the streets belly aching about this and that,their rights, they're too busy working jobs and fighting wars so the whiners can have the freedom to walk the streets they protest on. Many silent people are fed up of having this never ending crap rammed down their throats day in and day out and they were never heard until the last election. So, fire them if they can't stand for the Anthem. After the Aaron Hernandez otopsy findings, football is going to be a thing of the past in the not too distant future, and we will see who the real bums are.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:43 PM

US flag is couple hundred years old, Trump has been in power 9 months.... Generation upon generation of patriotic Americans have respected their country & the flag it flies!!

For some spoiled brats to disrespect that heritage then blame Trump, who do they really think they're fooling?

Take the knee elsewhere & at a different time, not during the anthem. I truly hope the NFL continues to take a ratings hit, it's the only language they understand!!
Old 09-25-2017, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
He said "white mans money" and that makes the comment 100% racist. For one thing it assumes that all kneeing players are not white and it also assumes that the only money in the game is from whites people.
Aren't all the majority owners in the NFL white?
Old 09-25-2017, 09:46 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:

Because it's not his plan, or part of his agenda. Trump feeds and survives on divisiveness. That's what got him elected, and as long as it continues to fester, that's how he's going to stay in office.

But most of us have already figured that out already. Sorry for bringing up the obvious again.

P.S.
This just in - Trump's approval rating is now down to 27%