Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-08-2018, 06:07 AM

Default Good airgun for kids..or a small .22?

Anyone have recommendations on a good quality youth airgun?

I'm also considering just going to a .22 but I do like the airgun for new shooters and pellets are more affordable. Just seems the .22s have a nicer trigger and are lighter and higher quality sights...

Opinions on both.
Old 04-08-2018, 07:12 AM

Just grabbed a Mossberg Plinkster for my 8 yr old. Perfect size for her, semi too. Those co2 cartridges do add up.
Old 04-08-2018, 07:24 AM

Here is some good opinions......Good luck.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ighlight=daisy

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 04-08-2018, 08:29 AM
Banned

We went from Nerf to a Red Ryder to a Beman .177/.22 pellet to a .22lr. Since we went with the .22lr’s the pellet and BB guns haven’t moved. While they were fun, they just aren’t the real thing. Look at a bolt action with a wood stock. Buy a second stock to cut down and have it fit with savers to bring it back to normal length. I did something similar with my son and his 22 gauge when he was 10. I used slip on recoil pads until he was big enough for the original stock again. It took about 2 years as he is now 12 and needed the stock to be that 2” longer again.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:50 AM
Banned

I bypassed airguns and went right to the .22 for my boys. Savage Rascal, cheap little rifle, shoots great, ergonomically designed for kids and .22 ammo is actually really cheap.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:46 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Well I would get both. Break action pellet rifle and a single shot bolt action 22.
Sometimes you just want to go plinking and not make too much noise etc.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-08-2018, 11:28 AM

I was looking at airguns for the grandkids I never realized how far they've come in my day there was Slavia break actions, Crossman and Daisy a .22 might be easier.

How do the PCP airguns work? where does the 2000 psi come from? I see lots of them for sale but no explanation of how they get charged.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
I was looking at airguns for the grandkids I never realized how far they've come in my day there was Slavia break actions, Crossman and Daisy a .22 might be easier.

How do the PCP airguns work? where does the 2000 psi come from? I see lots of them for sale but no explanation of how they get charged.
There’s a small compressed air tank attached to the airgun that needs to be charged by either a larger tank (either filled at a diving shop or paintball store or home compressor) or by hand pump.

They’re fun as you can get a fair bit of power out of some (for an airgun) and there’s little to no recoil.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:57 PM

Airguns are fun and are cheap to shoot but depending on quality and type may not be cheap to buy and get started with.

The next question is are you looking for target only or “hunting” power? Anything over 500fps and 4.2 ft/lbs (I believe) require a pal to own and are true firearms under the law, for some that may be enough to skip over an airgun and go directly to a 22lr.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:44 AM

I think this is a great question, but I also think the answer hinges on allot of factors. The ages, maturity level, and physical abilities alone might dictate the best answer.

I taught my own kids with slingshots, air guns, and THEN 22s...but the mistake I see lots of parents (=fathers) make is the way they introduce kids to airguns. By that I mean, comments like; "we'll let you start with this and when you're good with it, THEN I'll get you a 'real' gun". If you down-play the value of airguns, kids will never see their value...and will lose interest fast. Another mistake I see is starting kids with fussy, CO2-fed..or otherwise problematic types of airguns that fail easily and/or are difficult to use. Nothing puts a kid off faster than a gun that is hard to use, that they never hit anything with, that is so fussy that YOU don't even want to take it out to help with, etc. I mean..show a kid a wall full of airguns and they'll be drawn to the ones that are black/scary/realistic, etc. They're often the poorest choice.

If you're in a Googling mood..my first airgun was a Chinese model 61 that was in a closet full of guns we found when my grandfather died. I still have it. After that, a Crosman 1377 with a Crosman 1399 shoulder stock. Still have it, and it still works. (some 33 years later) I also bought...maybe 22 years ago..a Webley Tempest air pistol. That thing was, and still is a gem. Set me back a whopping $165, which to me was allot at the time. Some others came and went, but about a month ago..I bought a Diana 24 in 22. A non-PAL-rated spring piston air rifle shooting about 430 fps. It'll be tested on barn pigeons in the coming weeks. I still have a fondness for airguns, but very few of them are well-suited to young/small-framed shooters. The only ones that are (like a Daisy "Buck" bb gun)...even an experienced adult shooter would be hard pressed to hit an empty pop-can @ 30' with the thing. Even half-decent airguns are mostly the domain of kids about 8-10 years old..or older. A great site to check out is D&L Airguns in BC. I've bought a few things from them over the years. If you want specific make/model suggestions, let me know the ages of the kids..your budget...and maybe I can offer some ideas!

All my kids are teenagers now, and all very much adult-sized. They love rimfires, specifically scoped..bolt-action 22s. I've got that covered-off for sure. Most people default to semis thinking flying brass will be a bigger thrill. That simply hasn't been the case with my kids, my nieces/nephews. They bore of semis first, and gravitate towards guns they can hit things with. If your kids are small-framed or very young, the Savage Rascal is a superb choice if you want to "go 22" first. My kids have outgrown ours, but have so much fondness for it that they won't let me sell it. There are a number of youth-sized 22s out there, but Savage really got this rifle right in my opinion. I added an EGW rail (they make one for the Rascal ) and an older, fixed-power Bushnell Scopechief. My kids used to love shooting that prone, with a bipod, picking-off small pcs. of clay pigeons. Lots of low-power, quiet ammo options if you're so inclined. (CCI "Quiet-22" for example)

Good luck with whatever you choose, and remember "eyes and ears" with young shooters, every time.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:05 PM

I bought my grand kids the CZ scout... yes they are pricey BUT they don't look like toy guns and the build quality is outstanding...and as a bonus they can pass it down to their grand kids....
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:05 PM

I would go with an air gun for a new shooter personally.
Pellets are cheap , you can set up a shooting range in your basement and it will save you a lot of time and money on driving to the shooting range.
Its very enough to be used in a single home , which is quite different from .22 noise.
I can not advise you on a model to pick up , because my "so called air gun" is a competition Feinwerkbau 601cost more then a decent hunting rifle, but I think you can not go wrong with a .177 for a youth shooter.
S12
Old 04-10-2018, 07:31 PM

Well said, Groundhogger. Good points!