Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-16-2018, 09:43 AM

Default Surprises at the gun range....

Ever have them...? Feel free to share your stories.

Took the boy out to get some target time in. Had a buddy come with.. he’s shooting a new 30-06 with a decent Weaver scope... he’s hunted with it for two years now and it shoots well.

Something at the range gave us a huge WTF moment. He couldn’t hit paper at 100..... we moved him to 50 yards..... and nothing.... whaaaa?

I look at the scope setup.. and the whole scope has shifted forward in the rings.
I couldn’t believe it! We tightened stuff back up and discovered that the whole setup was loose!

He’s shooting good at 100 yards now and planning more trips to the range.
So wow.... thanks for nothing whoever set him up at Wholesale sports. I’ve always had trusted people install my scopes.

Funny that it shot well for two years. Wonder if locktight would have prevented this.

FYI.... I’m not a super well versed on scope technology and particulars.... I use it.. I can sight in stuff...

As for me..... imma gonna get more time in just shooting. I need it.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 09-16-2018, 09:49 AM

I use loctite on the base screws, but never on the ring screws. If you torque the ring screws properly, they won't come loose.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:56 AM

Default Surprises at the gun range....

Had a similar thing happen with my Father-in-law... Whoever set up his scope didn’’t tighten it down after checking the eye relief.

He dumped many shots downrange before he noticed that his scope shifted in the rings.

He was pretty upset!
Old 09-16-2018, 10:53 AM

On my 300 wm I had put Talley rings on it with blue loctite. Prior to putting on the loctite and torquing the screws were cleaned with brake clean. Long story short, after about 50 rounds on the bench the rings had came loose. They won’t becoming loose ever again since I put JB weld on them.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
On my 300 wm I had put Talley rings on it with blue loctite. Prior to putting on the loctite and torquing the screws were cleaned with brake clean. Long story short, after about 50 rounds on the bench the rings had came loose. They won’t becoming loose ever again since I put JB weld on them.
And yet the Talley lightweights have worked excellent on my 7mmstw and 300 RUM rifles, with no loctite on the ring screws. I did however lap the rings.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:08 AM

Elk that’s the only set of Talley’s that I’ve ever had come loose. I don’t even generally lap Talley’s unless their is an issue. On my last 270wsm I bought, it was the worse shooting Tikka I have had until it was bedded and the rings lapped.
Old 09-16-2018, 02:30 PM
Banned

I use clear nail polish on my bases. Never had a problem
Old 09-16-2018, 02:44 PM
Banned

Not so much a optic problem but had the action screws loosen off on my 695 tikka. Never paid to much attention to it until I was in the middle of a bear stalk when ol trusty wanted to come apart at the seams halfway into it. Found the action screw in the bottom of my gunboot.
Old 09-16-2018, 03:46 PM

A muzzloader ram rod halfway through a 4x4 support pole for roof.
Old 09-16-2018, 03:50 PM

Was helping a friend zero his new scope he got cabelas to mount before season one time. Was a 700 30-06 with a Vortex Viper, shooting it at the farm, we bore sighted it at my cabin. So first few shots were nice and tracked good then it went bonkers! I was like wtf is going on, had it happened a couple times but not often. I told him something came lose, I pulled out my tools and started checking screws, yes a couple did. Re torqued them and then bore sighted it again in the field, zeroed perfect after that and that season he dropped a stud of a 5x5 Whitetail.

My brother had a hard time zeroing his axis when he had it, turned out the stock was all over the barrel. I told him how to free float it, and he did but then he traded it away before he could shoot it again. I’ve always been curious if it was the stock or just the typical Axis.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:08 PM

So the free scope mounting job wasnt done properly?
Old 09-16-2018, 04:41 PM

I always Loctite the bases, but IMO re-torqueing the rings during the initial sight in is a good idea. I don't know if the screws back off a little, or the parts just settle in a bit with the recoil, but often the screws will have loosened a little.

On one occasion involving a hard kicking rifle and Weaver rings that I personally installed, as I always have, I did have things back off to the point during the first range session that I suspect the POI might have gone out of whack if I hadn't caught it with the re-torque.

If the bases were loose then blame WSS, if it was the rings then I feel the problem could have been easily prevented by the owner.

Last edited by Bushleague; 09-16-2018 at 04:53 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
So the free scope mounting job wasnt done properly?
Wholesale does not do this for free, one purchases costly items and they perform this service. IMO once I've spent several thousand dollars on merchandise, being asked to pay a fee in return for an employee, who is on the clock anyways, to perform a relatively rudimentary task is BS.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:48 PM

Spend enough time at the range and you’ll see a lot of very interesting stuff.

The 10% rule needs to apply to lotsa folks.

That’s all I gotta say, otherwise the prying eyes that aren’t members will think us all a bunch of half wits.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-16-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Wholesale does not do this for free, one purchases costly items and they perform this service. IMO once I've spent several thousand dollars on merchandise, being asked to pay a fee in return for an employee, who is on the clock anyways, to perform a relatively rudimentary task is BS.
I agree that after a high price purchase that the store would be courteous yo help you with your stuff. But in the end, the counter guy doesnt care about your gun. Like you said, hes on the clock anyway. He doesnt gain anything by doing a good job. Its unfortunate but if you want to be confident in knowing something is done right, dont trust a stranger with nothing in it for them.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:14 PM

Default Good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Spend enough time at the range and you’ll see a lot of very interesting stuff.

The 10% rule needs to apply to lotsa folks.

That’s all I gotta say, otherwise the prying eyes that aren’t members will think us all a bunch of half wits.
That a good point to consider. Thanks.

I guess my motivation here was to point out that people really ought to know their equipment well.... and verify it’s functionality.

Myself, I try to learn from people I know have experience and I trust. But I think a lot of hunters just assume their rigs are ‘good to go’ right out of the box/store.

Oh... and I have a sneaking suspicion that PETA actually funds the manufacture and sale of muzzle breaks...

Either that or it’s Satan.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."

Last edited by bessiedog; 09-16-2018 at 05:29 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
I agree that after a high price purchase that the store would be courteous yo help you with your stuff. But in the end, the counter guy doesnt care about your gun. Like you said, hes on the clock anyway. He doesnt gain anything by doing a good job. Its unfortunate but if you want to be confident in knowing something is done right, dont trust a stranger with nothing in it for them.
True, but when you pay his employer an extra $50 or so, on top of what you spent on the merchandise that is getting worked on, for him to bore site your gun (he's on the clock remember, his paycheck does not change because he did a proper bore site, neither does the expense to his employer) do you really think it changes said employee's perspective?

I do my own, but IMO the fee charged by many of the "better" gun shops isn't a much better deal than the free job done by others. Its an easy job, requires absolutely no specialized tools on a bolt action rifle, IMO if one cant be bothered then they forfeit the right to complain. Much like re-checking the torque on the ring screws, during or after the initial range sessions.

Last edited by Bushleague; 09-16-2018 at 06:26 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:55 PM

I was at the range and was noticing the guys next to me (both younger guys maybe in their early 20's) were attempting to sight in what looked to be a brand new rifle. They were clearly frustrated and I had overheard them discussing scope adjustment and that the point of impact continued to move. After a while, I asked them if the mounts were tight and where the scope was installed and as I walked over and looked something did not look right to me. I didn't catch it right away until I looked down at the adjustment knobs ..... then it hit me ..... the scope was over rotated so the L/R adjustment was on top and the up/down was on the side .......
Old 09-16-2018, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I was at the range and was noticing the guys next to me (both younger guys maybe in their early 20's) were attempting to sight in what looked to be a brand new rifle. They were clearly frustrated and I had overheard them discussing scope adjustment and that the point of impact continued to move. After a while, I asked them if the mounts were tight and where the scope was installed and as I walked over and looked something did not look right to me. I didn't catch it right away until I looked down at the adjustment knobs ..... then it hit me ..... the scope was over rotated so the L/R adjustment was on top and the up/down was on the side .......

maybe it was a Sako 85..........
Old 09-17-2018, 04:43 AM

Default here's one

In the early 80's a guy walked into Grables Sorting goods in Red Deer and buys a Ruger 77R and some shells from a friend who was working there.The guy comes back in the following day looking distraught......stating I like the rifle but I can't get it to group.So my buddy says ,lets have a look at it. He pulls it out of the case and actually had installed the rings that came with the gun and failed to realize he also needed a "scope" in the 1" rings. So the clerk gently explained what he was missing ,sold him a scope and installed it for him.How do you keep a straight face?This actually happened.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:58 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Seen a fella with his scope mounted so it made an X when viewed....asked why....he said X marks the spot

Carry on and enjoy your day.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-17-2018, 06:25 AM

I shared this on another thread awhile back

The Shooter and fellow beside him are lucky that things could of gone south fast.

We were at a shooting even with with a bunch of folks down south, normally there is 1 over see'er when the folks are at the line shooting,,, just happened to be that 2 of us we're on watch that day.

The shoot was underway as most of the folks were about halfway in the set when the range master from his end called a Cease-fire. 3 fellows stepped back from the line-up fast,,, looked like a blow-out happened.

Sure enough, one of the shooters had the action bolt blow out of his rifle, I'm still to this day suprize how that bolt cleared his face with out getting hit, it was his lucky day since he was wearing shooting glasses.

We found the bolt 20 to 25 feet behind the rifle, someone mentioned later that the bolt was fully intact along with the rifle action,,, the locking lugs looked ok from a visual inspection along with the action it self.

I wasn't doing the rifle thing since I was with another group of folks dealing with the 2 fellows closet to the blast, the fellow to the election port side on his right got sprayed by the tiny particles of shrapnel.

He was lucky even though he hand the smallest of skin abrasions on his hand and face,,, little blood spots from powder, brass, and steel slivers from the bolt action. He was about 4' from the chamber port when things went South.

I've been around alot of shooting ranges over the years, this was the first time I'd seen a bolt come out of a rifle. I started wearing shooting glasses and thick woven shooting shirt or jacket after that in shooting competions.

Both fellows were pretty lucky that day, the only information we heard a week after that was that it is very vary rare that this happens,

The range master that has worked with alot of firearm mentioned that the bolt face and lugs looked good, most likely it was not a full blow-out since the chamber iron would be cracked, lug/ (s) ripped off, and bolt face mushroomed from a over charge,,, the parts did not show signs of this,,, the only thing he """thought""" that could of happened was the old worn out lugs on the bolt allowed it to kick open on the shot.

Most of us will never really know since the shooter delt with the issue later on.

Deffinatly an eye opener.

I know one thing, I always do the double check just to make sure that to bolt handle is all the way down in the closed position.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post

The Shooter and fellow beside him are lucky that things could of gone south fast.

We were at a shooting even with with a bunch of folks down south, normally there is 1 over see'er when the folks are at the line shooting,,, just happened to be that 2 of us we're on watch that day.

The shoot was underway as most of the folks were about halfway in the set when the range master from his end called a Cease-fire. 3 fellows stepped back from the line-up fast,,, looked like a blow-out happened.

Sure enough, one of the shooters had the action bolt blow out of his rifle, I'm still to this day suprize how that bolt cleared his face with out getting hit, it was his lucky day since he was wearing shooting glasses.

We found the bolt 20 to 25 feet behind the rifle, someone mentioned later that the bolt was fully intact along with the rifle action,,, the locking lugs looked ok from a visual inspection along with the action it self.

I wasn't doing the rifle thing since I was with another group of folks dealing with the 2 fellows closet to the blast, the fellow to the election port side on his right got sprayed by the tiny particles of shrapnel.

He was lucky even though he hand the smallest of skin abrasions on his hand and face,,, little blood spots from powder, brass, and steel slivers from the bolt action. He was about 4' from the chamber port when things went South.

I've been around alot of shooting ranges over the years, this was the first time I'd seen a bolt come out of a rifle. I started wearing shooting glasses and thick woven shooting shirt or jacket after that in shooting competions.

Both fellows were pretty lucky that day, the only information we heard a week after that was that it is very vary rare that this happens,

The range master that has worked with alot of firearm mentioned that the bolt face and lugs looked good, most likely it was not a full blow-out since the chamber iron would be cracked, lug/ (s) ripped off, and bolt face mushroomed from a over charge,,, the parts did not show signs of this,,, the only thing he """thought""" that could of happened was the old worn out lugs on the bolt allowed it to kick open on the shot.

Most of us will never really know since the shooter delt with the issue later on.

I know one thing, I always do the double check just to make sure that to bolt handle is all the way down in the closed position.
That's crazy ..... I wonder, since there was no damage to the chamber, barrel or bolt itself it could have been a "hang fire" - probably didn't keep the bolt down (or lifted the bolt too early) and she went off after the bolt was up - damn lucky ......
Old 09-18-2018, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post

Maybe it's just the way it's articulated, but that all smells of urban legend to me.
I guess it would be helpful to know what action the story is about. But a little hard to swallow that a bolt came out of battery while being fired and shows no damage. The bolt-stop obviously failed, but showed no damage...and it all miraculously cleared his face....perhaps some actual facts would make a real story out of it....
Old 09-18-2018, 07:57 AM

I had one happen with my rem 597. Was sighting in to a small target. Wasn't on paper couldn't see the impacts. Put one in the pipe, fired (seemingly normal) no hole in target... darn i thought. Raised the poa to see where I may be off fired another BANG. Face covered in powder, magazine in pieces, action smoking.... WTH!!!.

Turns out the first bullet only pushed into the rifling and did not exit the barrell allowing the second to chamber. Bloody hell that'll teach me to know where all shots go. Big mistake on my part but could have been much worse. I guess i was fortunate it was a .22

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Old 09-21-2018, 07:37 AM

I was checking rifles on the range one day before putting the range to safe. Someone had put a 10/22 in the rack and the slide was closed. He was in the club house signing in.

I popped open the slide a an unfired shell pops out.

I picked it up and found the owner. Apparently it was in there since last range session.

I gave him hell and he promised to be more careful. Could have been a bad day.
Old 09-21-2018, 09:57 AM

I have seen two “bad bangs”. One separated the barrel from the action, bent the scope, and injured the shooters hand through the magazine...caused by firing a 308 cartridge in a 270. Second was a tube fed .22 repeater which separated the barreled action from the stock...caused when the rim of the cartridge in battery blew out on the bottom and set off the cartridge from the feed tube ... caused by someone filing a “ramp” into the back end of the chamber to improve feeding. No injury. Both were “human” error ... not the fault of the firearm.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:53 AM

This was years ago but still makes the hair stand up...met an acquaintance at the pistol range, we’re both doing the old “two in the chest, one in the head” thing. Around 50 rounds in he invites me to try his new HK 45...bangbang, bang..(second string)bangpop...don’t know how I backed off the third shot, muscle memory had pressure on the trigger but fortunately the pop was different enough it stopped me. Sure enough, bullet was partway down the barrel with a fresh cartridge in the chamber. Handed it back to him and have never fired anyone’s handloads since. Lesson learned.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:21 PM

Yes, lucky shooter that day, deffinatly an eye opener at the shooting match.
A bolt stop made of tin will most likely not stop a bolt from a blow-out since the pressure is to much.

Remington model 700 was the rifle. Yes, purhaps the shooter had a hang-fire,,, then was unloading when it went off.

The range master and the rest of the group did not find the fired case, the bolt looked just like new,,, lugs and bolt handle all in tact.

Pretty scary situation none the less, the only person that really knows what happend was the shooter him self, I'm still trying to imagine how the bolt cleared his face without taking a hit.

Good call on the hang-fire as this makes sense. He might of had the click, lifted his head to open the bolt as the charge finally ignited.

Had he been in the cheek -weld position, he would of most likely took the hit.

Its making sence now looking at it from that angle.
Old 09-22-2018, 01:07 AM

I just had a 22semi eject a spent one on to my eyelid. Hot on tender skin. Why the brass went that way I don’t know.