Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-12-2023, 07:26 PM

Default O/U trouble firing from second barrel

Hoping someone can help me or at least point me in the right direction. I have a Browning Citori Over/Under 12 gauge that I purchased in November 2021 that I have been using for pheasant hunting.

I have noticed this fall on several occasions that if I miss on the first shot and go to pull the trigger for a second shot the second barrel will not fire until I press the trigger again (or even sometimes takes a couple trigger pulls before the second round will fire). I was using the under barrel first, so decided to try shooting the over first but noticed that the same thing happened in that it took a couple trigger pulls for the second barrel to fire. This does not "misfire" every time I go to use the second shot but seems to be happening more often than not. I have given it a good cleaning (took apart the barrel form the receiver and cleaned it) and the problem seems to be persisting.

Any ideas on the issue and whether or not this is an easy fix for me or whether it needs to go to a gunsmith this winter?

DR
Old 11-12-2023, 08:16 PM

Could be some junk in the mechanism. Take the butt stock off and take a look to see if there is s build up of grease anywhere.
Cat
Old 11-12-2023, 10:25 PM

Remove buttstock flush mechanism with lighter fluid.
Old 11-13-2023, 06:31 AM

Misfires on O/U are usually caused by :
Broken firing pin , deformed firing pin , bound up firing pin return spring

Ammo , not enough recoil to set inertia block to set second trigger

Safety / barrel select not 100% in correct position

Part broken / out of place
By design the internals of O/U stay pretty clean . Check for debris in intervals , don’t use WD 40
Old 11-13-2023, 06:32 AM

It needs a good cleaning, probably not done from new and has packing grease in the trigger mechanism which has gathered dust and crud, strip and clean then lightly lubricate

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-13-2023, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
It needs a good cleaning, probably not done from new and has packing grease in the trigger mechanism which has gathered dust and crud, strip and clean then lightly lubricate
My Citori XS Skeet started malfunctioning after only a few thousand rounds, when I removed the stock, it had a big gob of grease in the mechanism. A good flush with lighter fluid and no more issues.
Old 11-13-2023, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps plus View Post
Misfires on O/U are usually caused by :
Broken firing pin , deformed firing pin , bound up firing pin return spring

Ammo , not enough recoil to set inertia block to set second trigger

Safety / barrel select not 100% in correct position

Part broken / out of place
By design the internals of O/U stay pretty clean . Check for debris in intervals , don’t use WD 40
Interesting you said about not enough recoil . Should a guy stay away from target loads on an Over and under
Old 11-13-2023, 07:30 AM

Default browning trigger problems

I have found on my browning that you have to let the trigger reset before it will fire the other barrel
Old 11-13-2023, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Interesting you said about not enough recoil . Should a guy stay away from target loads on an Over and under
Target loads have plenty of recoil to set the trigger, I have shot thousands of 7/8 oz and 1 oz target loads through my o/u and never had a problem with them setting the trigger, even shot AA reduced recoil training loads 7/8 oz @ 980 FPS never a glitch

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-13-2023, 08:22 AM

Quote:
My O/U guns are used almost exclusively with target loads, most are 1 ounce loads.The only issues that I have seen, occur when people put 410 tubes in an O/U, the 410 loads often don't have enough recoil to set the inertia trigger. Even 28 gauge target loads usually aren't an issue.

Quote:
I have found on my browning that you have to let the trigger reset before it will fire the other barrel.
Some people do have issues not fully releasing the trigger, but they usually figure that out before assuming that there is an issue with the shotgun.
Old 11-13-2023, 09:06 AM

Inherited a 1979, 20ga Citori that had the same issue, proved to be a broken firing pin. Would fire sometimes if the parts slammed together just the right way I guess.

Ordered a replacement and when it looked totally different upon arrival, I reached out to the place I got it and they replied "may need some fitting"

I would say "some" would be an understatement. Had to turn my electric drill into a makeshift lathe, using files and emery cloth...making tiny changes, reinstall, check, repeat.
Old 11-13-2023, 10:13 AM

Gents, appreciate all the suggestions.. having never removed the buttstock I am guessing this could be the issue. I am not a huge gun nut, so is this reasonably easy to do for someone with limited knowledge or should I consider sending to a gun smith? From some reading on the internet I am a little concerned about wrecking something.

DR
Old 11-13-2023, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRhunter View Post
Gents, appreciate all the suggestions.. having never removed the buttstock I am guessing this could be the issue. I am not a huge gun nut, so is this reasonably easy to do for someone with limited knowledge or should I consider sending to a gun smith? From some reading on the internet I am a little concerned about wrecking something.

DR
Remove recoil paid, using philips screwdriver through holes/slots in pad, then there is a bolt with a flat blade or allen head, holding the stock onto the receiver.
Old 11-15-2023, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRhunter View Post

DR
Well in my case, I'm pretty comfortable attempting to take things apart and trying to diagnose an issue...but actually wasn't with my shotgun. Sentimental value couldn't be greater in my case, so it was concern about messing something up. Mine needed it's barrel re-blued (rust blued) as there was a significant blemish in the finish on one side. Committed to that work once I got the gun working right and to do that, I watched about a 1/2 dozen YouTube videos to build-up my confidence. In all honesty, it wasn't too difficult but I will say...had I just jumped in without that bit of research, it might not have gone as well. Good news is, there really aren't allot of parts involved, and the design itself is very interesting. Since I was working so gradually (painfully so) I had mine together/apart testing with snap caps so many times that it became a very simple process.
Old 11-15-2023, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Interesting question
I shoot a new model Win 101/Select Energy
I have found the following
1. Don't shoot Federal ammunition, Federal 209A primers are domed and quite hard - lots of FtFs
2. Depending on load my shotgun will not reset to the second barrel.
3/4 oz over 700X - no issues
7/8oz over promo - nope
something about the amount of recoil.

No issues with either Challenger or Score ammo 1oz or even shooting 24 gram.

Sometimes if out on the course, I have found that it works if you use the select and shoot O/U as opposed to the typical U/O
Old 11-15-2023, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundog57 View Post
Interesting question
I shoot a new model Win 101/Select Energy
I have found the following
1. Don't shoot Federal ammunition, Federal 209A primers are domed and quite hard - lots of FtFs
2. Depending on load my shotgun will not reset to the second barrel.
3/4 oz over 700X - no issues
7/8oz over promo - nope
something about the amount of recoil.

No issues with either Challenger or Score ammo 1oz or even shooting 24 gram.

Sometimes if out on the course, I have found that it works if you use the select and shoot O/U as opposed to the typical U/O
I use Federal 209A primers, and zero issues in over 50k . Federal primers actually tend to be among the softest. Fiocchi primers, on the other hand are much harder. What I have seen with Federal Top Gun loads, is primers seated deeper, resulting in shallower indents, and FTF in some shotguns.
Old 11-15-2023, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I use Federal 209A primers, and zero issues in over 50k . Federal primers actually tend to be among the softest. Fiocchi primers, on the other hand are much harder. What I have seen with Federal Top Gun loads, is primers seated deeper, resulting in shallower indents, and FTF in some shotguns.
Interesting - thanks for the info
I assumed that it was because of the dome/hardness
In either event, I don't shot Federal or use 209As