Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-17-2020, 02:21 PM

Default Can Draw tag be used during General Season

Good day all,

I know I have likely missed it in the reg's but can't seem to find if a Draw tag (Nov 1-30) can be used / filled in the early general season (archery Sept 1 - Oct 30th)?
Not looking to fill a second tag, just wondering if the opportunity presented itself and I could possibly shot the target animal (Mule deer - Antlerless) with a bow during early season, could I use my draw tag?

Thanks for leading a guy in the right direction.
Old 09-17-2020, 02:25 PM

Yes you can, on the authority of the special license if there is an open general archery season. It’s hidden in the regs somewhere, just don’t have em handy right now. Good luck
Old 09-17-2020, 02:50 PM

Page 42 under Bowhunting.

https://albertaregulations.ca/huntingregs/gameregs.html

Bowhunting

Note: The following applies to bowhunting other than with a cross-bow. Scroll down for information about hunting with cross-bows.

Except for the hunting of black bear, coyote, cougar or wolf under the circumstances as outlined under Access for Control of Livestock Predation, a Bowhunting Permit is required by anyone who hunts big game, game bird, wolf or coyote with a bow and arrow. Bowhunters with appropriate general or special licences may hunt during the general seasons, archery-only seasons and primitive weapon seasons. A Bowhunting Permit is required in combination with a big game licence. In some areas of the province, hunters require special licences to hunt certain species of big game – see season tables. A bowhunter who obtains an Antlered Moose Special Licence, Antlerless Moose Special Licence, Calf Moose Special Licence, Antlered Mule Deer Special Licence, Antlerless Mule Deer Special Licence, Antlered White-tailed Deer Special Licence, Antlerless White-tailed Deer Special Licence, Antlered Elk Special Licence, Antlerless Elk Special Licence or Landowner Special Licence may, if an early archery season is offered, hunt under the authority of that licence during the archery season but only in the WMU specified on the licence and only for the type and species of animal for which the licence was issued. Holders of a Landowner Special Licence are subject to the terms/conditions of their licence. Bowhunters are reminded that, in some situations, archery-only seasons for some species may be in progress at the same time as primitive weapon and rifle seasons for other species in the same WMU.

Persons hunting big game must use an authorized bow and an authorized arrow. An authorized bow is one that is held, drawn and released by muscular power and has a draw weight of not less than 18 kg (40 lb.). This is the number of kilograms (pounds) required to draw an arrow of 71 cm (28 in.) to its head. An authorized arrow is one that is not less than 61 cm (24 in.) in length that has a tip that bears a head that is not intentionally designed to resist being withdrawn after it has penetrated an object. Furthermore, it must either have a solid, sharp cutting head of at least 7/8 inch in width, or a head that, when the arrow impacts, opens to present sharp cutting edges at least 7/8 inch in width.

Hunters are asked to remove their tree stands at the end of the hunting seasons unless permission has been granted by the landholder to do otherwise.
Old 09-17-2020, 03:15 PM

I did not know that!

I learned something new today. Cool!
Old 09-17-2020, 03:26 PM

Be aware the draw tag is only valid in the wmu that it was drawn for.
Old 09-17-2020, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
I did not know that!

Funny enough this same question came up about a month ago and I remembered looking it up then so was easy to find for this one.

Elk you are spot on about WMU specific.
Old 09-17-2020, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Funny enough this same question came up about a month ago and I remembered looking it up then so was easy to find for this one.
That was me asking the question Mr. Dean. I went on to use my late season draw tag for antlered moose in the archery season. I didn’t get one, but I had a great 4 day hunt...
Old 09-17-2020, 04:47 PM

Funny thing is the same question was brought forward by F&W on the AHA FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/AlbertaFish...feEnforcement/

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 09-17-2020 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-18-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Page 42 under Bowhunting.

https://albertaregulations.ca/huntingregs/gameregs.html

Bowhunting

Note: The following applies to bowhunting other than with a cross-bow. Scroll down for information about hunting with cross-bows.

Except for the hunting of black bear, coyote, cougar or wolf under the circumstances as outlined under Access for Control of Livestock Predation, a Bowhunting Permit is required by anyone who hunts big game, game bird, wolf or coyote with a bow and arrow. Bowhunters with appropriate general or special licences may hunt during the general seasons, archery-only seasons and primitive weapon seasons. A Bowhunting Permit is required in combination with a big game licence. In some areas of the province, hunters require special licences to hunt certain species of big game – see season tables. A bowhunter who obtains an Antlered Moose Special Licence, Antlerless Moose Special Licence, Calf Moose Special Licence, Antlered Mule Deer Special Licence, Antlerless Mule Deer Special Licence, Antlered White-tailed Deer Special Licence, Antlerless White-tailed Deer Special Licence, Antlered Elk Special Licence, Antlerless Elk Special Licence or Landowner Special Licence may, if an early archery season is offered, hunt under the authority of that licence during the archery season but only in the WMU specified on the licence and only for the type and species of animal for which the licence was issued. Holders of a Landowner Special Licence are subject to the terms/conditions of their licence. Bowhunters are reminded that, in some situations, archery-only seasons for some species may be in progress at the same time as primitive weapon and rifle seasons for other species in the same WMU.

Persons hunting big game must use an authorized bow and an authorized arrow. An authorized bow is one that is held, drawn and released by muscular power and has a draw weight of not less than 18 kg (40 lb.). This is the number of kilograms (pounds) required to draw an arrow of 71 cm (28 in.) to its head. An authorized arrow is one that is not less than 61 cm (24 in.) in length that has a tip that bears a head that is not intentionally designed to resist being withdrawn after it has penetrated an object. Furthermore, it must either have a solid, sharp cutting head of at least 7/8 inch in width, or a head that, when the arrow impacts, opens to present sharp cutting edges at least 7/8 inch in width.

Hunters are asked to remove their tree stands at the end of the hunting seasons unless permission has been granted by the landholder to do otherwise.
Thanks Dean2! Happy hunting!
Old 09-18-2020, 09:17 AM

Not to highjack the post, but a similar question here.

In many zones you can archery hunt for a species that is a draw for the general season. Let's use WMU 408 for example, you can hunt WT from Sept 9-23 with a bow, then starting Sept 24 - Nov 30 you can continue to hunt WT by draw for either antlered or antlerless depending on your draw.

My question is, can you continue to hunt WT with your bow after September 23 without a draw?
Old 09-18-2020, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
I did not know that!

Ya me too. Never crossed my mind!
Old 09-18-2020, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiekid View Post

In many zones you can archery hunt for a species that is a draw for the general season. Let's use WMU 408 for example, you can hunt WT from Sept 9-23 with a bow, then starting Sept 24 - Nov 30 you can continue to hunt WT by draw for either antlered or antlerless depending on your draw.

My question is, can you continue to hunt WT with your bow after September 23 without a draw?

No

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-24-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFTrapper View Post
Good day all,

I know I have likely missed it in the reg's but can't seem to find if a Draw tag (Nov 1-30) can be used / filled in the early general season (archery Sept 1 - Oct 30th)?
Not looking to fill a second tag, just wondering if the opportunity presented itself and I could possibly shot the target animal (Mule deer - Antlerless) with a bow during early season, could I use my draw tag?

Thanks for leading a guy in the right direction.
I might be confused or not hunting in an area that has an extended archery season. Our archery season is from AUG 25-SEPT 16(moose is different) in the peace country. But once SEPT 17 rolls around you cant hunt your special license until the valid period. So no you cant use your bow during the rifle season and use your special license
Old 09-24-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
I might be confused or not hunting in an area that has an extended archery season. Our archery season is from AUG 25-SEPT 16(moose is different) in the peace country. But once SEPT 17 rolls around you cant hunt your special license until the valid period. So no you cant use your bow during the rifle season and use your special license
^^Exactly, it depends how the WMU has been split up into draw dates and what span of dates you have been drawn for.
It is printed right on the special licence what valid dates it can used for archery/rifle.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck_Wagon View Post
^^Exactly, it depends how the WMU has been split up into draw dates and what span of dates you have been drawn for.
It is printed right on the special licence what valid dates it can used for archery/rifle.
You are correct that the special licence does state what dates your draw tag is good for but what it doesn’t state is that if there is an over the counter season in the same WMU as your special licence like OTC archery antlered Mule deer for example, you can also use that special licence tag during that OTC season, even though it falls outside the dates on your actual special licence. The only difference is during your special licence season you could use a rifle (if it is a rifle season) but if you use the special licence tag during the OTC archery season you need to use archery gear.

It’s all above board and stated clearly in the regs.
Old 09-08-2022, 08:08 PM

Default Reviving an old thread-

I had to revive this old thread, I am looking for some feedback.

I got a draw for buck mule deer on wmu 131, am I able to hunt mule deer in a different WMU under bowhunting general season? Or am I stuck in 131?

I appreciate your help!
Old 09-08-2022, 08:09 PM

Stuck in 131.
Old 09-08-2022, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiekid View Post

NO

once general season starts you must follow those rules, so you would need the draw.

LC
Old 09-08-2022, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kako View Post
I had to revive this old thread, I am looking for some feedback.

I got a draw for buck mule deer on wmu 131, am I able to hunt mule deer in a different WMU under bowhunting general season? Or am I stuck in 131?

I appreciate your help!
If you draw a certain species/class… you can ONLY hunt the WMU you are drawn in period.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 09-08-2022 at 08:57 PM.
Old 09-08-2022, 09:18 PM

You don't even have to look it up in the regulations. It is printed on your license.