Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-08-2013, 06:03 AM

Default Why be a Road Hunter??

To the "hunter" in 110 yesterday in a white truck that stopped on the side of the road, jumped out and dashed through the ditch to the fence and proceed to shoot 9 times at (my best guess) a group of mule deer about 500+ yards from your spot....
- Maybe hit the gun range so that you don't need 9 shots to hit your target... I'm guessing since you drove off and by the way the deer were acting, you missed...
- Maybe ask for permission and you could have gotten alot closer to them.. I know we did and were about 110 yards from the does and spiker buck that you puched to us...
- Maybe try walking AFTER you have permission.. You'll be amazed at the game you see..
- Maybe give up hunting, if you think that what you are doing is totally right and giving all hunters a good name...

On the plus side.. Thank you for your actions... It gave me a great opportunity to explain to my son how wrong it was and to show him how animals react when retards take foolish shots..

We walked about 6-7 km and probably saw about 30 does, a few spikers and a couple of good sized bucks.. We managed to get a decent 3x3 buck at 365 yards about a half hour before sunset, that a yote was nice enough to push out... It was about a 3 km walk back to get the quad..
Old 11-08-2013, 06:20 AM

The best way I've have had it explained to me is; 'They are out there, they look like us, they talk like us, but they ain't us'

Unfortunately that is all too common these days, are too many morons running around playing 'Hunter' and making the rest of us look bad

Glad it worked out for you and no one in your party was hurt

Last edited by Alberta Bigbore; 11-08-2013 at 08:20 AM.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:23 AM

Default Because people are lazy

People that strictly road hunt are not hunters, they are numb nut killers. No skills, no knowledge of the game they are after, no patience, no desire to walk or get cold. That's the reason I head as far into the woods as I can...to avoid these "hunters". Of course there are exceptions such as disabilities etc. But for the most part they are all idiots IMO.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:46 AM

Default The great white hunters

Gotta love the guys geared up from head to toe in complete camo outfits, Pack in a truck until its full and then drive around for days on end and whine because the deer are really spooky when they see their 4wheeled blind in motion.. Opening morning I got geared up and started to make a walk to a outskirts of a bushy area to sit and wait. As im walking in I hear a vehicle lock its breaks up and come to stop.. I turn around to look and heres a truck with 4 guys in it.. windows rolled down.. and the guy in the back seat grabs his rifle and as far as i could tell, put the scope right on me to see if i was an animal. Immedaitely i turned for a patch of trees got behind them and layed down hoping they'd drive off.. which they did. Got set up and not even an hour later i see another truck coming flying down the road. hits the brakes hard and they jump out their truck and starting firing like madmen. I can hear the shots flying into the bush where i am soo again i laid down and waited for the idiots to clear. i was to far away to get license plates unfortunately.. Basically on a daily basis i sit in my hunting spots and watch the "great white hunters" crankin on the brakes.. jumping out doing a Chinese firedrill and get locked and loaded like the A - team just to figure out their looking at a bale in a field. or because a monster buck (2pt) jumped out and that was the only chance they would have at such a smart animal... Or my favourite the guys is the trucks that slowly drive into field with patchs of bush to push on them.. Then get up to the bush and put their foot into the gas and rip around the bush like its the indy 500.. only to watch them leave and 10mins later deer get up and leave the exact bush.. The first thing i look for in my hunting spots now is "can the great white hunters" see me or get close to a spot with their truck.. sorry rant ended
Old 11-08-2013, 07:15 AM

Smile Many years ago...

Friends and I were goose hunting north of Ottawa near the Quebec border. We had pits and decoys. A taxi stops on the road about 200M away and out from the back seat jumps a Priest and with a 30-30 starts shooting at our decoys.

Wow you don't see that every day, we stood up, the man of God jumped back in the taxi and took off at a good clip.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:36 AM

I was wandering how long it would take before a thread like this would pop up .
Old 11-08-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by last minute View Post
I was wandering how long it would take before a thread like this would pop up .
Well you didn't have to wait till the last minute

LC
Old 11-08-2013, 08:31 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKSniper View Post
People that strictly road hunt are not hunters, they are numb nut killers. No skills, no knowledge of the game they are after, no patience, no desire to walk or get cold. That's the reason I head as far into the woods as I can...to avoid these "hunters". Of course there are exceptions such as disabilities etc. But for the most part they are all idiots IMO.
Thats a heavy opinion with a wide brush. It must chap your behind when native subsistence hunters road hunt as well eh?

I think anyone saying a road hunter is not a hunter should really just go sign up to a forum where there is just the "Elite Hunter" group that walk around with a Holy Grail that only the best of the best can drink from.

I do both.. ive biked 5 kms to hike another km in 936... just to cart out meat . Ive sat in a cutline, a field, a blind, driven roads finding new areas to check out whether walk or drive around and do a combat roll out the door to take a doe for sausage. Doesnt mean im any less of a person or a hunter.

What i dont like... is the road/truck hunters driving around with loaded guns..barrels out windows...shooting off truck mirrors. Checking field with thier scope instead of binos.

In the end its all legal to road hunt or walk a cutline. Hunters attacking hunters because of thier method of choice is just more fuel for the antis. If it bothers you that much...go buy some private land.

Ah well, three days of solid hunting coming up...wooohooo. two days in my blind........ and one day...driving around ... in a totally new to me area exploring...oh no.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:44 AM

not going to lie, use to roadhunt a lot. always gun unloaded and getting out to shoot, but all it does is spook deer and you usually dont see much. If you do its a scramble to get ready in time. Now since I bought a blind, have some tree stands setup, have permission on private land I see tons more game then I ever did by leaving the truck at the gate and getting out and walking. There is the odd time on the way to the stand you see something and perhaps take a shot if its safe, but thats as far as my roadhunting goes nowadays. People just really need to get out of the heated cab and get some fresh air.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:46 AM

I road hunt certain areas with high volumes of hunters. Its fine walking in before first light but when you walk out it freaks me out when people roll up or slam on the brakes and look at me. I am usually too far to tell what they are glassing me with and its just an overall experience I like to avoid especially now that my wife comes with me.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:49 AM

Well put, Bigbore.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
People just really need to get out of the heated cab and get some fresh air.
Only in a perfect world

x2 well said Alberta Bigbore

Last edited by last minute; 11-08-2013 at 09:11 AM.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:42 AM

Default Truck hunters

Nice times when I drive out the drive way. I can sit and watch the road warriors all day, I take pictures in case they decide to off load while sitting the their trucks. And in the evening have a headlight show till way past hunt time. Heck I found half of them were the neighbors and relatives of same, driving by.
Good thing they are upstanding local F and W members too!!!
Ok being sarcastic, but when a guy shoots a doe off the road into the posted land across from my Driveway, and cuts the wire to drag it out to the tailgate, Oh yea in the dark, an hour after sunset, the Fish cop gets a call and a video too.
Now it was the full moon guys so maybe he got away with being looney tunes. He was after all a hundred yds, from the front door, and my house lights were off. Maybe I should have put the spot light on him, but I would have to been in my truck to do that.
Ya threads like this can go anywhere, Cheers
Old 11-08-2013, 11:12 AM

Some of my best hunts were scouting trips south of Edson, North of Edson or the Whitecourt area. All road hunting so to speak. Shot grouse, deer and moose on those trips. Cant find new areas if you don't go looking. That was 20 plus years ago and we hit all the old trails in our hunting jeep. Winch through a couple bad holes and most times you would have miles and miles of country all to yourself. In the days before atv's were in every truck box. I used to hunt with guys who farmland road hunted. Drive for miles by fields with no permission just to drive by the two quarters you had permission on. That only lasted a couple trips and I didn't hunt with them anymore. Nothing wrong with driving/hunting the roads in crown land imo.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
Thats a heavy opinion with a wide brush. It must chap your behind when native subsistence hunters road hunt as well eh?

I think anyone saying a road hunter is not a hunter should really just go sign up to a forum where there is just the "Elite Hunter" group that walk around with a Holy Grail that only the best of the best can drink from.

I do both.. ive biked 5 kms to hike another km in 936... just to cart out meat . Ive sat in a cutline, a field, a blind, driven roads finding new areas to check out whether walk or drive around and do a combat roll out the door to take a doe for sausage. Doesnt mean im any less of a person or a hunter.

What i dont like... is the road/truck hunters driving around with loaded guns..barrels out windows...shooting off truck mirrors. Checking field with thier scope instead of binos.

In the end its all legal to road hunt or walk a cutline. Hunters attacking hunters because of thier method of choice is just more fuel for the antis. If it bothers you that much...go buy some private land.

Ah well, three days of solid hunting coming up...wooohooo. two days in my blind........ and one day...driving around ... in a totally new to me area exploring...oh no.
well said
Old 11-08-2013, 11:33 AM

back in the day when hunters got along and never criticized others way of hunting. everyone that lived out in the farmlands either road hunted or drove threw each others fields. we all knew our neibours for miles around. sometimes getting together for some bush pushing. in todays standards is not hunting either. as time goes on, population increases, acrage development takes up more land and the old ways die. old habits can be hard to break and a lot from around home still road hunt.i wont criticize them for it. I road hunt moose, when I see them I know there not going anywhere. I have ample time to get a hold of land owner and get permission.
I guess what im saying is we all enjoy the same sport. if someone doesn't do it to your standard, lay off. use other peoples stratagies to increase your own success.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:34 AM

x3 ABB

I have no problem with road hunters, as long as they are doing it safe and legal. I've taken my Mom road hunting and it was one of the best hunts of my life. She loves hunting but there is no way she can walk in to some of the places that I hunt. We still see lots of game & we get a chance to hang out and maybe even shoot something.

The same as ABB, I hunt in a variety of ways from back country hiking to using blinds, stands and yes even trucks. There are things that I enjoy about each method but the best part is that I'm hunting. No two people on here are going to hunt the exact same way. We all vary as to the equipment and methods we use to pursue our game & the game itself. Whose to say that a bow hunter is more of a true hunter than a rifle hunter, or sheep hunters are true hunters and duck hunters aren't etc? Let's all go out and have a safe, legal and fun time. Please lets 'eave the slamming of hunters to the anti's.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 11-08-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:

I think there is a problem with semantics here - do you consider a road hunter A.) someone who shoots from his truck or B.) someone who drives, gets out and blasts away? Because one is illegal and one is opportunistic. (Hint: Shooting from your vehicle = Illegal.)

I too have been scoped by a truck that rolled up to a cutline I was sitting in. They didn't even get out of the truck. I tell you, with the accidental shootings out of Ontario, it scares the $h!+ out of me.

I think the main issues people have with "road hunters" should really be called issues with "bad hunters". A road hunter is not necessarily a bad hunter, and vice versa.

So instead of painting road hunters with a wide brush, I prefer to berate and call out hunters who:

1. Recklessly scope other hunters with their rifles, whether from a truck or their own feet.

2. Willfully shoot on or into land they do not have permission for, whether on foot or in a vehicle.

3. Keep a loaded firearm in their vehicle while driving, or shoot from their vehicle.

4... I am sure there are many more...

So let's stop hating on people who can't drag their game a mile over coulees and prefer to have a truck nearby, and start hating on people who are JUST PLAIN UNSAFE.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:08 PM
Banned

I'm about as hardcore whitetail hunter as there is. But some days it's sooooo nice to sit in a heated truck and drink coffee while covering a ton of ground and seeing lots of wildlife... I've only seen a few moose and the odd deer and elk shot while road hunting, never shot anything myself.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:

I agree with most of that but alot of areas that I used to hunt are farmland areas with realitivly small pieces of bush. I tried to get into those small pieces but twice got shot at or near from guys in trucks who dont think or dont care what there back drop might be. I now hunt way more up north in the bush away from roads. Way more peacefull and for me enjoyable
Old 11-08-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergman View Post
So instead of painting road hunters with a wide brush, I prefer to berate and call out hunters who:

1. Recklessly scope other hunters with their rifles, whether from a truck or their own feet.

2. Willfully shoot on or into land they do not have permission for, whether on foot or in a vehicle.

3. Keep a loaded firearm in their vehicle while driving, or shoot from their vehicle.

So let's stop hating on people who can't drag their game a mile over coulees and prefer to have a truck nearby, and start hating on people who are JUST PLAIN UNSAFE.
Well said. If a hunter act within the law, is respectful of the land owner(s) and hunts in a safe manner that doesn't endanger other people... Who am I to judge?
Old 11-08-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergman View Post
I think there is a problem with semantics here - do you consider a road hunter A.) someone who shoots from his truck or B.) someone who drives, gets out and blasts away? Because one is illegal and one is opportunistic. (Hint: Shooting from your vehicle = Illegal.)

I too have been scoped by a truck that rolled up to a cutline I was sitting in. They didn't even get out of the truck. I tell you, with the accidental shootings out of Ontario, it scares the $h!+ out of me.

I think the main issues people have with "road hunters" should really be called issues with "bad hunters". A road hunter is not necessarily a bad hunter, and vice versa.

Great opinion here. Good post. As for the top portion.. (B)

There are alot of dangerous yahoos out there. But people who are driving the roads looking for game.... safely.. let them be and let them have at it.

Another reason ive found that people road hunt... is because it is rarely safe anymore to abandon your vehicle and walk in/quad in to a place to hunt. No body has respect for others belongings anymore it seems. It must sure suck to come back to a broke into vehicle or worse.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:

well said
Old 11-08-2013, 02:56 PM

I think this thread is now on a progressive course, many good points.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:

Nailed it.^^^^
Old 11-08-2013, 03:23 PM

I do a lot of both. To be quite honest (granted I am not in heavily populated areas) I have ran into some seriously dangerous dudes walking around. I am sure for some road hunting is due to lazyness. It does have its places though and can be a useful tool. I'm not ashamed when I do it. Sept oct and parts of november are spent walking around but when rut hits I like to cover ground. I have hiked up mountains and put some serious work in but even if all I did was road hunt if it was done legally who is anyone to judge another hunter. Guys use trailcams. I do not. Guys strictly bow hunt. I do not. Guys sit in treestands. I do not. I can understand frustration at getting a hunt busted but in my opinion if its done legally then it is no ones business but their own.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:15 PM

Attention Anti Hunters

Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Guys who shoot from trucks out the window are criminals, not hunters.
Guys who chase coyotes on skidoos.... What are they called?

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 11-08-2013, 04:49 PM

Sure glad no of AO forum members are driving scoping things out, must just be me ! And then I don't know who the heck it is when i'm in the bush. I assume everyone here closes their eyes when they are driving anywhere ?
Old 11-08-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndogn View Post
Sure glad no of AO forum members are driving scoping things out, must just be me ! And then I don't know who the heck it is when i'm in the bush. I assume everyone here closes their eyes when they are driving anywhere ?
If you mean scoping with any optics other than the one on your gun, no problem. We all do it and it's part of the game. But scoping with a riflescope is very dangerous and should absolutely never be done, as you're pointing a weapon at a person potentially, or otherwise at game you have no idea if you should shoot yet or not.
Old 11-08-2013, 05:44 PM

Default Road hunting tag or stamp.

The government could do well by selling a Road hunting Tag or stamp. Lucky hunters who had these tags or stamps may have to have a tall whip aerial with a skull and cross bones flag mounted on their truck, this way everyone else would stay off the roads. This tag would be good in all zones.