Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-13-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
OP is asking about hunting licence not tags, obviously you need your tags to properly tag an animal should you harvest one. A person having an untagged animal is a completely different scenario
Ok.

So you're saying, go ahead, don't carry your liscense, but make sure you carry your tags?

Why would any body just carry tags and not their liscence if big game hunting?

Sure. Whatever
Old 06-14-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
Ok.

So you're saying, go ahead, don't carry your liscense, but make sure you carry your tags?

Why would any body just carry tags and not their liscence if big game hunting?

Sure. Whatever

"Download the AlbertaRelm APP and easily store your licences electronically! Please remember that the onus is on the hunter to produce the electronic or paper licence when requested by an officer during field compliance checks."
Old 06-14-2019, 10:12 AM

Can someone point me to the app for iPhone?
Old 06-14-2019, 12:35 PM

Im not sure if they can pull data from the truck, I would like to think not but I dont know for sure. I do know that a paper copy is the key. If I was in that situation however I would tell the truth, it's hell of a lot less to remember in the long run. "Well sir, I forgot it back at camp which is where I am heading now." Ultimately it's your responsibility to carry it in the first place and depending on the Officer you have to deal with and your attitude toward the situation will determine how the events unfold from there. An old saying used to be when you walked out the door it went something like "Wallet, Watch, Spectacles, Test***es. With Hunting its. Rifle, Knife, Ammo, Tags, Rope for pulling the game we bag. A silly mental note I've used from time to time.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
Can someone point me to the app for iPhone?
I haven’t been able to find it the other day.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:50 PM

Kind of related and maybe even in a way answers the op’s question. While browsing the regulations today stumbled into this:

Failure to carry the license while hunting is the second most popular offence on the list. Lol. Not sure if people hunting without the license (number three in popularity) are charged with this as well or not.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
I haven’t been able to find it the other day.
Really struggling finding the Albertarelm app. Has anyone been able to find it? Does it even exist?
Thanks.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:10 PM

No such app. Need to carry a signed copy of fishing, wild life cert, etc plus paper copies of your tag until filled if hunting. A signed pdf copy of the fishing licence and wildlife cert will usually do. Most importantly don't be a dick head to the officer and be honest with them, they're trained to smell bull from a mile away. This will get you further then trying to lie your way out of things.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 06-14-2019, 10:29 PM

Thought so. Thanks, Joe!

Edit: will try to drop by the FW office on Monday and ask them about the PDFs. Will post here if I do that.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:02 PM

Here's a question,

What if it was the exact same scenario as OP mentioned, but instead of driving back to camp on the main road to pick up your license, you get stopped/checked in the bush on a logging road.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:06 PM

The app hasn't been released just yet
Old 06-17-2019, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Edit: will try to drop by the FW office on Monday and ask them about the PDFs. Will post here if I do that.
Stopped at the office today. Like the poster above said, the app exists and it will be released in September (though I am sure August makes more sense due to the start of a big game hunting season).

There was no one “in-the-know” to answer my other questions, but I left my number so someone will give me a call at some point (hopefully). Will post again if they do.

On a side note, the office moved to another room in the same building and it seemed they downsized (just what it appeared like to me, not a fact).
Old 06-17-2019, 02:23 PM

Another thought in regards to the app, now that its existence is confirmed. Will they be tracking the users and be able to put a person on the spot if need be? I personally think this is more interesting than if they can check on the spot if you have a license or not.
Old 06-17-2019, 03:11 PM

Talked to a FW officer. It was news to him, so he actually had to read for himself in the draw booklet (which I told him where I saw it when he asked where i got got the idea from). Then he had to consult with his counterparts before providing me with a definitive answer. The answer was yes, you can provide an electronic copy of any license that does not require a signature. Also, the accent was on you have to provide a license, whether it is electronic or not, so make sure your battery is charged or have a paper copy.

So no go for the fishing license (also because the changes were printed in the hunting regs, not fishing).

I did not ask him if they can check on the spot, etc, because I see it as irrelevant given the way the law is currently written.

My personal perspective, I will carry both, electronic and paper, for another season. If asked, I will present electronic copy first and see how that pans out.

Hope that helps others as well.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:51 PM

We were checked out on a spring bear hunt 8-10 yrs ago. They took our licences back to the truck & cross-referenced them on a laptop. One member of our group had forgot his licence but had his tag, they checked him out, issued him a warning & told him not to fill the tag until he retrieved the licence.

They definitely have access to your info when they're in the field, a good thing for sure.

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 06-19-2019, 05:53 AM

I don't have the correct answer to the original question, but this did happen to me last year. Luckily we happened to be in an area where I could get on AlbertaRelm to produce the licenses that I had purchased. We were about 10kms from camp on our way out for the afternoon. Even with the online licenses shown to the officer, he said I still must carry the paper copies, and sent me back to camp to get them. He was friendly about it, and said if we ran into another officer I could still receive a ticket for failing to produce my license.