Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-22-2018, 10:54 PM

Default Think I have Tree Bumblebee’s nesting in my bird house ????

We have a number of bee’s hanging around our condo property, never seen anything like this before, had to google and did some reading, never heard of a Tree Bumblebee (Bombus hypnorum), wonder if these are them ? Also wondering what would happen to them if I just leave them alone and would they survive the winter? Guess we’ll find out next year, my back yard science experiment.

The two in the pic look like they’re standing guard, behind them are a number of others just staring out. I may just park outside they're nest one day and do a head count when they get active.

Anyone here have any experience with Tree Bumblebee’s are they rare or common ?

A few pics … enjoy.

David

Interesting info on the net.

Where are bumble bee nests?

Some nest underground, in places such as abandoned rodent holes, under sheds and in compost heaps. Of those that nest above ground, some make nests in thick grass, while others make nests in bird boxes, lofts and in trees. One of the species which nests in bird boxes and lofts is the Tree bumblebee (Bombus hypnorum).

Do bumble bees have a hive?

Bumble bees are social insects which live in nests or colonies. Typically, only inseminated queens overwinter and do so underground. During the spring, bumble bee queens select a suitable subterranean cavity or surface grass clump as a nesting site and lays eggs

Do bumble bees sting or bite you?

Queen and worker bumblebees can sting. Unlike in honeybees, a bumblebee's sting lacks barbs, so the bee can sting repeatedly without injuring itself; by the same token, the sting is not left in the wound. Bumblebee species are not normally aggressive, but may sting in defence of their nest, or if harmed.

Do all bumble bees make honey?

Honeybees put up a lot of honey to prepare for the winter. Bumblebees, by contrast, only make a small colony of maybe 100 bees and do not make a big comb filled with honey. They do not cluster like honeybees so the queen is generally the only one to survive the winter trials.

Where do the bees go in the winter?

As the weather becomes cool, the honeybees gather in a central area of the hive and form a “winter cluster." A winter cluster is much like a huddle you may have seen at a football game — except it lasts all winter! Bees have one main job in the winter — to take care of the queen bee.

Do bees die in the winter time?

This helps them to survive the winter. They hibernate alone, underground, buried in soil. The rest of the nest (the old queen, the male bees and the worker female bees) die out during autumn. In the spring the warmer temperatures wake the queen bees from their hibernation.

Old 06-22-2018, 10:59 PM

Way cool .
Old 06-22-2018, 11:05 PM

Life is grim....unless you a queen bee!
Old 06-22-2018, 11:23 PM

Pretty common that bumble bees set up shop in bird houses. Perfect size for them.

I don't know anything about "Tree" bumble bees in particular.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:27 AM

Very cool. We had a nest under our deck for a few years. My daughter wants me to build her one. It's on the list. http://www.instructables.com/id/Buil...or-Bumblebees/
Old 06-23-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
Very cool. We had a nest under our deck for a few years. My daughter wants me to build her one. It's on the list. http://www.instructables.com/id/Buil...or-Bumblebees/
Interesting bee boxes.

Before I hang a Bird Log House around our property I fill 10-20% of the cavity the with a combo of hamster shavings and dead crow/magpie feathers to give the birds a good base to start building a nest, the Chickadee's normally remove some of the contents and add to it with grass or other material.

I imagine the bee's thought that was a bonus when they moved in this spring.

D.