Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-21-2018, 06:45 PM

Default Help Please!!! Transom Repair or Replace Edmonton

Hello All,

I bought a new to me boat and before I even got to use it, the transom broke. I am looking for a place in Edmonton that can replace it. It is a 16.5 foot aluminum blue fin boat. It is a wood transom with an aluminum skin. Both the wood and the aluminum are broken. This is a real bummer as I went a little above my budget buying the boat and this will certainly not be a cheap. Any help is appreciated. Has anyone else recently had to repair or replace their transom?

Thanks
Old 05-21-2018, 10:50 PM

Default Define "Broke"

depending on what you mean, 4Bees Metal Products off of Argyle helped me bring "The Mistress" Back to life.

They wanted me to bring it in after I finished adding all the pieces for a photo shoot.

Drewski
Old 05-22-2018, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
depending on what you mean, 4Bees Metal Products off of Argyle helped me bring "The Mistress" Back to life.

They wanted me to bring it in after I finished adding all the pieces for a photo shoot.

Drewski
Hi Drewski,

The wood must be rotted, the entire piece of wood will have to be replaced and the aluminum skin over the wood has torn beside the motor mounting plate. As far as I can tell, the transom is not salvageable. I might have to check out 4Bees, they are only a block or so away from where I work. What did they do to yours and how bad was yours?

Thanks,

Chris
Old 05-22-2018, 02:49 PM

4bees was great!

The did custom checkerplate aluminum door and hatch covers, radius rolled edges and welded.

They did a Stainless Steel "roll bar" which goes over the single console station, with some mounting plates for boat lights, about 2.5 inches thick.

On the transom, my capping was corroded on the transom, and the double thick 3/4 inch plywood was soft. My boat is a Sylvan 17 with a deep motor well design (Great Lakes Back Troller). They formed a 1/4 " formed capping to go over the new wood transom, capping in the aluminum plating.

There were a few other odd things I wanted as well, and they were very keen to do it and see how it was all fitting.

It did look very sharp when it was all done.

Drewski
Old 05-22-2018, 04:30 PM

How trashed is the aluminum?

I am no hull tech but why not pull the wood out replace and then re-sheet with aluminum ie screw a large patch right over the existing torn up aluminum - bond and seal it well.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:30 PM

I went through this last year. I made a new board, had the aluminum piece made, reinstalled everything then made a new much heavier aluminum reinforcement for the transom. It was a fun project (sort of) and the total cost was under $200. All materials sourced and bought in Edmonton.

Much better than wood to replace the transom is a product called coosa board, but I couldnt find a Canadian distributor here in the west.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:20 PM

There are lots of YouTube videos for transom repair. Never tried but have been told it's a 1 day job for a DIY project.

Aqua marine does great work with older boats if you wanted to have the work done. Might just be motors though
Old 05-23-2018, 09:30 AM

Thank you guys for all of your replies. I have watched several YouTube videos and I do think it is something I could possibly do with exception of having no time. Getting the motor off would possibly be the most difficult part.

The existing aluminum skin is quite damaged, I may be able to bond and seal a new skin over top of the old piece. I have a friend who runs a marine service shop and he has some sublets in Calgary that might be able to help me out as well. I also talked to Barry Jay's and they said that they don't do it, they would have someone in Manitoba do it, he told me that nobody here will even touch it till winter time. Obviously if that's the case, I'll do it myself. Like most people on this site, fishing is my summer sport and I bought this boat and spent a month getting it ready and setup nicely highly anticipating opening day and the thought of not using it all summer is a major downer.

I was able to put a transom saver on the trailer and secure the transom and motor enough to get it home safely last night. Again thank you all for your input and if anyone else has anymore insight or contacts, it would be greatly appreciated. I will update this thread as well once I have made some progress.

Thank you all again.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:27 PM

You could call this guy. Clint @ Monster Marine. I had a Ins claim go through there. He had a few boats in there with various work being done to the hulls. Looked to me he knew what he was doing.

Don't cost anything to see what he thinks. Get a quote and see.

22573 HWY 16
Sherwood Park, AB T8H 0M1
Office: 780-464-2424
Fax: 780-464-2425
Old 05-23-2018, 02:41 PM

Default Aqua Marine is good to work with

Aqua Marine did the rebuild / repair after I upgraded the deck / hull.

That was before he moved to Vancouver Island for a while. I know he is back in Edmonton for some time though.

If I remember right it is Darren. I have lost his info and would love to get back in touch with him if anyone can help. He was happy with the Transom work I did with 4bees.

Drewski
Old 05-23-2018, 06:44 PM

What is the make of your boat and year ?
Old 05-23-2018, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Aqua Marine did the rebuild / repair after I upgraded the deck / hull.

That was before he moved to Vancouver Island for a while. I know he is back in Edmonton for some time though.

If I remember right it is Darren. I have lost his info and would love to get back in touch with him if anyone can help. He was happy with the Transom work I did with 4bees.

Drewski
Darren is his name. He is on the west side just off 215 street. Did some work for me last year

Darren/Aqua marine 17804818608
Old 05-23-2018, 11:05 PM

Drewski, I will be sure to contact 4 bees and aqua marine.

Sooner, I will also contact Monster Marine.

Fluxcore, it is a 1986 Bluefin Aluminum 16 ft.

Thanks again guys,

Chris
Old 06-24-2018, 09:55 PM

Default Update

Hi All,

Thought I would give an update on the busted transom. I checked out Barry Jays, Budget ATV and Prop, 4 bees and Monster Marine as well as pricing it out to do myself.

After much thought and deliberation I went with Monster Marine. Clint and Jeff did a great job repairing it. They didn't come a dollar over what was quoted, they knew immediately how they were going to attack it and they had it done when they said they would.

I am happy to have the boat back. I am still irritated at myself that I got suckered and bought a boat with a weak/rotted transom. I thought I knew enough to tell the condition of the transom myself. I should have paid to have a pre-purchase inspection. Expensive lesson, live and learn I guess.

Thanks to all who pm'ed me and those who posted on here.

Tight lines,

Chris