Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-24-2018, 06:08 PM

Default How to use a mooching reel?

Hey guys,

I bought a cheap daiwa mooching setup for my downrigger... problem is I don't understand how to use the damn thing.

It has a switch to toggle the drag on/off but the drag can't be tightened enough so that it doesn't just free spool out.

If I let line out of the boat to troll it just continuously winds out... and I definitely can't "load it" on a downrigger.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:19 PM

You don't want the reel in free spool when you tighten the drag so switch from free spool. Now you say the drag won't tighten enough? Is that the case even with the free spool off?
If that is the case maybe the reel missing drag spring under drag tension knob. Their fairly fool proof. Don't be afraid to remove drag knob and remove spool from body and see what is going on within the reel.
You can pm me with your number and Ill call you and go through it with you.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:41 PM

I have 2 of the newest Diawa m-one UTD mooching reels, don’t know if that is what you have or not they are inexpensive but work fine. I pulled mine apart just to have look. They do have a lever which gives total freespool. With the freespool off the center drag knob controls drag friction on line going out, a very standard set up. They have 3 fiber drag disks and 4 metal ones if I remember correctly. They generate a **** ton of drag if you want them to, and there is no issue with them being weak in that department.

There is a way to switch them from right hand to left hand as well.

For an exploded diagram Google “Mike’s reel repair diawa m one utd” if you want to pull it apart to take a look what’s wrong. Very simple reels.

Last edited by ROA; 06-24-2018 at 07:46 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:59 PM

I'm starting to think I spooled the reel on in the wrong direction and that's why the drag isn't holding?
Old 06-24-2018, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shep546 View Post
I'm starting to think I spooled the reel on in the wrong direction and that's why the drag isn't holding?
I was just about to suggest that ....
Old 06-24-2018, 09:23 PM

It is supposed to click with no resistance when you reel in and click on the way out with increasing resistance as the drag knob is tightened. If it is backwards to that it is set up for the “wrong hand” and you need to open it up and switch it to work properly the way you use it. You would have to google that one as I don’t remember how to do it if the top of my head. Or just re spool it so it works and just get used to using it with that hand.

Normally they are set up from the factory so the reel knobs are on the left hand side when you are holding the rod. The reel is also supposed to hang below the rod when you use it and you reel clockwise to reel the line in.

Last edited by ROA; 06-24-2018 at 09:28 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:37 PM

It's super weird to be... if it's spooled the correct way, to reel in you have to reel clockwise with the reel knob on the left side... which is the opposite of any reel I've ever had including my fly reels which are the same setup?

So I have to mount the reel so the knob is on the right hand side in order to reel normally?
Old 06-25-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
It's super weird to be... if it's spooled the correct way, to reel in you have to reel clockwise with the reel knob on the left side... which is the opposite of any reel I've ever had including my fly reels which are the same setup?

So I have to mount the reel so the knob is on the right hand side in order to reel normally?
You should be able to change the inner parts so that the drag works on one side or the other.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:

As others have said it sounds like you did not convert the reel to left hand retrieve. I can't find a manual online that explains how to do so but I assume you need to flip a part or parts inside(looking at parts diagram maybe the ratchet, not sure as they don't make it obvious). You will also need to move the line guard.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:55 PM

Quote:
How to use a mooching real?
I grew up on the West Coast with a mooching real in my hand. Back home that would be like asking a buddy how to masterbate...
Old 06-26-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:

Ya sorry I goofed when typing. RIGHT HAND side is normal. . My bad