Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-21-2018, 09:54 AM

Default Ever had one of those days?

Picked up a large item at London Drugs yesterday. Directed to the back Receiving Area and backed down the loading Ramp in my Wife's Honda Fit.

Shut the vehicle off and rang the buzzer. Loading dock door opened and they directed me to back in a bit closer. Key would not enter the ignition and steering wheel was locked. After a few frustrating minutes-Decided to just put it in Neutral and back down a few more feet and just get the item loaded because the shipper was waiting on me.
Loaded the item and then I set to work to try to get it started and wriggle the key into place

Another 15 minutes pass with no joy and sure enough a truck is waiting at the top of the ramp leaning on his horn.

So I had to push the vehicle up the 30m ramp by myself in neutral with the steering locked. Now I am blocking a travel lane and unable to turn. 10 more minutes pass with angry horns blaring.

Eventually it slid in and I was on my way.

Best day ever

Last edited by omega50; 06-21-2018 at 10:02 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Key would not enter the ignition and steering wheel was locked.
Are there a lot of things on that key ring? Honda is notorious for having crappy cylinders in the ignition... too much weight dangling on the key chain will wear out the cylinder. I had to rebuild the cylinder in my daughter's Fit a couple years ago... that was fun!

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:11 PM

If that's all that's wrong with your day so far consider yourself lucky. I have been staring at legal documents since 8 am trying to make heads or tails of them with no luck. One Act says we are exempt, another says we are exempt from registration but must follow all conditions such as requiring user authorization certificates. Another says we're good to go as is. Of course the government official I need to talk to is on holidays and no one else can give me a straight answer.
Man, even our gun laws make more sense than the stuff Im currently dealing with.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 06-21-2018, 01:35 PM

Last week I was driving to pick up my new service van from a shelving outfitter as the shelving package were still being shipped from the manufacturer and I had uses for it for the interim. On the trip there I kept encountering construction delays or traffic accidents and wound up taking probably 5 route revisions, then we came upon a train and I U-turned to avoid that. I approached the van outfitters from the east rather than my normal route from the west and the unpaved section we turned onto looked as though it had been shelled by artillery, it was as horribly potholed as I'be ever seen. I drove extremely slow and was trying to steer around all of the obstacles in front and did OK for the front axle of the wife's wee Corolla but while avoiding the bumps in front we still caught a sharp drop at the rear axle. This resulted in an audible exhaust system leak near the engine, I believe by the flex-pipe adjacent the exhaust manifold. Mrs Caber was less than impressed that I was at the wheel when this happened to her beloved car (it's an older car but she's fond of it anyways). Also ironic is that it happened when picking up my brand-new work van. Due to the age and condition of her car it might be a write-off now, mechanically it's great but the years have taken a toll cosmetically.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:44 PM

Yesterday I had to run out to Ft. Sask for a meeting. Turning from 142 street onto Yellowhead (properly I might add!) I noticed traffic was stopped under the overpass. Im late already, decided I better get off and changed lanes to St Albert Trail. Part way through my lane change, I noticed the traffic was just stopped on the right, maybe a collision? Went back onto Yellowhead, crossing the solid line, and sure enough, that's what the back up was for. Cops had next years raises all lined up.
My cop and I had a chuckle over it, he was told to check me close because the spotter thought I might be drunk.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:58 PM

Quite a few years ago. Had to drive my new girlfriend home in the morning as she had to work. We had slept in a little so I just threw on a robe. Halfway to her house, the muffler on my 75 vette started dragging. Got to her place and ran upstairs with her so I could grab a coat hanger and wire it up, laying on my back and trying to keep Jim and the twins covered. Ran back down the stairs, still in a bit of a haze from the night before. Forgot that the door was to the right and slammed right into the clear glass panel. I landed on my butt and the panel shattered! Jumped in my car and took off. Noticed someone honking at me, looked in my mirror and saw my spare bouncing off into a vacant lot. Kept driving.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
Are there a lot of things on that key ring? Honda is notorious for having crappy cylinders in the ignition... too much weight dangling on the key chain will wear out the cylinder. I had to rebuild the cylinder in my daughter's Fit a couple years ago... that was fun!

ARG
yes this if you are handy you can pop out the cylinder and clean out the gunk and metal bits and shards and just re grease it would work ...or just paid honda $500
Old 06-21-2018, 02:51 PM
Banned

To tell the truth I've gone through life (since I was 22) very seldom having 'one of those days'.
True story. In 1976 I was in the Misercordia having hip surgery that has left me with a permanent limp. I was told I would have a limp before going into surgery and was feeling sorry for myself.
They were doing work on the orthopedic wing and the younger patients were not segregated. A 14 year old was put in the bed next to me. He'd had part of one leg amputated due to bone cancer and it had spread.
It was terminal...and he knew it.
His family visited every day and he always managed to act pretty happy when they were there, but at night I'd here him crying in the dark.
Haven't had many of 'those' days since then.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
To tell the truth I've gone through life (since I was 22) very seldom having 'one of those days'.
True story. In 1976 I was in the Misercordia having hip surgery that has left me with a permanent limp. I was told I would have a limp before going into surgery and was feeling sorry for myself.
They were doing work on the orthopedic wing and the younger patients were not segregated. A 14 year old was put in the bed next to me. He'd had part of one leg amputated due to bone cancer and it had spread.
It was terminal...and he knew it.
His family visited every day and he always managed to act pretty happy when they were there, but at night I'd here him crying in the dark.
Really puts things into perspective, eh?

I was in the hospital for a bad shoulder dislocation and the guy beside me was in to have a check up on his recovery from an accident in which he was hit by a C-Train. He lost a few limbs and broke countless bones.

Stopped feeling sorry for myself prrrrretty quick.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:18 PM

Rookie move of the year

Put the WDH hitch in my truck and forgot to put the pin in??? how? senility is my only defense, got as far as the turn onto the highway before "CLUNK" 30' trailer grounded on the hitch an hour of jacking and wrangling with wifey tapping her foot 1st day of summer 28 degrees perfect.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:56 PM

Went to get the rv all ready for the season. Start filling with water and its pouring out of somewhere. Yup didnt pull drain plug on hot water tank last fal. She blew.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:18 PM

As a 15 yr old, I snuck out to go to a party. The girl I was meeting snuck out too. Drink way too much. Party over and She comes with me to my place because we weren’t thinking. We crawl thru a window to my room. Morning comes and I have to go to my job. She is on the floor for some reason , I forget she is there, i get into my fathers truck and i leave.

Im late for work and everyone is mad. I forgot my keys at home so I have to leave and get them. I walk in the door and my mom looks at me confused. She says “i thot i just checked and you were sleeping “.

Im thinking “omg how could she think that mop of long curly brown hair belonged to me?”

I open the door of my room just as the girl is exiting and I clock her right in the head with it. We are trying to be quiet but my mother is now there giving me the evil eye. I drive the girl home on my way back to work. As I drive up, I realize I didn’t even get my keys so I spin my fathers truck around in the dirt and blast back home.

Once I get home, father takes the keys to the truck from me because I had no drivers license (because Im 15) so he gives me crap about the girl and booze and all sorts of various German threats and horror stories,and I literally ran back to work. I get there and, I did NOT GET MY KEYS!

The rest is kinda foggy because I was so mad and frustrated and probably had tears in my eyes. I got fired later that day
Old 06-21-2018, 09:42 PM

One of my first fishing jobs as a toolhand on a rig. They were measuring the pipe 20 joints at a time. I took the tally to my truck to figure out when we were going tag. Went to get something from the box of the truck and when I came back my door was locked with the tally on the seat.

I had to get the rig crew to stop running pipe while I tried to get into my truck so they wouldn't tag unexpectedly.

It doesn't seem like a big deal now but when you have a rig crew standing there and a company man asking questions and you are new to the job it makes it pretty stressful.
Old 06-22-2018, 07:36 PM

Been sort of dark lately.. Two weeks ago a school friend passed away. Known him 40+ years. It was unsuspected as we had talked 2 days earlier. Heart related. Then two days ago I hear of another fellow I've known for 50 years passing suddenly. So I phone a family member to let them know and they tell me of another fellow I've known for 45 years passing. All three of these fellows were schoolmates and were friends thru life. The sad part is all three were under 60. As far as I know all 3 passed suddenly.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 06-22-2018, 10:15 PM
Banned

Ahhhh, the luxury of youth.
I had one of those days...'my car wouldn't start'.
As opposed to 'a life long friend or family member passed'.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ahhhh, the luxury of youth.
I had one of those days...'my car wouldn't start'.
As opposed to 'a life long friend or family member passed'.
You know, Bobtodrick, young people lose family members and lifelong friends too...
Old 06-22-2018, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Picked up a large item at London Drugs yesterday. Directed to the back Receiving Area and backed down the loading Ramp in my Wife's Honda Fit.

Shut the vehicle off and rang the buzzer. Loading dock door opened and they directed me to back in a bit closer. Key would not enter the ignition and steering wheel was locked. After a few frustrating minutes-Decided to just put it in Neutral and back down a few more feet and just get the item loaded because the shipper was waiting on me.
Loaded the item and then I set to work to try to get it started and wriggle the key into place

Another 15 minutes pass with no joy and sure enough a truck is waiting at the top of the ramp leaning on his horn.

So I had to push the vehicle up the 30m ramp by myself in neutral with the steering locked. Now I am blocking a travel lane and unable to turn. 10 more minutes pass with angry horns blaring.

Best day ever
I'm thinking this is an allegory about something else.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse_hunter View Post
You know, Bobtodrick, young people lose family members and lifelong friends too...
Not saying some haven't.
But for the most part there's a lot of 'those days' being related here that are...to say the least, pretty lame. Most are the sort of thing that given a weeks time and it's all forgot.
And for the most part that is the luxury of youth (and I was just as guilty).
But as a friend so eloquently put it...'you hit an age where you go to a lot more funerals than weddings'.
But if you couldn't get that from my post...so be it.
Old 06-23-2018, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Not saying some haven't.
But for the most part there's a lot of 'those days' being related here that are...to say the least, pretty lame. Most are the sort of thing that given a weeks time and it's all forgot.
And for the most part that is the luxury of youth (and I was just as guilty).
But as a friend so eloquently put it...'you hit an age where you go to a lot more funerals than weddings'.
But if you couldn't get that from my post...so be it.
That's why the thread is about one of those days, not, one of those weeks.

Besides, funerals don't stop the odd off day; the actor david niven was being interviewed years ago and talked about the funeral of an old war buddy of his. his buddy stipulated that his pallbearers were to be those friends who lost arms and legs, the grave plot be only accessible by a walk up the grass of a somewhat steep hill, that the hill be well watered the day of his funeral, and that nobody at any point in time help the pallbearers get the casket up the hill.

a one of those days to remember.
Old 06-23-2018, 04:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankbait View Post
That's why the thread is about one of those days, not, one of those weeks.

Besides, funerals don't stop the odd off day; the actor david niven was being interviewed years ago and talked about the funeral of an old war buddy of his. his buddy stipulated that his pallbearers were to be those friends who lost arms and legs, the grave plot be only accessible by a walk up the grass of a somewhat steep hill, that the hill be well watered the day of his funeral, and that nobody at any point in time help the pallbearers get the casket up the hill.

a one of those days to remember.
Cool story.
But that's all I've been trying to get at....what people that have been on the planet for less than say...40 years think is worthy of being called 'a bad day'...well unfortunately there is worse in store
Old 06-23-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Word.

Canadians live in such comfort and mistake inconvenience for hardship.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Abelard View Post
Word.

Canadians live in such comfort and mistake inconvenience for hardship.
this thread is about inconvenience not hardship.

besides, it's not as if we're all the windsors on here and haven't experienced death, disfigurement, health woes, loss, misery, cancer, tragedy and hardship.

op was talking about one of those days, you know, lighthearted and all snafu'ey/fubar'ed yet comical
Old 06-23-2018, 07:46 PM

Quit the lectures and pontificating of the OP and others. Clearly he was conveying a funny and at the same time frustrating story that had a decent ending. If you don't feel it is useful, just move on. Most people can relate.

OP: Keep giving us threads like this. Makes us feel we are not alone in terms of frustrations along the road of life.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankbait View Post
this thread is about inconvenience not hardship.

besides, it's not as if we're all the windsors on here and haven't experienced death, disfigurement, health woes, loss, misery, cancer, tragedy and hardship.

op was talking about one of those days, you know, lighthearted and all snafu'ey/fubar'ed yet comical
Yup. Some people need to lighten up. I could definitely post misery if that’s what this thread was about. It’s not.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:02 PM

I was just installing my basement wet bar cupboards and had some upper cupboards mounted, I descended to do some vacuuming below them and absolutely clocked my noggin on the outside corner of an upper cupboard. Bleeding, unhappy... And here I was makig some looooong overdue progress on them and then this interruption.

Just what I need, more scar tissue where my hair used to be.....
Old 06-23-2018, 08:27 PM

Cupboard doors are proof that satan is real and out to get us!
Old 06-25-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:

Best day ever
Sometimes if there is too much torque on your steering wheel when you turn off ignition it will be very hard to turn key back to start position. Had to rescue wifey one time, just pulled on wheel to ease the pressure on the ignition switch and it turned easily. Not sure if that was your issue but something to check if it happens again.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosemad View Post
Sometimes if there is too much torque on your steering wheel when you turn off ignition it will be very hard to turn key back to start position. Had to rescue wifey one time, just pulled on wheel to ease the pressure on the ignition switch and it turned easily. Not sure if that was your issue but something to check if it happens again.
Not the issue. Had a mobile locksmith out today to rectify the issue. My key would only enter the lock about 60% and then stop dead. Classic Honda worn lock issue since 2002 when they went with laser cut keys to reduce theft -a quick search shows thousands of these issues.
Honda won't recall because they don't feel it is a direct safety issue.

Tech pulled ignition and replaced tumblers. Expensive but AMA will reimburse up to $100 on my membership level for this key service.

Trying to limp through without door lock issues because they tend to all go at the same time and costs about $400 per door. Ignition is the relatively easy fix IF you have the right tools.

Had to postpone clutch job this morning cuz I could not start the car to get it in.

Last edited by omega50; 06-25-2018 at 04:42 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 05:35 PM

Been working out of town lately, went for dinner at the only restaurant and when I went to pay I realized I forgot my wallet. Wether the wallet is in my truck or motel I don’t know. So I go out to my truck to see if the wallet is in there and wouldn’t ya know it, my keys are dangling from my ignition with the doors locked. No spare. All I have is a hatchet, a drunk trucker and his fifth wheel pin puller. Climbed up on my roof to pry the door while he jimmied around with the puller. Managed to break my unlock switch and the bezel surrounding it before we realized we should just pull the unlock backwards and not use the switch. Opens up. Wallets not there. Go back to the motel room climb up the stairs to my room look back at my truck and the hatchet was still on my roof. Couldn’t help but laugh.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:37 PM

I had a pretty decent comedy of errors going last Thursday that carried right over into Friday.

Thursday evening was beautiful, the boy (8 years old) and I decided we should go to the cabin, enjoy the sunshine and get the grass cut. 45 min drive and a couple of hours to cut the grass. We figured the law could use some water so we got that going. The boy decides he want's to take the golf cart for a drive while the water is running. Great, he can drive the golf cart and I can have a cold beer. Perfect day.

As far away as possible the golf cart quits. No big deal, for some reason (the wife didn't plug it in properly) the batteries are dead. 1/2 hour walk and get a quad and pull it back. Time is burning up, as soon as we get the golf cart put away I look at my watch and it's bed time for the boy. Mamma going to be getting upset if we don't leave now.

Jump in the truck, beautiful drive. About 1/2 way home I get a good smell of coolant. Pull over and radiator is leaking. No problem, the next one will be radiator #4 for that truck so it was due anyway. There is still some coolant in the overflow so carry on home and I will for sure remember to put some coolant in it in the morning.

Get home, wife says no hot water. Go downstairs and the heat exchanger in the tankless heater let go and we have a little flood. OH WELL, most of it went down the floor drain. Pull some carpet, shop vac, get rid of underlay and get some fans running. Nearly midnight, off to bed.

4:30 AM my phone goes off and it't the leak detector in the crawl space at the cabin. Can't be, it only floods in the spring if the snow melts real fast. Gotta be a false alarm. Lay back down. 4:35 I start thinking .... what if I left the water on the lawn at the cabin? No way, I would have remembered to turn that off. A little arguing with myself and at 4:37 it's up and into the shower. OH YA, no hot water, no shower.

Jump in truck and drive for about 10 min .... coolant smell. Turn around and go back home and put some coolant in. Back on the road. Get out to the cabin and sure enough the water is on full blast and the crawl space is flooded. No big deal, the pump and hose is all still down there from the spring flood. Pump it out and we are good.

Driving to work and the wife calls. I ask her how the cold shower was. Some yelling and swearing and why didn't I fix it. Me trying to explain you can't just "fix it", needs a new heat exchanger or maybe a new heater. More yelling and when will it be fixed and where the hell did you go at 4:30 in the morning?

"Well dear, I went to the cabin so I could have a nice, long, hot shower!!". She really doesn't need to know about the lawn watering incident LOL