Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-10-2018, 10:22 PM

Default Kikomun Creek Bass Regs

Hey all, i just joined up as i've been seeing nothing but these forum posts pop up everytime i google something. i figured i may as well join the fun.

anyway i'm heading out to BC for some small mouth bass fishing and these BC regs are driving me nuts, i want to make sure i don't break any rules, all my previous trips to these lakes were catch and release but i want to teach my son how to clean and gut and cook a fish (hopefully one he catches) so its important to me that he learns how to follow the rules.

My questions is specifically about size. the BC reg website mentions that anything to do with size are detailed on the region specific table.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/reg...19_region4.pdf

i can see the quota is specifically 8 per day but no mention of size. so my initial thought is maybe there isn't a size restriction? but then the province wide section mentions that there is no general size limit for trout of char in BC but no mention of Bass. a general search online lead me to a site that mentioned 18 inches but this was far from official.

any thoughts from you guys on where i can find this out without the fun on being on hold calling into a government Q&A line?

thank you for the help, much appreciated!
Old 06-10-2018, 10:50 PM

Old 06-10-2018, 11:10 PM

The regional regs at the top say what you can and can’t fish for, then the lakes listed in the tables are exceptions to the regional regs.

All the lakes in the Kikomun Creek Park are 8 bass per day, no size limit.
Old 06-10-2018, 11:15 PM

perfect, good to know i was reading it right, it was the size limit i was worried about. thank you for clearing that up
Old 06-11-2018, 01:24 AM

I just came off the water today in the Kikomun Creek area and hopefully I can be of some assistance. I take it you'll be hitting Surveyors Lake? There are no Smallmourh Bass in the Jaffray area despite what signs or the regulations tell you. I've lived and fished in this area for 40+ years, and was an aquaculture technician stationed not too far away in the early 90's.

Surveyors Lake isn't what I consider to be a premier Bass fishing waterbody. It does have a lot of small Largemouth Bass that are easy to catch. I've come across many in the 12" range with the occasional portly female, but nothing like what I've pulled out of Windermere or Duck Lake. It's devoid of obnoxious boaters, as no motors are allowed. I hope you have a canoe or kayak which is well suited to this small lake. Fishing from shore isn't fantastic, as the areas you need to be successful require you to have a boat .

It's correct that there's no size limit and you can keep 8, but keep in mind that the Bass are still spawning. I have found that it doesn't affect taste, but some people find it unethical to target them at this time. Watch some YouTube videos on how to fillet/clean them as the rib structure can be tricky.

Hope this helps and good luck
Old 06-11-2018, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Norris View Post
I just came off the water today in the Kikomun Creek area and hopefully I can be of some assistance. I take it you'll be hitting Surveyors Lake? There are no Smallmourh Bass in the Jaffray area despite what signs or the regulations tell you. I've lived and fished in this area for 40+ years, and was an aquaculture technician stationed not too far away in the early 90's.

Surveyors Lake isn't what I consider to be a premier Bass fishing waterbody. It does have a lot of small Largemouth Bass that are easy to catch. I've come across many in the 12" range with the occasional portly female, but nothing like what I've pulled out of Windermere or Duck Lake. It's devoid of obnoxious boaters, as no motors are allowed. I hope you have a canoe or kayak which is well suited to this small lake. Fishing from shore isn't fantastic, as the areas you need to be successful require you to have a boat .

It's correct that there's no size limit and you can keep 8, but keep in mind that the Bass are still spawning. I have found that it doesn't affect taste, but some people find it unethical to target them at this time. Watch some YouTube videos on how to fillet/clean them as the rib structure can be tricky.

Hope this helps and good luck
Any luck fishing Baynes lake? I will be out there first weekend of July