Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-22-2010, 12:03 PM
Banned

Default "hunt" definition

Here is the definition of hunting that I received from SRD.

1(1)(o) “hunt” means, subject to subsection (6), with reference to a subject animal,
(i) shoot at, harass or worry,
(ii) chase, pursue, follow after or on the trail of, search for, flush, stalk or lie in wait for,
(iii) capture or wilfully injure or kill,
(iv) attempt to capture, injure or kill, or
(v) assist another person to hunt in a manner specified in subclause (i), (ii), (iii) or (iv) while that other person is so hunting;

(6) Where
(a) a person has the intent to hunt, and believes or appears to believe that the person is hunting,
(b) what the person is purporting to hunt is actually a representation of a wildlife animal that has been set out by a wildlife officer or wildlife guardian, and
(c) having regard to the time when, the location where and any other relevant circumstances under which the activity takes place, the activity would, if that representation were a real wildlife animal of the kind represented, constitute an act of hunting that would be an offence against a hunting provision of this Act,
then the person is deemed for the purposes of this Act to be hunting such a wildlife animal and is guilty of an offence against that provision.

I would assume hunter hosts would not fall under this as they would be considered guides. But I would be very careful if you are just going "sight seeing", "hiking" or "photographing" with your buddy, while he/she is hunting, and you don't have a tag.
I find this quite funny. You can take your buddy from out of province hunting and help him in every way possible, except pull the trigger. But, you can't go "hunting" with your buddy across the street. Anyone else find this WRONG?

Last edited by Tonto; 01-22-2010 at 12:12 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:38 PM
Gone Hunting

There is another section of the wildlife regulations which basically states that the above does not apply if one is: viewing, painting, photographing wildlife.

(so you could "push bush" without a licence if you have your sketch pad handy)

I have the link on another computer but would have to look it up to post it on this one.

I don't usually like to give this kind of advice without quoting directly from the regulations but it is what it is.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...