Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-18-2010, 07:26 AM

I had a chunk of some sort of lizard on a stick in Mexico.....I think it was really a rat.

Domestically, I had antelope meat balls once that would turn your guts......I havent had antelope since.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:30 AM

Default Flipper Pie

I have a pretty hardy stomach, but it turned and nearly emptied itself when I tried (Seal) Flipper pie when I was in Newfoundland.

IF you can imagine a nice, slow roasted beef roast, then marinate that in rotten fish oil. Put in a pie with cream and veggies and more rotten fish oil. And then do a rotten fish oil shooter. Then you are almost halfway to how bad it tastes.

Wasn't a fan of Black bear either, but in comparaison, I would rather eat double my weight in black bear than be near a flipper pie again!!!
Old 01-18-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadjoe108 View Post
I have a pretty hardy stomach, but it turned and nearly emptied itself when I tried (Seal) Flipper pie when I was in Newfoundland.

IF you can imagine a nice, slow roasted beef roast, then marinate that in rotten fish oil. Put in a pie with cream and veggies and more rotten fish oil. And then do a rotten fish oil shooter. Then you are almost halfway to how bad it tastes.

Wasn't a fan of Black bear either, but in comparaison, I would rather eat double my weight in black bear than be near a flipper pie again!!!
I would kill for a piece of flipper right now, its been about 3 or 4 years since I've had any. I guess its all about the preparation, 'cause all the seal I've eaten has been wonderful, albeit with a strong flavor.

Anyone ever tried salted capelin? Got a bunch in my freezer that I'm bringing salmon fishing this year for over the fire. Its the crack of the sea, once you get over the fact that you're eating a whole fish; guts, fins, head and all and you try it, your hooked.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Walrus is definitely on my bucket list of things to hunt. I understand they bury it for several months and then dig it up and eat it. It doesn't sound overly appitizing.
Definately on my list as well......unreal hunt Something appealing about hunting at midnight under the sun and standing on ice flows in July

I do not like being in TOWN when it's being cooked....let alone in the house

tm
Old 01-18-2010, 09:26 AM

Worst I've had was raw horse and a close second is Cuban mystery meat. Even the hermit crabs in Cuba will eat the rice you give them before they touch the mystery meat. I never forget to pack a box of Eatmores when fishing in Cuba.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:00 AM
Banned

Lutifisk,a norwegian delecacy made of cod packed in lye.You soak it for a while and steam or boil it.Then you burn your house down.It smells like 1000 rotten fish and looks like slimy boiled jelly fish.My wifes family is Norwegian and they have it for Christmas.
I stay home and have a nice deer steak.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:21 AM

I've got two that I've found to be just gross.

Late November ram that smelled so bad I could barely get it past my nose. The taste was absolutely terrible. Funny though I got a ewe this fall that is fantastic and very close to being some of the best tasting meat I've had.

Over Christmas we were in Belize for a while. After a few beer at the local beach bar the lady bartender offered us a "tasty local treat" to try. It came out and look like the most greasy piece of meat I've ever seen. She called it the Royal Rat or Gibnut. Absolutely nasty!!... even after a few pints of beer had been polished off. I think it made my wife sick just looking at me eat it!!
Old 01-18-2010, 10:27 AM

Musk ox hands down!
Old 01-18-2010, 10:28 AM

Thsi may **** off some fishermen out there but my vote goes for any and all seafood hands down... On the other hand i had some fantastic antelope stew this year at hunting camp.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:51 AM

I'd say rare/ medium rare sage hen. It tasted like spruce needles. Mind you I shot it and roasted it on an open fire. After being stuck in the bush for 3 days with no food, I had no complaints.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:01 AM

Wow....the amount of musk-ox replies is surprising to me. I've never had it when it wasn't OK to really really good.

tm
Old 01-18-2010, 11:04 AM

ostritch yeeeeeeeeeee ucky kacka pooohpoooh,
the black bear, i once was dressing out a black bear that had tricinousas worms , no way never ugh agh , will i eat Black bear again, and armadillo uuuuuugh yea uck and french fries no way wont touch em poor guy that lostem

Last edited by u_cant_rope_the_wind; 01-18-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
Wow....the amount of musk-ox replies is surprising to me. I've never had it when it wasn't OK to really really good.
tm
X2
The one time I had Muskox it was great. To be honest I couldn't tell if it was beef or muskox.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 01-18-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foothillsman View Post
I'd say rare/ medium rare sage hen. It tasted like spruce needles. Mind you I shot it and roasted it on an open fire. After being stuck in the bush for 3 days with no food, I had no complaints.
Whats the interesting story behind the no food for 3 days part?
Old 01-18-2010, 12:04 PM

u cant rope the wind - I have eaten loads of ostrich and never had a bad piece. Most folks couldn't tell the difference between ostrich and beef. Perhaps you had a bad piece?

209x50 - I found Guinea pig in Ecuador accpetable...Its wasn't great, kind of like fatty pork, but tolerable (I wouldn't seek it out though!). If you went through Latacunga just south of Quito perhaps you had a 'chugchucara' - the ultimate heart stopping pork meal ever!

Sheephunter - most folks are usually surpised by zebra meat, its always better than they think its going be!

My worst was overcooked Shoveler! I will never shoot another shoveler ever again! It was an early season hen that I way overcooked and it tasted like blood and anerobic wetland mud mixed together.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:26 PM

u cant rope the wind - I have eaten loads of ostrich and never had a bad piece. Most folks couldn't tell the difference between ostrich and beef. Perhaps you had a bad piece?

the one i had tryed tasted between sawdust and old rubber boots that just came in from the horse corals
Old 01-18-2010, 01:47 PM

Jackrabbit. A few years back a cousin and I shot a ton of them he said you cook the fron legs like chicken wings. I come home one day and open the door smell that rotten liver smell and ordered KFC.

Had bear it tasted ok but ut was really tough.

Any animal that dies hard usually tastes real bad reguardless of spiecies.

any diver duck is a pass
Old 01-18-2010, 02:29 PM

X2 on the shoveler.....yecchhhhhh It was my first season for waterfowl and big game. I definately learned some valuble lessons. Has anyone tried snipe? They are so small and I was reluctant, but it was actually pretty good. I'll stay away from coots too
Old 01-18-2010, 03:08 PM

BLACK BEAR!!! I had a friend serve me some for supper one night, I threw up in my mouth twice trying to get the first bite down!!!!!
Old 01-18-2010, 03:21 PM

Default Muskox

[QUOTE=AxeMan;484490]For me:

Muskox, it was the worst, it actually tasted musky.

X 2 ...HAD IT AT THE NICEST HOTEL DINING ROOM IN YELLOWKNIFE...THE CARIBOU WAS FANTASTIC...
Old 01-18-2010, 03:28 PM

[QUOTE=Grizzled;485112
X 2 ...HAD IT AT THE NICEST HOTEL DINING ROOM IN YELLOWKNIFE...THE CARIBOU WAS FANTASTIC...[/QUOTE]

Next time you're up I'll take ya to the best place in town and it ain't in a hotel

tm
Old 01-18-2010, 03:47 PM

Headcheese sandwiches. And a really stinky rutting buck that I couldn't even mix with beef 1:4 and make chili with.

The headcheese sandwich was courtesy of my father in law. I will try to make the story short but. . .We were fishing at Wabumum one fine day many years ago when he was just my girlfriend's father. It was a beautiful day and the fish weren't biting. My girlfriend's brother and I were goofing around and throwing the odd snowball as it was one of those hot days where the snow is perfect for snowballs. My father-in-law likes to fish sitting on a bucket with an old ice fishing tent just draped over him. He was a fair ways away but just in the range of a snowball if you really peppered it. So being boys (okay I was around 27 then, but still a boy at heart), we started tossing a few. One landed on his tarp by his foot and he popped up out of his cover with some advice on where to stick the snowballs. We quickly went back to fishing.

After an hour or so (more like 10 minutes), still with fishing slow the snowballs made another appearance. Now he has moved to another hole about another 10 yards away. Surely we cannot hit him. . .so we start again. I make the perfect snowball and right out of my hand I call that I have got him. Yep, I got him, square on the top of the head. Pow. He was about 60 yards or so away so this thing was moving. Well, he came out from underneath his cover with every possible curse word you could imagine. . .and then some. There were some threats of walking home (since he was driving) and even some physical threats. My bro-in-law quickly reveals the fact that it was me throwing. There was no one fishing within 500 yards of us, but man every tent for a mile or so was open and looking in our direction. We packed up and headed home - nary a word was said for an hour.

About 4 years later, we are fishing at North Buck Lake. We had to walk on the lake since I didn't have a quad yet and the snowmobile was getting some repairs. My father in law (now my actual father in law) said he would take care of lunch, snacks, etc. (he hated how I would bring Tim Horton's and such - always complained but ate most of the doughnuts). We walked on the lake, pulling all of our gear and he says "ooops, I forgot lunch in the truck". Neither me nor my brother in law wanted to walk back so all we had for 7 or so hours (not to mention no breakfast) was some coffee and water. We were starving - I mean eat the south end out of a northbound skunk hungry. He kept us out there right until dark and then suggested we pick up some drinks in boyle and have a sandwich. Right at the stop sign to head into Boyle, he heads south saying he forgot he actually has pop. We will pull over at that little trout pond and get a drink. "In the meantime", he says without a trace of insincerity, "here are some sandwiches. You must be starved."

Now it is very dark out, we are on the highway without even the lights of the town and I have sandwich in hand. Normally they are canned whitefish or moose or sometimes beef, but all of my mother-in-laws sandwiches have a lot of butter, mayonnaise and mustard. I take the first bite of this sandwich and don't even chew it. Right to the gullet. The second bite is chewed a little and I say to myself "sheesh, ease of the mayo. . .", but keep eating. The third bite is in my mouth when my brother-in-law utters the words that I can still hear in my head, "Ross. . .drop that sandwich." By now my father, who had been holding it together since that morning and scheming for 4 years, is crying he is laughing so hard. We pull into that little senior's trout pond and the lights come on allowing the full revelation that I have now consumed a chunk of vile head cheese. . .

It took us another 5 years to scheme how to get him back, but suffice to say (and my fingers are tired) the ball is in his court now.

Sorry for the long winded post.

Cheers.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:12 PM
Banned

I only tried black bear once and never again! I must have cut a bad piece off but it tasted like rancid fat.

But the worst ever........One year I caught a 30 or so pound channel cat and I decided to try eating the fillets. I was outside the house when my wife was cooking it and I could smell it. My wife emerged from the house every so often gasping for air. I figured that it might just smell bad but taste okay so I gave it a try. The first piece was in my mouth for about 3 seconds and back on the plate. If death had a taste then this would be it!

I had some pretty interesting meat in Cambodia but I have no idea what it was or how long it'd been hanging unrefridgerated...GAG!
Old 01-18-2010, 05:37 PM

Ruffed Grouse (or as a friend says "Grouse is gross") and muskrat. Suprised to see antelope and the big pigs on this list though.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:08 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Ruffed Grouse
Really? That's one of my absolute favourites.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:22 PM

I had some sandhill crane when I lived in Sask. May as well have roasted it in a tractor tube with a rock, and when serving it up, slice the tube and rock and fire the bird out!!! Most vile & tough piece meat that I have ever tried, next to coot>
Old 01-18-2010, 06:49 PM

Ruffies that have been eating some type of white berry, musk ox, walrus, some very bad elk meat that was given to us , some of the diving ducks, a canada goose that came in from a well site pond -- smelled like gas and tasted the same, ---- worst looking was a moose badly infested with liver fluke worms meat looked like tapioca
Old 01-18-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Okay, you have to try this. Soak the breasts in salt water for a full 24 hours. Then cut into bite-sized pieces. Dredge pieces in egg/milk and coat in Shake and Bake. Slow fry in butter until outside is brown and cripy and enjoy. I'll guarantee you'll change your thoughts on the lowly spruce hen. Works great for ptarmigan as well.
Hmm, might have to try that. I still won't go out of my way to fill my limit, especially with ruffies around, lol.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracker View Post
Ruffed Grouse (or as a friend says "Grouse is gross") and muskrat. Suprised to see antelope and the big pigs on this list though.
tracker has some weird taste buds!
Old 01-18-2010, 07:59 PM

Normally I tend to be an "eatatarian" (eat anything). But I will probably never eat a Wendys Baconator again!!