Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-14-2010, 11:15 PM

Default cuddeback Trail cams

Does anyone have a Cuddeback or have experience using them? I didn't get my Xmas wish, so now its a Bday wish. From my research, these have the fastest trigger speed?

any and all thoughts are welcome
Dan
Old 01-14-2010, 11:18 PM

Through research and talking to people I've found that Reconyx cameras have faster trigger speeds than Cuddebacks but be prepared to spend a few hundred more $$$.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:26 PM

I am running 5 Cuddebacks. 1 No Flash, 3 Capture IRs, and 1 Capture.
Yes Cuddebacks do have higher trigger speeds than most cameras out there. There are faster ones, but they will cost you a pretty dollar. They are also very simple to use and setup.
I have 5 home built cameras that have as fast or faster trigger speeds than the Cuddebacks. I have one Stealth Cam that much slower than the Cuddebacks but nowhere as slow as my Bushnell. It's actually pathetic.
On a side note I remember reading about a lawsuit Cuddeback is involved in saying certain brands were slow when they really arent.

If you have any other Cuddeback questions I'm sure I can answer them for you.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 01-14-2010, 11:49 PM

rockymtnx idd you make the home made cams your self ?
Old 01-14-2010, 11:56 PM

If you had a choice would you buy cuddebacks again?
That is the way I am leaning as well, and Agreed the bushnell is pure junk! Get a leg here, arse there. crazy. Which model cuddeback do you like best?
Dan
Old 01-15-2010, 12:05 AM

Default cameras

My wife and I own 7 cameras:
1 stealth good pictures didnt like the cold @-20
1 moultrie excellent pictures good trigger speed warm weather 3 months battery life at 1000 pictures high res.
2 wildgame innovations 100 dollar cameras, medium pictures fast trigger burst pictures two day battery life at 300 pictures
1 bushnell slow trigger speed died after 9 months definately dont like cold weather
2 wild views 80.00 cameras decent pictures one u have to mount upside down to get pictures or put on base of tree to get a deers head and shoulders the other one about 1 foot off ground.

out of the 7 would buy the moultrie again and save my money for them. Next would be wild game innovations if I had solar panel and batery packs, hard on batteries. Hope that helps. Never tried cuddeback I'm stickin with moultrie 3 yr old camera takes pictures at -30 15 days straight no failure hard to beat.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorzedge View Post
My wife and I own 7 cameras:
1 stealth good pictures didnt like the cold @-20
1 moultrie excellent pictures good trigger speed warm weather 3 months battery life at 1000 pictures high res.
2 wildgame innovations 100 dollar cameras, medium pictures fast trigger burst pictures two day battery life at 300 pictures
1 bushnell slow trigger speed died after 9 months definately dont like cold weather
2 wild views 80.00 cameras decent pictures one u have to mount upside down to get pictures or put on base of tree to get a deers head and shoulders the other one about 1 foot off ground.

out of the 7 would buy the moultrie again and save my money for them. Next would be wild game innovations if I had solar panel and batery packs, hard on batteries. Hope that helps. Never tried cuddeback I'm stickin with moultrie 3 yr old camera takes pictures at -30 15 days straight no failure hard to beat.
Hi Pred,
What Moultrie do you have?
Thanks MM
Old 01-15-2010, 07:21 AM

Default cudde's

I have a dozen cuddebacks and are very happy with them. Quick enough trigger speed and work great in the cold too. Long battery life also. I have a capture, couple of excite,s, one no-flash ( don't like pics taken with the no-flash) and the rest are the C-1000's and 3000's. Very easy to use and not too hard on the pocketbook either.

Last edited by boonie; 01-15-2010 at 07:26 AM. Reason: more info added
Old 01-15-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-ROC2 View Post
rockymtnx idd you make the home made cams your self ?
Yes all of them were built by myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Boone View Post
If you had a choice would you buy cuddebacks again?
That is the way I am leaning as well, and Agreed the bushnell is pure junk! Get a leg here, arse there. crazy. Which model cuddeback do you like best?
Dan
Yes I would have no problem buying or recommending a Cuddeback again. The No Flash takes great night time pics and day time ones are average. The Capture IR takes great day time pics, not as good night time pics as the No Flash. The regular Capture takes nice pics day and night but not as good as some high end cameras. Both Capture models are the easiest to use out of any of my cameras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonie View Post
I have a dozen cuddebacks and are very happy with them. Quick enough trigger speed and work great in the cold too. Long battery life also. I have a capture, couple of excite,s, one no-flash ( don't like pics taken with the no-flash) and the rest are the C-1000's and 3000's. Very easy to use and not too hard on the pocketbook either.
That’s funny. The pics my No Flash takes are average quality. Remember its only a 3.0 megapixel camera.

If anyone wants to spend a little more money on a good quality fast camera. I would be buying a Treebark Camera. These cameras I would rate top notch.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 01-15-2010, 10:59 AM

i just bought a bushnell trophy cam about a month ago, the one that uses aa batteries. it was out in the -35 weather and worked fine, no blank photos from slow trigger speed. at $250 it is a good deal i think. hard to build your own IR flash model for that price. i have a regular flash moultrie and have noticed that i get 1 or 2 pics of certain deer then they seem to "disappear", personally i believe the flash at night scares them enough to make em use a different trail.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:17 AM

I'm with Rocky on this one. Make your own. I have at least a dozen of them. I use 2 lithium AA batteries and my record is over 800 pics on the 2 AA batteries. Most of the time I only get 500+ on the 2 batteries. It is fun to build once you figure them out. Cost is not that high to make.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:30 PM

Default cameras

Hey there mountain mike we have the I-40 moultrue. The difference in megapixel an cost of the I-60 are the only things upgraded from the I-40.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:52 PM

Hey pred,
So you do like the Moultrie I-40 hey! I have a moultrie already but the screen is broken on it. You have any such troubles?
I believe I am going with the Cuddebacks, and maybe try 1 moultrie as when my moultrie worked it took good pics and trigger speed was ok too.

Thanks so much guys, and I have another question about the bushnell trophy, I am hearing good things. Anyone else have any thoughts on this particular bushnell?
Dan
Old 01-16-2010, 06:47 PM

Default cameras

Ya Im now stuck on moultrie works great for me and great night time pics to. I havent had nothin break on it at all. I havent had the pleasure of trying the cuddeback yet but I just tried so many that now that I have one I really like I dont wanna buy nothin else lol. If they ever sold them around here I probably would tryem' sooner but they dont.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:18 AM

Hey guys anyone useing or have any experience with teh bushnell trophy cam?
Thinking of buying one to try it, but if it's no better than the one I have now I am wasting my money. Big time
Dan