Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-10-2010, 12:02 AM

Default GPS collar trackers for dogs - opinions

I would like the opinion of those who hunt with dogs about using GPS collars. I have two Beagle pups and will be hare hunting with them eventually. I wonder whether this is a worthy investment or not.

It appears that Garmin makes a gps unit called the Astro along with a collar for $600 and second collar would be $200, so $800 in total. Anyone know where these collars or other makes can be found in store locally (Edmonton)?
Old 01-10-2010, 08:30 AM
Amy

Default GPS Dog Collars in Canada

The Garman Astro unit is not allowed for use in Canada.It uses both GPS and radio freq. technology. Both the hand held unit and the collar recieve their location from Sat. but they communicate with each other by using one of 5 different radio freq.The problem is these radio freq. are free in USA but you need to buy a licence in Canada.Even if you wanted to buy a licence they would not sell you one because the Astro is not an approved product tested in Canada
Google Garman Astro in Canada and i'm sure some info will pop up
Old 01-10-2010, 08:39 AM
Banned

I don't have one.

They do operate on GPS and radio signal and I would we a little leary of them working in the heavy cover of rabbit hunts. I would walk around and see what the signal was like on a hand held GPS unit where the dogs would be running.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:42 AM

You may want to see if you can find a surplus animal collar. My mutt's brother was doing some wandering while he was up north... His "dad" was a wildlife biologist, and tracked him down. These units might appear on the surplus market...
Old 01-10-2010, 09:31 AM

myself and my father both have beagles and i was looking to buy thoes collars for them. but i guess it is true they are not legal in canada.its too bad.

i visit a rabbit hunting forum like this one but its mostly americans on there and they absolutly love the new gps garmin collars. you can actually watch ur dog work the rabbit right on ur gps. i think it would make for a awesome training tool.

plus not to mention it would be nice if they ever decied to start a deer chase

not sure if i am allowed to post links to other forums on here so i will pm the site to you. it is a really good rabbit hunting forum anyone can learn alot of this site.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:54 PM

Lots of cat outfitters use them. But it's a "hound recovery system" not a hunting tool
Old 01-11-2010, 05:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Lots of cat outfitters use them. But it's a "hound recovery system" not a hunting tool
The ones ive seen cat hunters using are not gps they just have a transmitter(something like a two way radio) and in rough terain they can be tough to pick up transmisions. Im sure on rabbit dogs they would work great.
SG
Old 01-11-2010, 07:20 PM

My hunting buddy runs one on his Brit and loves it makes him feel more relaxed about haven a family member out in the field kinda neat garmin has improved the antenna. The first modle that went strait up of the back did not deal well with fences. The recievers for cougar hounds are virtually indistructable and work well!!! The again are only used for recovery not the hunt.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:43 PM

No, this isn't the old Telemetry. Getting out of the truck at a high spot and wave the antennae around waiting for a beep. It's a gps system with a display screen in your rig, that will track each dog by name, and tell you when they tree. Would work awesome for rabbit hounds.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
No, this isn't the old Telemetry. Getting out of the truck at a high spot and wave the antennae around waiting for a beep. It's a gps system with a display screen in your rig, that will track each dog by name, and tell you when they tree. Would work awesome for rabbit hounds.
sounds cool just never seen any of the guys that ive been with use them.
I could see how they would be good but can also see where they wouldnt allow them.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:52 PM
Banned

The units track the dog on GPS satellite and send the information from the dog to the handheld unit by radio transmission. In rough, mountainous terrain I suspect it would lose radio signal pretty easy and then loose track of where the dogs were. Don't know though because I haven't used one there. They certainly do not have the range of the telemetry equipment from any reviews I have seen.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:31 AM

I have no personal experience with them other than the guy I work for loves them. He runs coon dogs in hunts from Ohio to Texas & swears by them. Altho I think his main priority is finding his treed dog quicker to get it on the next trail. He has also found that finding an easier route to retrieve his dog is an added plus to the collars.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:44 AM

The beaglers I know that have them think they are great. They are very accurate and don't seem to have problems finding satellites. The range is not as good as the older style trackers but good enough for rabbit hounds. Some dealers will ship to Canada , you just have to find the right one.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:03 PM

The Garmin astro is an awesome tool to use for dog training. Although technically illegal in Canada i know several people who use them on a regular basis. The pro trainer I worked with this summer in Southern Alberta used one extensivly. Very useful tool, they tell you where exactly your dog is eg. 423 yards to the NW. It also is like a gps in that is will track your dogs every step. It will tell you have many Km's your dog has run and what his average rate of speed is. I put my 6 month setter pup on the ground on the praire one morning and the Pro trainer asked if I would like the garmin. I declined cause she was just a pup and probaly wouldn't run far. Well...... 5 hours later a local farmer found her and brought her back. Since then I have been saving for a unit for myself. If you are interested in purchasing one there are retailers in the states that will sell you one on the down low. If you are interested please Pm me and I can give you the info. cheers SM
Old 01-12-2010, 03:12 PM

that would be awesome to get the gps collar set up for our 2 beagles. we havent had any trouble yet with our dogs not listening or running off on game.

but it only takes one time and they could be gone forever and my little girl would be devastated if her dog was gone. my dog is a pet first. hunting dog second.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:29 PM

I never turn a dog loose without a tracking collar. I also lend one to any one that I hunt or train with. The Garmin's do have a couple of draw backs.
They are tough on batteries. My tracking collar batteries will last 10 000 hours so i know it is always on. I know that Garmins are good for 1 maybe 2 days.
They also have had a hard time acquiring signal in rough terrian and would lose signal. I will say that in some rough terrian I have a hard time. The garmin is easrier to use then the system I have but I know how my gear works use it all the time.

MJ
Old 01-12-2010, 09:41 PM

Eric I use a 4 dog garmin system on my cougar dogs and it is the best money ive ever spent. the range can sometimes be trouble but i also run telemetry collars at the same time. i do not know allot about running begles but dont think you will have any problem with the range(never heard of rabbit running that far)feel free to give me a call if you have any questions 403 710 1544 ken
Old 01-20-2010, 11:04 PM

Default thanks for all the info!!

Thanks everyone for the info.

I don't anticipate being in rough terrain with them, so it should work well. I have little interest in cat hunts, though I imagine they could be fun with or without hounds. In any event, I think this might be a good investment for hound recovery/peace of mind.