Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-25-2018, 04:36 PM

Default Canadian Tire Knife Regulations

My wife and I were in Cdn Tire southside Lethbridge store last Friday, looking for a knife gift for our grandson, who recently passed his hunter training course. I was looking at the knives, all of which are behind locked glass doors. Seamed strange to lock up knives, so walked to adjacent isle and there were over a hundred kitchen knives all just there --- on public display--- without being locked up? Next isle had construction/carpenter knives, all just being displayed also??? I noticed right there two Canadian Tire "Suits" trying to sell Cdn Tire credit cards, so I approached them, they looked important with their suits on and big Cdn Tire badges on the front. i asked the one fellow why the "hunting knives" are locked up and all other knives are not?? He told me that was because the "hunting knives" are SHARPER than the kitchen knives. He told me they were very very dangerous, because they are so sharp. I asked why the kitchen knives weren't sharp, ... he told me they didn't need to be, only hunting knives needed to be sharp.. i asked if he had ever hunted.. to which he blatantly answered NO.. I looked at him, and said " well i am a hunter" and now i rest my case.. and just walked away shaking my head.
I am glad i didn't ask why the guns were behind locked glass cases.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:38 PM
Banned

Every store I've been to hunting knives have always been locked up. So what's your point?
Old 03-25-2018, 04:41 PM

every single store ive been to in my life all hunting knives, swords, make believe land styled weapons have been locked up
Old 03-25-2018, 04:41 PM

Regardless of what he said, I suspect it has more to do with theft than the sharpness of the knife.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:42 PM

The point is that hunting knives need to be locked up according to these reps, but no other knife in the place is locked up. I highly doubt that all of the 'unlocked' knives aren't sharp enough to serve their intended purpose which is to cut.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:45 PM

Because you can't fix STUPID! All is said!
Old 03-25-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicktricker View Post
Every store I've been to hunting knives have always been locked up. So what's your point?
The point is..... you missed the point.... forget get it and have a nice day...
Old 03-25-2018, 04:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleup View Post
My wife and I were in Cdn Tire southside Lethbridge store last Friday, looking for a knife gift for our grandson, who recently passed his hunter training course. I was looking at the knives, all of which are behind locked glass doors. Seamed strange to lock up knives, so walked to adjacent isle and there were over a hundred kitchen knives all just there --- on public display--- without being locked up? Next isle had construction/carpenter knives, all just being displayed also??? I noticed right there two Canadian Tire "Suits" trying to sell Cdn Tire credit cards, so I approached them, they looked important with their suits on and big Cdn Tire badges on the front. i asked the one fellow why the "hunting knives" are locked up and all other knives are not?? He told me that was because the "hunting knives" are SHARPER than the kitchen knives. He told me they were very very dangerous, because they are so sharp. I asked why the kitchen knives weren't sharp, ... he told me they didn't need to be, only hunting knives needed to be sharp.. i asked if he had ever hunted.. to which he blatantly answered NO.. I looked at him, and said " well i am a hunter" and now i rest my case.. and just walked away shaking my head.
Suuurre they said that! I sincerely doubt anyone said that the sporting knives are sharper than razor sharp knives that are in butchers blocks for sale. The sole reason they are locked up is due to theft- end of story. I think you are trying to stir the pot.

In the time it took you to talk to the people as you claimed to, you could have asked one of the kids working in sporting goods to open the case for you. They would have gladly obliged.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:49 PM

It’s probably because people would steal a hunting knife over any other knife they carry. My eyes it’s dumb and I agree that they should just be on the shelf but it probably hurts peoples feelings.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
x2 agreed and most places in the states "I have been" are behind the counter in cases NOTHING NEW
Old 03-25-2018, 04:54 PM

Electric shavers and two way radios are also under lock and key.

Some stores have started keeping laptop computers locked up too. I think they are starting to understand how dangerous they could be in the hands of a hacker.

All joking aside, Can. Tire has stepped up a bit with quality of brands they carry. A $150 folding knife would fit in someones pocket easier than a $50 12" chefs knife.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:54 PM

Businesses only care about their bottom line, nothing more and nothing less.

If stuff like this ****es you off, then vote with your wallet and don’t shop there. Let a manger know what you’re doing and why or write a physical letter to corporate, don’t abuse the minimum wage drones on the floor who only care about how much time is left until they go home. Complaining on the internet is also pretty pointless

If they see that a particular policy is costing them sales, they are more likely to reconsider it.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:16 PM

Thumbs up This ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post

Regardless of what he said, I suspect it has more to do with theft than the sharpness of the knife.

True ^

Hunting knives and pocket knives have always been a high theft risk.

Any retailer who doesn't keep them locked up is just asking for it!

Selkirk
Old 03-25-2018, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Did you count the fingers on his hands? Any decent cook knows that sharp kitchen knives are safer than dull ones.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Behind glass and locked up because they are easier to steal and more desirable to steal. Gang bangers like pocket knives and boot knives and easy open knives but it is not cool to be seen with a kitchen knife or a butter knife.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:07 PM

I honestly believe it has to do with theft, a kitchen knife at Canadian Tire is not a lucrative target. If they were selling two hundred dollar kitchen knives I believe they would be locked up as well.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-25-2018, 06:49 PM
Banned

I would think if one were old enough to have a grandson and was a hunter themselves, that they would already have known that these knives are locked up in every store that has them, not just Canadian Tire.

Walmart
Cabelas
Former hunting/ fishing store Wholesale sports.

Common sense indicates that these are "targeted" by thieves and like anything else get " locked" in a matter to help deter theft.

There is also high-end tools and kitchen knives locked up too.

Also I didn't know that those who creep around CDN tire trying to get you to sign up for their credit cards are the over all authority in the store.

Also individual stores are able to do what they can to diminish " shrinkage"
And will put in place what they can to deter these thefts.
Like locking something up.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:12 PM

Tuff crowd. Lol, I agree it’s for theft.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:27 PM

I guess that's why most stabbings are done with kitchen knives they're easier to steal.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:35 PM

BS troll post plain & simple !
Old 03-25-2018, 07:40 PM

Quote:
I think he was imply the theft of knives from the hunting section is more prevalent ...
Without saying it and everything.
Not that I am putting words in his mouth.
Rob
Old 03-25-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
The point is..... you missed the point.... forget get it and have a nice day...
x2
Old 03-25-2018, 07:50 PM

[QUOTE=ETOWNCANUCK;3758856]I would think if one were old enough to have a grandson and was a hunter themselves, that they would already have known that these knives are locked up in every store that has them, not just Canadian Tire.

Walmart
Cabelas
Former hunting/ fishing store Wholesale sports.

Common sense indicates that these are "targeted" by thieves and like anything else get " locked" in a matter to help deter theft.

thats what i was thinking...

mack
Old 03-25-2018, 08:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ya, them huntin knifes are way sharper than the olfa's two isles over, like I've said in my previous posts, people are just getting stupider, this validates that. Being in the trades, you have to have common sense, be resourceful, and resilient. Seems the metro types couldn't differenciate between their ass and a hole in the ground if their lives depended on it. Hunting knives are sharper, sorry, but they ain't carrying falknivens, or anything else with good steel, Id wager 1/2 wouldn't cut a piece of dog crap from Cambodian tire.
Save your money, warriors and wonders, camouflage in Vancouver, bushcraft Canada in kelowna, way better places to buy a knife than crappy tire.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
Ya, them huntin knifes are way sharper than the olfa's two isles over, like I've said in my previous posts, people are just getting stupider, this validates that. Being in the trades, you have to have common sense, be resourceful, and resilient. Seems the metro types couldn't differenciate between their ass and a hole in the ground if their lives depended on it. Hunting knives are sharper, sorry, but they ain't carrying falknivens, or anything else with good steel, Id wager 1/2 wouldn't cut a piece of dog crap from Cambodian tire.
Save your money, warriors and wonders, camouflage in Vancouver, bushcraft Canada in kelowna, way better places to buy a knife than crappy tire.
You do realize this is a BS troll thread right? Pretty much every sporting goods store has their knives behind glass. No different than the disc batteries, higher end reels, some tools, some power tools, trail cameras, binoculars, other optics, etc etc etc that are easy to steal and in demand that Canadian Tire has behind glass to prevent theft.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:56 PM

Some of you guys need to read SNS2 last post on the Gerald Stanley thread, This was not a troll post, was meant to bring attention to the knowledge of a Cdn Tire sr. person, re knifes. Most of you missed it, some didn't . I am out.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:15 PM

Many times while entering a Can Tire store I have been engaged by the Canadian Tire Credit Card pushers. I got the impression that they were not regular staff but worked for the company pushing the cards.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
Many times while entering a Can Tire store I have been engaged by the Canadian Tire Credit Card pushers. I got the impression that they were not regular staff but worked for the company pushing the cards.
You are right, they are not store employees they are employed by CT Optimum MasterCard. That's why this thread and the story that went with it is so preposterous, what sane individual would walk up to a person who doesn't even work at the store or for the store and start inquiring as to the stores display policies for products that garner sticky fingers and are thusly displayed behind glass to prevent theft.

This story is akin to someone stopping and asking a credit card salesperson at the Edmonton International airport why you can't take a box cutter on your flight.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Some of you guys need to read SNS2 last post on the Gerald Stanley thread, This was not a troll post, was meant to bring attention to the knowledge of a Cdn Tire sr. person, re knifes. Most of you missed it, some didn't . I am out.
But you didn't talk to a Cdn Tire Sr. person.

Had you, you would have been told pretty much what everyone here has told you.

You asked a question and got a stupid answer.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:49 PM

what you really wanted was attention to yourself.
Could a week go by without someone having a one on one with a store clerk?
not one conversation is ever even close to being realistic.