Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-20-2011, 02:17 PM

Default the ever elusive wabuman walleye

Alright somebody please elaborate and tell the truth now have ya ever caught a Walter in wabuman
Old 12-20-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscosta View Post
Alright somebody please elaborate and tell the truth now have ya ever caught a Walter in wabuman
yup and that was before they even put more in .
Old 12-20-2011, 02:35 PM

couple small walleye follow my lure few years ago but would not bite
Old 12-20-2011, 03:35 PM

I caught one in the end of august this year. surprised the hell out of me. in the 2-3lb range.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=103304
Old 12-20-2011, 03:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinggeek View Post
I caught one in the end of august this year. surprised the hell out of me. in the 2-3lb range.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=103304
Thats gotta be photoshopped.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:52 PM

You're asking fishermen to tell the truth??
Old 12-20-2011, 04:05 PM

The planted Walleye’s were taken from the Genesee power plant cooling pond. Don’t think they caught as many as they had hoped for. They screwed up the whitefish at Pigeon putting in walleye I expect it will happen there too if they fill it up with them.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:07 PM

the walleye were taken from lac st.anne and lake isle....and there are plenty of whites at pigeon.Just have to fish them differently....
Quote:
Originally Posted by elk junkie View Post
The planted Walleye’s were taken from the Genesee power plant cooling pond. Don’t think they caught as many as they had hoped for. They screwed up the whitefish at Pigeon putting in walleye I expect it will happen there too if they fill it up with them.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:

I caught one about four years ago. And the pike in wabamun will not let the walleye get out of control.

Old 12-20-2011, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Your information is incorrect , Those Walleye came out of Lake Isle and Lac Saint Ann , as for pigeon lake that to is wrong , as for the whites in Wabamun cant keep them anyway .
Old 12-20-2011, 04:21 PM

You are right some of the walleye came from Lac St Anne and Isle however some also came from Genesee. I should know I work there. I also live 5 miles from Pigeon and I guess it would be a debate on if that lake was screwed up. Having fished it all my life it is my opinion that it was.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:07 PM

Quote:
That's why the walleye are on the smaller size at pigeon...it's because there's to many whitefish eating all the food and are mainly fished in the winter time. Its the same thing happening at calling lake, to many whitefish. 5-7 years ago u could go to calling lake and get 20 walleye over 5lbs in a day... Now u can forget about that. Im going to be helping my buddy who has a commercial license net pigeon this year starting in january.... Only for whitefish. Can't wait.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Pike Man View Post
That's why the walleye are on the smaller size at pigeon...it's because there's to many whitefish eating all the food and are mainly fished in the winter time. Its the same thing happening at calling lake, to many whitefish. 5-7 years ago u could go to calling lake and get 20 walleye over 5lbs in a day... Now u can forget about that. Im going to be helping my buddy who has a commercial license net pigeon this year starting in january.... Only for whitefish. Can't wait.
never heard that theory...... interesting........5 bagillion stunted walleye in a lake because theres too many whitefish.......(or is it because theres too many eyes?)
Old 12-21-2011, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
never heard that theory...... interesting........5 bagillion stunted walleye in a lake because theres too many whitefish.......(or is it because theres too many eyes?)
My 2 cents is it's both.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:26 AM

Love all the arm chair biologists on here...
Old 12-21-2011, 07:34 AM

medium sized walleye feed on whitefish and so does pike.
Besides if we only had walleye in some of these lakes it would surprise me to see some 10-12lbers being regularly pulled out.
Walleye are very resilient feeding on bugs/crustations, chasing minnows in very shallow water in the spring and taking advantage of the spawning whitefish in the fall.

This guy is from sylvan lake and he had a whitefish in his throat
Old 12-21-2011, 07:41 AM

^when i said only walleye i meant a lake without pike.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
I 'm sitting here with the people that commercial fish and they say i'm exactly right. So i'm just passing on the info they're telling me. There is not enough bait fish in alot of alberta lakes and alot of lakes are suffering because of the whitefish.

Last edited by Monster Pike Man; 12-21-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
Besides if we only had walleye in some of these lakes it would surprise me to see some 10-12lbers being regularly pulled out.
Walleye are very resilient feeding on bugs/crustations, chasing minnows in very shallow water in the spring and taking advantage of the spawning whitefish in the fall.

Theres not many pike left in pigeon like there used to be. I also dont see alot of the 3-4lb walleye taking down a alot of the whitefish that are in pigeon. Theres no perch left in pigeon because theres to many walleye. All im saying is pigeon is suffering. There,s a million walleyes in pigeon but 90 percent are around 2-4lbs. Must be a reason its been that way for years now
Old 12-21-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscosta View Post

back in the day many. sneaked under the fence at the out-take in the cover of darkness. we caught and released some good fish there. that was 20 some years ago though.

Dace
Old 12-21-2011, 12:54 PM

Never caught one but I did see a smaller Walleye (~2lb'er) last year while ice fishing. Sat there and watched my minnow and spoon for a few minutes and swam off.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
Your information is incorrect , Those Walleye came out of Lake Isle and Lac Saint Ann , as for pigeon lake that to is wrong , as for the whites in Wabamun cant keep them anyway .
i guess your info is incorrect.....again..... read post 7 on genesee thread.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:45 AM

Wabaman Walleye

Old 01-09-2013, 10:26 AM

Had one swim through my hole last Sunday. Probobly 2 or 3 lbs
Old 01-09-2013, 11:22 AM

Default Wab Eyes

I had a cabin on the lake for over 20 years, I personally have not caught a walleye, but I seen one that was spearfished. This was back a number of years 15-20. I was down at the Wab. Power plant fishing the open water for pike mid march and spotted a diver in the outlet channel that have an eye in his caught basket. I wieghted it (3.5 lbs). I even towed the diver up the channel with my boat, so he would not have to carry all his gear up the bank and to this truck. Also F&W planted 5 million fingerlings in the lake 20 years ago-ish. But I can't hook one (pike food).
Old 01-09-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post

Curious. How did u know this walleye had in its throat. Catch and release only
Old 01-09-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_fan View Post
Curious. How did u know this walleye had in its throat. Catch and release only
Open its mouth and look in, probably part of the tail sticking out...
Old 01-09-2013, 01:21 PM

I so agree that there is not enuff forage (shiners, perch etc) in a majority of Alberta Lakes hence in my humble opinion the fisheries and hatcheries should start planting perch in ALL the major lakes around Alberta instead of walleye...why in the world would you want to increase the population of a predator instead of providing their meals for them..plus in combination with outrageous limits from years ago (the 30 perch limit), its no wonder why we have a billion starvin, stunted walleye and pike and you can't catch a perch over 10 inches anywhere. Ridiculous!!! I wish the government would look at this in a realistic manner and start talking to the people like us out there in the field fishing for some truthful info.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:13 PM

You can see the tail sticking out. Its hard to miss when your removing your hook out of its jaw.
Old 01-09-2013, 03:51 PM

I 100% agree with keep6matt. There is an order of things as far as fish growth goes. What truely makes a trophy lake is cisco. With out this slot size of food pike/walleye cannot grow big enough to move up to whitefish hence leaving the smelts/shiners and perch for the smaller fish. If there's no cisco all fish are stuck eating smelts/shiners and perch. Remember when calling 1st opened and you could catch perch in 30 fow anywhere. I don't even see baitballs on my finder in the summer anymore. They can't figure out what happened to the cisco in calling. Apparently it's the toughest lake to manage in Alberta. A friend of mine who is a fish biologists believes it needs to be whiped out in order to rebuild itself. That why it will be 2 fish until they close it for another 6 yrs

Savage LTWT Hunter 111 - 6.5x284 Norma