Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-23-2010, 09:18 AM

This solution may seem to be too obvious, at least to me, but what about a draw for a late January, early February elk season in certain areas where the elk are causing the biggest problems??
Old 01-23-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clakjp View Post
Just like when you were a kid did your parents tell you THINK BEFORE YOU SPEAK? That applies to alot of people on here.They say stupid things just to make people mad or try to be cool.
........ and some people are dumb enough to take the bait .....
Old 01-23-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
Maybe you would like to help out people in other industries when they are out of work due to a poor economy? They get no help at all. They deal with it and get through. If need be they get another job.

Ranchers are needed but as the thread started if you loose your hay stack because you didnt wanna fence or protect your hay then thats to bad. Not my issue and not the elks fault. If someone lives in Elk country they have to be pro active to avoid loss but by doing nothing and expecting to be reinbursed or subsidised is just stupid why put up the hay at all just get the gov't to buy you some!!!!
Sheepguide - you misunderstand me. We ARE dealing with it. Perhaps you didn't read my entire comment - BOTH my husband and I have jobs OFF-ranch in order to survive and subsidize our operation. We do NOT rely on gov't handouts.

And, as to living in "Elk country"? Ten or twelve years ago, I saw the first elk I had ever seen around here. This year? Our neighbour and his children lost count at somewhere around 300 in their field. Apparently, someone changed this to "Elk country" when we weren't looking.

And don't we all, essentially, want to help one another? I, for one, pay into the EI fund through my meagre paycheque, but am not allowed to collect it because I am considered self-employed (as a rancher). Matters not that we have operated our ranch at a loss for the last few years, and could in no way make an actual living by ranching. I do not personally know any ranchers who do survive solely on their ranch "profits".

Do not think for a moment that I am not sympathetic to the plight of people who have lost their jobs in this economy. Although it does seem to me that the gov't has been bailing out a few big companies recently in an attempt to save the jobs of those people you mentioned.

You are right about one thing, though. This thread has digressed a long way from the original topic. I am still looking for answers to the problem of how to keep the elk away from the feed we put out for our animals every day.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdfish View Post
This solution may seem to be too obvious, at least to me, but what about a draw for a late January, early February elk season in certain areas where the elk are causing the biggest problems??
Thats what i was thinking, but they are not going to add this as a draw for one rancher. Ranchlady get the ranchers and farmers in your area to call F&W they have done this in WMU212.
my 2 cents
Old 01-23-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps73 View Post
Thats what i was thinking, but they are not going to add this as a draw for one rancher. Ranchlady get the ranchers and farmers in your area to call F&W they have done this in WMU212.
my 2 cents
Thanks, gramps73. Most of us actually have F&W on speed-dial, for all the good it does.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:10 AM

Ranchlady
Maybe try a different way in calling F&W, ask them about a late season cow elk draw and let them know they are doing in other areas in the province with success.
g