Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-18-2020, 09:39 AM

Default when to plant garlic?

when is the best time to plant garlic? I'm thinking mid september?
Old 09-18-2020, 09:43 AM

We have always planted from the 10th to 15th each year and had good luck. Depends on the weather though as they need a bit of a start before Winter hits. Looks like a couple good weeks left yet and maybe more so anytime now would work.
Old 09-18-2020, 10:22 AM

A week or so before the cold would be ideal. If you plant earlier and it starts growing, the new growth will be killed by the cold and it will start growing back next spring. If you plant late, it will start growing in the spring. In the two latter cases, it would be the same as planting in spring, which there is nothing wrong with.

This year, I planted mine in May because there was a chance of us moving and I didn’t want to plant it last fall in case we do. The garlic turned to be the best I had. Will post a pic when I get a chance.
Old 09-18-2020, 10:53 AM

Plant in the spring. The whole theory of over wintering a first planting had to have started somewhere but it really makes no sense. Only logical thing I can think of is that had no way to preserve the bulbs outside of being in the ground.
Old 09-18-2020, 11:16 AM

Can you just buy garlic at the grocery store and plant the bulbs? What are good kinds to plant?
Old 09-18-2020, 11:28 AM

i planted gloves I bought at the grocery store last fall and they grew well this year.

I left one plant in the ground and it flowered with a bunch of tiny bulbs in the flower. Has anyone tried to plant these?
Old 09-18-2020, 12:55 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Plant in the spring. The whole theory of over wintering a first planting had to have started somewhere but it really makes no sense.
No offense, but that is BS.
Fall planted garlic grows larger, is oilier and spicier than spring plantings.
Done both.
Only plant now in mid-October (Van Island).
The results are stellar:

Cheers,
Nog
Old 09-18-2020, 12:57 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigs View Post
... I left one plant in the ground and it flowered with a bunch of tiny bulbs in the flower. Has anyone tried to plant these?
Takes two years for the bulbils (tiny bulbs you describe) to produce full sized garlic. Discussed somewhat here: http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=384922

Cheers,
Nog
Old 09-18-2020, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Plant in the spring. The whole theory of over wintering a first planting had to have started somewhere but it really makes no sense. Only logical thing I can think of is that had no way to preserve the bulbs outside of being in the ground.
Not only what IronNoggin said, but also in spring you are risking growing undivided garlic. I have previously had harvest that was fully like that, every single one was like that. I have had a few like that this year as well. Will post pics later.
Old 09-18-2020, 01:21 PM

Part of my harvest. Spring garlic. Planted, if I recall correctly, end of April - beginning of May (can’t remember exactly). Harvested mid-August:

Of course, there were some “turds”:

You can see the undivided garlic in that box. Here is one up close:

Planting in spring, you are taking the risk to harvest lots of those.
Old 09-18-2020, 01:25 PM

Quite a few were of a really decent size (my hands aren’t small by any means, lol). Those undecided ones aren’t small either.

Old 09-18-2020, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNOutdoorsman View Post
Can you just buy garlic at the grocery store and plant the bulbs? What are good kinds to plant?
I am of the understanding that the garlic in the store is treated with something that prevents sprouting and was advised to buy from greenhouse/nursery stock.

That being said we have had store bought garlic sprout many times.
Old 09-18-2020, 01:38 PM

^ It does. You can buy “normal” garlic in a store and grow it. Most that is sold in stores though, the cheap kind, is garlic from China and it is not meant to be grown in our climate. It does grow though, my cousin gave it a try last year with a few gloves. Not the greatest harvest at all and he isn’t doing it again. The red Russian or other varieties will grow just fine. Or should grow just fine. Still costs an arm and a leg though.
Old 09-18-2020, 05:50 PM

I plant both fall and spring garlic. The stuff I plant in the fall is ready by mid July. The spring planting is basically sprouted garlic we've overwintered. It's usually ready by end Aug or beginning of Sep.
Old 09-18-2020, 08:29 PM

Talking

Quote:
when to plant garlic?

NEVER !
Stuff is the most Evil thing on the Planet !
Old 09-19-2020, 07:24 AM

I also plant double, end of Oct. and then very early spring for 2 crops. By the way we also do 2 to 3 crops of Dill by planting early and then mid summer.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 09-19-2020, 07:53 AM

I can fully understand planting in the spring but I am one of those people who have to know what I am planting and why. So I plant in the fall and grind up what ever I have left.
Old 09-19-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
No offense, but that is BS.
Fall planted garlic grows larger, is oilier and spicier than spring plantings.
Done both.
Only plant now in mid-October (Van Island).
The results are stellar:

Cheers,
Nog

Well I do take offence. . Not really.

You are on Vancouver Island, growing conditions are a whole bunch, pun intended, different than here in Edmonton. Fall planted here is just frozen in the ground over the winter. There is no growth till it thaws in the spring. Yes some bulbs aren't segmented, I don't see the problem as to me they taste the same. I have seen fall planted garlic that wasn't segmented either, and I have also seen a lot of bulbs that failed completely on fall planted stuff. Nice looking harvest of garlic!

Last edited by Dean2; 09-19-2020 at 10:52 AM.
Old 09-19-2020, 12:09 PM

Anyone tried grow in pots? I thought I’d try this fall. Maybe bury the pot before it freezes so in the spring I can dig it out and move it around to get better sun.
Old 09-19-2020, 12:12 PM

Or even start then inside in pots. Or do they need that freeze thaw thing?
Old 03-12-2023, 09:20 PM

I'm really wanting to try planting garlic. Sorry to bring up this old thread, its what I found when I searched growing garlic.
Where is a good place to buy seed garlic and what kinds should I try to plant in NW Calgary? I bought some bulbs a couple summers ago at a BC Farmers market by Vernon and they were the best tasting garlic I've ever had. Damned if I can remember the kind though, maybe Purple Russian.
Anyways, just wanting to know where to get my hand on some to try. thinking of planting asap in our greenhouse.

Thanks
Old 03-12-2023, 09:51 PM

Quote:
I'm really wanting to try planting garlic. Sorry to bring up this old thread, its what I found when I searched growing garlic.
Where is a good place to buy seed garlic and what kinds should I try to plant in NW Calgary? I bought some bulbs a couple summers ago at a BC Farmers market by Vernon and they were the best tasting garlic I've ever had. Damned if I can remember the kind though, maybe Purple Russian.
Anyways, just wanting to know where to get my hand on some to try. thinking of planting asap in our greenhouse.

Thanks
I've had great luck with MacKenzie brand onions, garlic, potatoes found in most peavey marts or any store that carries seeds of that sort. They have a few varieties. The Russian variety you speak of rings a bell. MacKenzie is a pretty generic brand however personally grown large gardens for 25 years now and tried them all and year in and year out MacKenzie brand onions potatoes and garlic have served me very well. Hope this helps you. Happy growing!
Old 03-13-2023, 12:32 AM

Quote:

Thanks
There is a local grower near me that grows a lot of garlic. Called the Sausage Lady. You can find her on Facebook. The family plants hardneck garlic and it has been acclimatize for our growing season. She does sell garlic for those that want to plant their own….and will give you plenty of advice/help if you need.

We bought a bunch of different varieties and based on her advice, planted it in the fall. Considering that they make a good living on this and other ventures, I’m going to follow her advice.

Also with hardneck garlic, I understand it stores over winter better. And you can harvest garlic scapes for eating…..which I’m really looking forward to trying.

China garlic is pure garbage. Do some research on it. Not very safe to use. And if you ever notice, does not last more than a few weeks in the cupboard before the bugs start coming out of it or it’s gone soft or to seed. Plus it barely tastes like real garlic.
Old 03-13-2023, 01:20 AM

Quote:
I'm really wanting…
Russian Red is what it is actually called, I believe, will do just fine. This is what you see in the photos in my posts above.

There is a farm in Calgary area that I saw having some great garlic for sale. Can’t recall the name… Saskatoon Farm, maybe? It was actually Okotoks area, not specifically Calgary. Last fall, they had some great bulbs of Red Russian and they weren’t that expensive either, compared to what I see in stores for good garlic.

Hope that helps.
Old 03-13-2023, 03:31 AM

Get your garlic from Fifth Gen Farms. An AO member runs this garlic farm. A few different garlic products you can order too. Excellent garlic and service. They harvest 70K garlic plants or more per season.

https://www.fifthgengardens.ca/
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 03-13-2023, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Get your garlic from Fifth Gen Farms. An AO member runs this garlic farm. A few different garlic products you can order too. Excellent garlic and service. They harvest 70K garlic plants or more per season.

https://www.fifthgengardens.ca/
X2 you won't get better garlic than here

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 03-13-2023, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Wrong, for Alberta and hardneck garlic especially. California you can plant softneck in the spring. You want to have root growth start but no top growth. It's different every fall you just have to take your best guess depending on forecast for the fall. Last fall I planted 3 weeks later than the prior fall. West central Alberta
Old 03-13-2023, 08:07 AM

Quote:

Thanks
Russian red is very popular and Ukrainian chesnok is also. I get my hardneck seed bulbs mail-order from Johnboy farm's in Manitoba every summer/ fall. The varieties they sell are suited to our climate.
Old 03-13-2023, 08:17 AM

I know people that plant in spring and some that plant in the fall, my BIL up by Minburn always plants his in the fall but the guy I get my cucumbers and dill and garlic from for pickles always plants in the spring, both have great garlic, maybe depends on the brand. I know the BIL loves Russian Red.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 03-13-2023, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
I know people that plant in spring and some that plant in the fall, my BIL up by Minburn always plants his in the fall but the guy I get my cucumbers and dill and garlic from for pickles always plants in the spring, both have great garlic, maybe depends on the brand. I know the BIL loves Russian Red.
It seems like the times that I've put in spring garlic I've had it grow into one large clove, vs. being segmented into multiple cloves for fall planted.