Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-07-2020, 11:29 PM

Default Strange Foods & Beverages Unique to Your Family

I was in the kitchen and I noticed Mrs Caber had some clove out for some pickling she was getting up to. The clove reminded me that I recently bought some Tang for a gag photo and that I should re-create a hot drink that my Mom used to make when I was a kid. Back in the 70's and early 80's, there used to be an instant tea powder from Nestea; it was just plain powdered instant tea with no sugar, not iced tea. Anyways, Mom used to mix the Nestea powder with Tang and some ground clove and serve that up hot. I'll have to ask her to confirm, but I suspect the concoction resulted from her having grown up in Churchill, Manitoba and being creative with the ingredients available to them. I'm currently sipping on a mug of it right now, though my cloves are whole.

What are your unique foods and drinks that bring you back to childhood?

This kind of also brings up the subject of food products that used to be common in everyone's cupboards years ago, but aren't these days. I hadn't bought Tang for ages. People can vote that weren't even born the last time I bought Tang.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 09-07-2020 at 11:54 PM.
Old 09-07-2020, 11:45 PM

Grandma and Mom make what they called noodles. It was actually bread dough that you would roll into tiny loaves about the size of your thumb. Then immediately freeze them before they could rise. On a later date you taken them out of the freezer and immediately throw them into an electric frying pan with lard and sauerkraut. Cover and cook 20ish minutes till the bottom was browned nicely. Usually served with fried potatoes and garlic sausage.
Old 09-08-2020, 06:42 AM

My mom used to make us ketchup, relish and bologna sandwiches for our school lunches. They were terrible and to this day the thought of them makes me laugh. Knew better than to complain though. Maybe it was a product of her having grown up with little money in the 50s and I’m sure others have eaten the same. I like the sound of those crazy noodles.
Old 09-08-2020, 07:28 AM

Toast with peanut butter, tomato slices and pepper. I still enjoy it to this day.

Colin
Old 09-08-2020, 07:36 AM

The wife likes cottage cheese with chopped smoked oysters, not my deal eck
Old 09-08-2020, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry.S View Post
My mom used to make us ketchup, relish and bologna sandwiches for our school lunches. They were terrible and to this day the thought of them makes me laugh. Knew better than to complain though. Maybe it was a product of her having grown up with little money in the 50s and I’m sure others have eaten the same. I like the sound of those crazy noodles.
Mom used to make us a similar Sandwich filling in the mid 60's that she put on Saltine Crackers and in our lunch.

It was called Monkey Meat
Put through the hand grinder.
Bologna, Dill Pickles, Ketchup and Miracle Whip
When we complained she told us we had a choice-Monkey Meat or Fried Farts and Onions
We would sigh and say. Monkey Meat

I distinctly remember one very horrifying day that she was low on Bologna and cut in some Smoked Goldeye

Last edited by omega50; 09-08-2020 at 08:07 AM.
Old 09-08-2020, 08:00 AM

Lechameen, that's my spelling, pronounced Leck-a-mean, a BC word. Basically the left over dough from fry bread, rolled into dumplings and dropped into whatever bone stock was on the go. Best lunch on a cool day from school.
Old 09-08-2020, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I was in the kitchen and I noticed Mrs Caber had some clove out for some pickling she was getting up to. The clove reminded me that I recently bought some Tang for a gag photo and that I should re-create a hot drink that my Mom used to make when I was a kid. Back in the 70's and early 80's, there used to be an instant tea powder from Nestea; it was just plain powdered instant tea with no sugar, not iced tea. Anyways, Mom used to mix the Nestea powder with Tang and some ground clove and serve that up hot. I'll have to ask her to confirm, but I suspect the concoction resulted from her having grown up in Churchill, Manitoba and being creative with the ingredients available to them. I'm currently sipping on a mug of it right now, though my cloves are whole.

What are your unique foods and drinks that bring you back to childhood?

This kind of also brings up the subject of food products that used to be common in everyone's cupboards years ago, but aren't these days. I hadn't bought Tang for ages. People can vote that weren't even born the last time I bought Tang.
Tang, you say ? Sticks in my mind as containing citric acid, recommended by Shell Bussey for cleaning jet tubs.

Grizz
Old 09-08-2020, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Back in the 70's and early 80's, there used to be an instant tea powder from Nestea; it was just plain powdered instant tea with no sugar, not iced tea. Anyways, Mom used to mix the Nestea powder with Tang and some ground clove and serve that up hot.
My mom used to make something similar, but her base was a can of Hawaiian Punch. She would float pineapple rings in it as well. Was great when it was hot, and we would drink it cold the next day as well.

I still remember having to fish out the cloves that missed the strainer.
Old 09-08-2020, 08:35 AM

Hawaiian Punch, there’s a product I’ve not heard of for quite a while. I’m sure we never had that at home, I can’t even recollect the taste of it.
Old 09-08-2020, 08:47 AM

In Winnipeg we had Milk Delivery back in the day. Occasionally we would rush home to find Beep in the pass through.
Score!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg beep.jpg (13.1 KB, 119 views)

Last edited by omega50; 09-08-2020 at 08:53 AM.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:02 AM

Chicken Hattie, (spelling?) mom made it in cream. Then served on toast with currie. Never understood why it was call Chicken because it was fish in a can, but it did say Chicken Hattie right on the can, I think? May not have been unusual for the eastern boys, but a funny dish for us western cowboys. ( mom was from back east.)
Old 09-08-2020, 09:43 AM

I actually got sent home from school in grade 6, none of my friends believed that we ate octopus (I'm half Japanese on dad's side, so we ate a lot of stuff like that). Anyways I took a baby octopus to school to show my friends, I proceeded to eat it while the teacher was watching. It grossed her out so bad she sent me home.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
Chicken Hattie, (spelling?) mom made it in cream. Then served on toast with currie. Never understood why it was call Chicken because it was fish in a can, but it did say Chicken Hattie right on the can, I think? May not have been unusual for the eastern boys, but a funny dish for us western cowboys. ( mom was from back east.)
We had that once a month always a favorite it's actually called chicken haddie I haven't seen it for years.
Old 09-08-2020, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Tang, you say ? Sticks in my mind as containing citric acid, recommended by Shell Bussey for cleaning jet tubs.

Grizz
LemiShine would be way less sticky for that task.... ahhh Shell..

I see you're almost at 20K there. Have you picked the color of your complimentary new truck yet?
Old 09-08-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
In Winnipeg we had Milk Delivery back in the day. Occasionally we would rush home to find Beep in the pass through.
Score!!!
Oh wow! I haven't seen that stuff in YEARS!
Old 09-08-2020, 11:46 AM

Hotdogs on toast with peanut butter. Gonna make that when I get home now.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 09-08-2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry.S View Post
I never got those but did have headcheese and horseradish sandwiches. I love both so I found them tasty. Not everybody did. Back when I was working HVAC at lunch nobody asked me if I wanted to swap half a sandwich if they heard what I was eating..........LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Hale View Post
I actually got sent home from school in grade 6, none of my friends believed that we ate octopus (I'm half Japanese on dad's side, so we ate a lot of stuff like that). Anyways I took a baby octopus to school to show my friends, I proceeded to eat it while the teacher was watching. It grossed her out so bad she sent me home.
Now I don't care who you are, that's funny!
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 09-08-2020, 04:02 PM

Bung Bologna cut as thick as needed and fried. That was our steak as kids (1958) enough teeth to chew. Blood Sausage or as my English born grandma would say Blood Pudding. For some reason I liked it. It was tasty. 1960 or so. Guess she new how to cook it. Made with garlic mashed taters and green beans an egg if you wanted. Always had the egg.
Old 09-08-2020, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
Score!!!

BEEP !!!!! My brother and I were raised on that stuff...I'm sure my mom left this world still not realizing that it was orange "drink" NOT orange juice lol!

Everyone had beep for breakfast!
Old 09-08-2020, 05:40 PM

My Opa made a thing they called Grits Wurst, pig brain, a little fat and barley. Man us kids loved that stuff fried. We ate lots of blood sausage as well.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-08-2020, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
My Opa made a thing they called Grits Wurst, pig brain, a little fat and barley. Man us kids loved that stuff fried. We ate lots of blood sausage as well.
Blutwurst, nein, danke. We still regard rouladen as the go to family gathering meal.

Grizz
Old 09-08-2020, 05:46 PM

My Granny used to fry potatoes and Knoephla, with pork hocks and saurkraut.

Dangit, now I have to stop in at Edelwiess....

Another one my mom made us eat all the time was tuna cassarole.
Old 09-08-2020, 05:54 PM

1. Brains... fryed. Without any side dish. Didn't have it so often, so when it was on the menu it was like a mini holiday.
2. Blood sausage. Still can buy it in Edmonton. Treat myself every now and then.
3. Bologna sandwiches. Piece of toast, fat piece of bologna, slice of onion, mayo on top, throw it into the oven, bake until toast us toasted and crunchy, and mayo browned.
4. I believe one of the names for that dish is spik (shpik, or, apparently, fatback). Traditional western Slavic dish (Ukraine, Belarus, maybe some others). Cured pork fat, no meat, or, literally, a sliver of it in the slab of fat. Run it through the meat grinder, mix with salt, pepper, maybe other spices, and bunch of garlic, and run through the grinder again. After that just spread it over a piece of rye toast.
Old 09-08-2020, 06:02 PM

Oh, and drinks. Coffee was kind of in the short supply in the USSR in late 80th, so stores had a coffee flavored drink out of chicory. As far as i remember it was not that bad
Old 09-08-2020, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak77 View Post
Oh, and drinks. Coffee was kind of in the short supply in the USSR in late 80th, so stores had a coffee flavored drink out of chicory. As far as i remember it was not that bad
Your mention of chicory gave me 1970's flashbacks of carob being used as a substitute for chocolate, what kind of monster would give a child carob?
Old 09-08-2020, 07:03 PM

That brick of frozen HIGHLINER haddock covered in mushroom soup and served over rice.🤢

To this day mushroom soup is not allowed in this house under penalty of eviction.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 09-08-2020, 07:06 PM

We ate a lot of Spork burgers. Have not had it since I moved out forty years ago.

Thomas Sowell
Old 09-08-2020, 07:09 PM

Default Slumgullion

My Mother use to make a dish she called Slumgullion. It was ground beef or moose hamburger, onion soup mix, diced onions, mushrooms, peppers, tomatoes with a sprinkling of cheese on top and served with cream corn and mashed potatoes. Loved it!! Still make it today!
Old 09-08-2020, 07:13 PM

Ate plenty of stuff similar to what has been posted. One of my favourites as a kid and now is French toast served with canned tomatoes for dipping and eating. Awesome meal!