Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-29-2020, 07:46 PM

Default York Factory Express

Has anyone ever come across any fairly detailed maps of the York Factory Express?

I was recently reading about York Factory and was somewhat amazed that it even existed as it did, let alone was used for over 200 years. The Express or Communication to and from it through Alberta seems to me as important history I wasn’t taught in grade school. (I would imagine the Express might have changed somewhat over time.)

Last edited by KinAlberta; 02-29-2020 at 07:52 PM.
Old 09-19-2020, 04:42 PM

Got my assumptions WAY, WAY wrong on the number of years the Express route was used as the Express. York Factory itself was used for centuries though and it still exists today!!!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/York...ry-Express.png

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/York_Factory_Express#

New book coming out soon (maybe) about the Express / the Communication by this author:

http://nancymargueriteanderson.com/
http://ronsdalepress.com/york-factory-express-the/
Old 09-19-2020, 05:05 PM

Although I have never used the resource, the Hudson's Bay Company archives are located in Winnipeg.
Might be worth a try if you want to delve into detailed info.
Old 09-19-2020, 05:34 PM

I think it's described in this book , the story of George Simpsons transcontinental trip, mostly by canoe. A good read if you're into that kind of stuff.

https://www.amazon.ca/Emperor-North-.../dp/B0055DLYHA

Grizz
Old 09-19-2020, 05:44 PM

Thank you for that!

Order placed! (Price of couple cups of coffee but I expect far more value.)
Old 11-07-2020, 10:44 PM

Got the book. Haven't cracked the cover.

Just heard on the radio a discussion about Simpson. A real tyrant that destroyed relations but profitable for the company.

Quote:

Canmore historian and author offers exhaustive history of the Hudson's Bay Company | Calgary Herald

As a writer and historian, Stephen R. Bown has had a habit of resurrecting historical figures or events that have faded from the public consciousness. ...”

“ “Whenever I talked to people, I realized they actually knew far less than what they thought they knew and what they thought they knew was actually inaccurate,” says Bown. “They knew what the company was, but they didn’t really have a sense of what it did and how pervasive it was throughout the culture of that time and, over the centuries, how it evolved and how different trade patterns emerged and the full extent to which it integrated itself into multiple Indigenous societies across the entire continent.”

So, not unlike his past books, Bown sees his exhaustive tome, The Company: The Rise and Fall of the Hudson’s Bay Empire, as a historical recovery mission of sorts. It’s a way to return the company’s history to the numerous colourful characters who contributed to it over the centuries and subsequently helped create modern Canada.

The sprawling tale begins in 1670 when...”

It’s unfortunate that the Hudson’s Bay Company ended this way, but Bown says the final years of its monopoly shouldn’t detract from its first 170 years of life.

“That view of the company being monopolizing and exploitive and cruel and generally evil in some ways, that’s not inaccurate but it’s not the whole story.”

https://calgaryherald.com/entertainm...ns-bay-company

This seems interesting but I don't know the rivers/regions:

To Moose Portage, Beaver River - NANCY MARGUERITE ANDERSON

http://nancymargueriteanderson.com/two-canoes-eight/

Last edited by KinAlberta; 11-07-2020 at 10:52 PM.
Old 11-08-2020, 11:51 AM

Default Empire Of The Bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinAlberta View Post
Has anyone ever come across any fairly detailed maps of the York Factory Express?

I was recently reading about York Factory and was somewhat amazed that it even existed as it did, let alone was used for over 200 years. The Express or Communication to and from it through Alberta seems to me as important history I wasn’t taught in grade school. (I would imagine the Express might have changed somewhat over time.)
One of my favourite books by Peter C Newman-(includes detailed fold out map), routes of Hudson, Hearne, Mackenzie and Norwesters.

Fascinating history.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Attached Images
File Type: jpg YorkExpress (1 of 1).jpg (39.4 KB, 21 views)

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 11-08-2020, 12:41 PM

Default York

Having canoed the Hayes river ending at York factory is one of my most memorable outdoor experiences. I’ve been to York via boat and airplane but canoeing the river was special. The history is amazing and knowing this site opened up Canada is so interesting to me.
The depot tour is full of history and artifacts, stories and letting ones imagInation Run wild is worth the visit. If anyone gets the chance to visit York, I’d say do it speaking from personal experience
Old 11-08-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason crozier View Post
Having canoed the Hayes river ending at York factory is one of my most memorable outdoor experiences. I’ve been to York via boat and airplane but canoeing the river was special. The history is amazing and knowing this site opened up Canada is so interesting to me.
The depot tour is full of history and artifacts, stories and letting ones imagInation Run wild is worth the visit. If anyone gets the chance to visit York, I’d say do it speaking from personal experience
I just think that 200 to 300 years of European presence and trade with indigenous peoples is so fascinating. Generations passed during the fur trade years.

So when people say immigrants built this country they are ignoring the centuries of indigenous assistance and direct participation and the generations of mixing of european and indigenous populations which built and sustained forts and settlements. All before rail brought in huge numbers of settlers.

Basically the people before the settler rush must have been truly amazing and incredibly rugged people.

Imagine this: “ Roughly 4,200 kilometres (2,600 mi) in length” just for the Express/Communication

Quote:

From west to east, Fort Vancouver to York Factory, the express route ran as follows. Up the Columbia River past the posts of Fort Nez Perces, Fort Okanogan, and Fort Colvile to Boat Encampment (today under Kinbasket Lake), then over Athabasca Pass to Jasper House, down the Athabasca River to Fort Assiniboine, then overland 80 miles (129 km) along the Athabasca Landing Trail to Fort Edmonton; thence down the North Saskatchewan River and Saskatchewan River to Lake Winnipeg and via Norway House on the Nelson River. Finally the brigade would travel down the Hayes River to York Factory on Hudson Bay.[8][9]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/York_Factory_Express

Used for 270 years!!!

Quote:

York Factory was one of the first fur-trading posts established by the HBC, built in 1684 and used in that business for more than 270 years. The settlement was headquarters of the HBC's Northern Department from 1821 to 1873.[1] The complex was designated a National Historic Site of Canada in 1936.[2]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/York_Factory
Bolding is mine

Last edited by KinAlberta; 11-08-2020 at 01:05 PM.
Old 11-08-2020, 02:23 PM

The last indigenous people’s left the site in the 50’s. I know people that were born at York and still basically call that home
Old 11-08-2020, 02:28 PM

There is many remnants of human activity of the area. From old ship anchors to cannon balls and grape shot to every imaginable shape of steel and copper items
Some gun parts and tools can be found from eroding river banks and in the tidal flats