Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-13-2021, 11:02 PM

Default Help With Identification

So have this old percussion … no idea where it’s from, if it would shoot ( little scared to even try) any information would be great.

See the attached pictures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-13-2021, 11:09 PM

That is one messed up piece of gear for sure, looks like a cobble up barrel that someone shortened and put it into a pistol stock .
The screws are wrong on the back action lock so Heaven only knows what the innards look like .
Cat
Old 12-14-2021, 12:20 AM

Pretty sure it's a D. Saster.

Waiting to happen.
Old 12-14-2021, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
That is one messed up piece of gear for sure, looks like a cobble up barrel that someone shortened and put it into a pistol stock .
The screws are wrong on the back action lock so Heaven only knows what the innards look like .
Cat
I was looking at it then decided to read what you posted ,i started laughing for about 3 minutes. Still laughing re reading your post.

Mess up ,do you think .

Your one very polite person Cat , i just seen it and shook my head saying what the heck is this deal.

Some folks are arguing all day on this site ,but on these threads I get alot of laughs and there is also some very good info also.

Bakerguy ,do not attempt to fire this contraption . Just looking down the top of the barrel isn't a safe deal. The trigger looks awesome .

CHEERS
JD
Old 12-14-2021, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
I was looking at it then decided to read what you posted ,i started laughing for about 3 minutes. Still laughing re reading your post.

Mess up ,do you think .

Your one very polite person Cat , i just seen it and shook my head saying what the heck is this deal.

Some folks are arguing all day on this site ,but on these threads I get alot of laughs and there is also some very good info also.

Bakerguy ,do not attempt to fire this contraption . Just looking down the top of the barrel isn't a safe deal. The trigger looks awesome .

CHEERS
JD

Haha for sure. Was just looking for information on it and will be sticking with my gut feeling and not firing the unit

Old 12-14-2021, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Cat

~006: …. LOL

Old 12-14-2021, 06:50 AM

Definitely built by Bubba, an ugly wall hanger at best.
Old 12-14-2021, 07:09 AM

Looks like a Dupont Remington Model 66 .22 carved out of a 2x4, rechambered for .458 Win, sawed off with hammers added?
Old 12-14-2021, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Looks like a Dupont Remington Model 66 .22 carved out of a 2x4, rechambered for .458 Win, sawed off with hammers added?
Lololololol
The diamonds are a dead giveaway

Thats the gun you let the mother in law shoot her first (and last) time at the range
Old 12-14-2021, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Lololololol
The diamonds are a dead giveaway

Thats the gun you let the mother in law shoot her first (and last) time at the range

Hahaha - so your saying I should let my mother-in-law use it?

Old 12-14-2021, 09:03 AM

Thanks everyone for looking - judging from initial responses it’ll be safe to safe to say don’t use unless it’s the only left in a zombie apocalypse. Until then I’ll be a nice wall unit.

Please continue to comment if you might know what this abomination is.

Old 12-14-2021, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post

Waiting to happen.
Looks like some Bubba had a field day. That lock looks interesting though , the gun has a serial number so must have started as something.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 12-14-2021, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakerguy View Post

Once. Post before and afters.
Old 12-14-2021, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Once. Post before and afters.

Old 12-14-2021, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post

Waiting to happen.
pretty much seems to sum it up. Qulafies for a Lord Blue Thunderin Haysoos,WTH is that thing?
Old 12-14-2021, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakerguy View Post

I wouldn’t want to see anyone get hurt so could I get my mother in law to try it first.
Old 12-14-2021, 12:54 PM

id run that rod down barrel to make sure some brave soul didn't charge it with a load. its surprising how many old flints and percussion have a old charge forgotten in em.
Also that lock looks interesting, i swear iv seen one before.
i might be half tempted to strap it down charge it and remote fire it with a long string. after i took it apart cleaned the hell out of it and fired a few percussion caps only out of it. then maybe charge it with 30 grains of ffg some #4 shot and yep remote try it for giggles then hang it. if any thing make sure it wouldn't be considered a working firearm. think you would need your restricted license then.
if any thing id say that thing ( errr fine work of art)started life as a percussion rifle then got cut down to be a pistol and slapped in a home made stock.
Old 12-14-2021, 01:00 PM
Gone Hunting

All I can say is, , , I have no clue what that thing is.

I'd put it on the coffee table and ask my guests to tell me what it is.

Should be good for a few laughs watching them scratch their heads.

There must be someone somewhere that can identify the lock plate and proof mark, if that is a proof mark.

Even if it's cobbled together from toys and old guns, it must have a history of some sort that can be at least partially figured out.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-14-2021, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrossbow View Post
id run that rod down barrel to make sure some brave soul didn't charge it with a load. its surprising how many old flints and percussion have a old charge forgotten in em.
Also that lock looks interesting, i swear iv seen one before.
i might be half tempted to strap it down charge it and remote fire it with a long string. after i took it apart cleaned the hell out of it and fired a few percussion caps only out of it. then maybe charge it with 30 grains of ffg some #4 shot and yep remote try it for giggles then hang it. if any thing make sure it wouldn't be considered a working firearm. think you would need your restricted license then.
if any thing id say that thing ( errr fine work of art)started life as a percussion rifle then got cut down to be a pistol and slapped in a home made stock.
This,
If you do string fire it, take a video of it blowing up.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 12-14-2021, 01:16 PM

I wouldn’t be surprised that if you took that thing apart you would discover that it was never meant to fire. The trigger for one thing doesn’t look like it would pull. There quite possibly are no internals under the side plate. Is the nipple open ? Or blocked .

Looks like part of someone’s Halloween pirate costume.
Old 12-14-2021, 01:40 PM

Yes. I wouldn’t take any chances with it. I would make sure it is inoperable so no one ever tries it.
Old 12-14-2021, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
I wouldn’t want to see anyone get hurt so could I get my mother in law to try it first.

Get in line buster.
Old 12-14-2021, 02:30 PM

I believe if I'm not mistaken is that this is a HMBAWT model 12.

(Hold My Beer And Watch This)
Old 12-14-2021, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
I believe if I'm not mistaken is that this is a HMBAWT model 12.

(Hold My Beer And Watch This)

Excellent. 12 signifying a case of beer so there's 11 to kill the pain after firing?
Old 12-14-2021, 03:19 PM

Reference to having the MIL fire this thing reminded me of:
"I bought my ex-wife an electric chair, but the State won't let me plug it in!"
Old 12-14-2021, 03:19 PM

The stove bolt screw holding the hammer on is a nice touch

It might safer being in front of it when it was touched off
Old 12-14-2021, 05:43 PM

Question Spitballin' ideas- that is a unique lock design

My first thought was it is an Afghan gun, but the stock is nowhere near ornate enough. Then I found this photo of an English rifle with Ottoman barrel. You can see that the barrel is a separate component fitted to the breech. Except for the obvious cosmetic differences, the lock and breech design/layout is a close match to yours.
Besides the attached photo, here is a link to the site with more photos and information about the actual rifle.
https://www.mandarinmansion.com/item...ottoman-barrel

My guess- Bubba started with a plain Jane circa 1820 English rifle in rough shape, manufactured replacement parts, and cobbled together a barrel to fit. Maybe even drilled and tapped that screw below the nipple for a slip fit barrel lock? Or maybe it was designed that way by the manufacturer (likely either George or William Davison) to allow for easy barrel/calibre changes for industrial customers?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg english-rifle-ottoman-barrel3.jpg (39.7 KB, 16 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 12-14-2021, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban rednek View Post
My first thought was it is an Afghan gun, but the stock is nowhere near ornate enough. Then I found this photo of an English rifle with Ottoman barrel. You can see that the barrel is a separate component fitted to the breech. Except for the obvious cosmetic differences, the lock and breech design/layout is a close match to yours.
Besides the attached photo, here is a link to the site with more photos and information about the actual rifle.
https://www.mandarinmansion.com/item...ottoman-barrel

My guess- Bubba started with a plain Jane circa 1820 English rifle in rough shape, manufactured replacement parts, and cobbled together a barrel to fit. Maybe even drilled and tapped that screw below the nipple for a slip fit barrel lock? Or maybe it was designed that way by the manufacturer (likely either George or William Davison) to allow for easy barrel/calibre changes for industrial customers?
Looking at the breeching system, I'm tempted to say it was a shotgun, not your usual breech plug. I was originally thinking some kind of Trade gun.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 12-14-2021, 06:33 PM

Default Too late to edit the previous post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams1 View Post
Looking at the breeching system, I'm tempted to say it was a shotgun, not your usual breech plug. I was originally thinking some kind of Trade gun.

Grizz
Trade gun! That's the word I was looking for! Thanks Grizz, that is likely the case.
I was focused on the unique design of the lock (trigger, guard, access plate, and hammer) and the breech design with the integrated nipple. That was the only example I could find that matched Bakerguy's pistol. Since the Ottoman rifle was chambered in .58 calibre, that breech is quite large to begin with. Although it would have been easy to scale the breech casting to shotgun dimensions.
I am assuming (without verifying) that design was patented by the Davison's, and was not as prolific as many other muzzle loader designs of the time.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 12-14-2021, 07:10 PM

thank you urban redneck. yes i knew i had seen that lock before, could be it.
and please original poster make sure it is rendered unusable if going wall hang it. would only take once for wrong person to see it around and could loose p.a.l for not having a restricted not properly locked up. cant be to careful only takes once. even bubbas work can still be defined as working, even if working means once and it blows up. sorry if im overly safe. having 3 house checks in a yr due to over zealous security guards and a rotten person living next door has made me so thankfull i store and lock stuff up over and above the book requirements.