Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-12-2021, 02:42 PM

Default Best bore sighter

We lent the bore sighter out and...well now I need a new one and its been ages since I bought one.
for the $ what's the best out there and where?

thanks
Old 12-12-2021, 02:59 PM

Hey Roger, haven't seen you on here for a while. welcome back.

Top of the heap, Site Lite Ultra Mag Bore sighter. Second choice would be the Wheeler. Neither are cheap, but great quality. That said I still bore sight by pulling the bolt out and lining the bore and scope up at 100 yards. Still have not found a bore sighter that will come as close as I can get it doing it that way. For guns I can't look down the bore of I sight them at 25 yards using a piece of 24x36 pattern paper with a dot in the center.
Old 12-12-2021, 03:00 PM

I actually got a Bushnell Pro as a doorprize years ago, and it has worked great many times for me. Twice, we ended up putting first rounds within 1/2" of the x at 100 yards (once with 17 hmr, once with a .270) although the norm was more like 2-4" off at 100 yards.

I had no idea of the cost till I just looked. Good prize!

Bushnell Professional Bore Sight Kit with Case , Black https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0002LWWBW/...TD2BJT520CE667

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-12-2021, 03:17 PM

Default Bore sighter

I've had a Busnell Pro for a looong time. Best I could find back then and still the best.
Old 12-12-2021, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I actually got a Bushnell Pro as a doorprize years ago, and it has worked great many times for me. Twice, we ended up putting first rounds within 1/2" of the x at 100 yards (once with 17 hmr, once with a .270) although the norm was more like 2-4" off at 100 yards.

I had no idea of the cost till I just looked. Good prize!

Bushnell Professional Bore Sight Kit with Case , Black https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0002LWWBW/...TD2BJT520CE667
I got one of these and it’s 40-45 years old !! Done a lot of boresighting
Old 12-12-2021, 03:37 PM

Follow the boresigthing process laid out in every scope owners manual.
No need for a collimeter.
For semis and levers, just center the errector assembly, and take a shot at a 25 yard target, adjust as required.

Even with my inline muzzleloader I was set to a huntable zero in only 3 shots.(25yd 1, shot, 100yd 2 shots)

There are no absolutes
Old 12-12-2021, 04:53 PM

My Mother gifted me my Bushnell Pro many Christmas’s ago. It has boresighted well over a hundred rifles. It works well!!!

Dicks way works too, and very likely more accurate, but that way has limitations too.
Old 12-12-2021, 09:29 PM

I set the rifle on the bags, remove the bolt, sight through the barrel, then without moving the rifle, I sight through the scope.

I see what kind of difference there is between where the barrel is vs where the crosshairs are and adjust from there. Like if the scope is 2" high, 3" right kinda thing from where the barrel is, I adjust the crosshairs for that.

And that works for me. Done it a bunch of times.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 12-13-2021, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonical View Post
I set the rifle on the bags, remove the bolt, sight through the barrel, then without moving the rifle, I sight through the scope.

I see what kind of difference there is between where the barrel is vs where the crosshairs are and adjust from there. Like if the scope is 2" high, 3" right kinda thing from where the barrel is, I adjust the crosshairs for that.

And that works for me. Done it a bunch of times.
Easiest and cheapest way,never fails me.
Old 12-13-2021, 08:12 PM

Same as above! But my brother has the Bushnell pro! And I've used it and work great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
Easiest and cheapest way,never fails me.