Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Would you like to see more playgrounds in provincial campgrounds ?
Yes you would would like to see more playgrounds in provincial campgrounds 107 54.04%
No you wouldn't like to see more playgrounds in provincial campgrounds 91 45.96%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-05-2016, 08:34 PM
Banned

Default Would you like to see playgrounds in provincial campgrounds ?

For all those parents that like to take their youngins to provincial campgrounds that have playgrounds would you like to see more of them ?

I'm not big on it as a requirement however my wife is and would like to see more of them, especially in the mountains. I find we keep busy enough not to need one but it would add to the enjoyment somewhat. And possibly more of a money maker.

Last edited by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^; 07-05-2016 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-05-2016, 08:58 PM

Yes - its an easy way to meet other families at the campsite, especially for longer stays.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:04 PM

As a parent with 3 kids under the age of 6, I can say without a doubt that a good playground is something that brings us back for more. Children can be tough to keep occupied and a variety of things to keep them interested is never a bad idea. We bring a lot of activites and toys with us, but sometimes they still get squirrely. We are big believers in leaving the electronics at home. not sure why anyone would think its a bad idea. Kids these days need more outdoor activities, not less.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:43 PM
Banned

No. Take the kids for a hike or toss them in the lake. You want your kids to scream and yell at a slide leave them home in the city neighborhood.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:46 PM
Banned

When did camping become convenience?
Old 07-05-2016, 09:48 PM

I am amazed that at time of writing 45% of people don't...

There is not many things in life that brings more joy than seeing happy children........My kids are past playground age, but my kids had more fun playing with other kids than hiking with me (easy target i know)
They get the social interactions, so do parents.

I'm really starting to wonder about the mindset of some of the people on this forum.

I'd love to hear some more arguments why playgrounds shouldn't be at campgrounds.

I don't mind the sound of screaming kids at 7pm, it's the yahoo's playing steppenwolf, or Billy Bob's girlfriend's drunken ramblings in the middle of the night that makes me mad.

Last edited by Heyupduck; 07-05-2016 at 09:54 PM.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:51 PM

No way, like mentioned go hiking or walking around and see nature more to learn than riding on a Mary go round.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyupduck View Post

There is not many things in life that brings more joy than seeing happy children........

I'm really starting to wonder about the mindset of some of the people on this forum.

I'd love to hear some arguments why playgrounds shouldn't be at campgrounds.
X2
I've come to feel that for some reason this forum seems to attract a lot of curmedgeons (both young and old) who hate change and have a strong case NIMBY syndrome.
Old 07-05-2016, 10:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
X2
I've come to feel that for some reason this forum seems to attract a lot of curmedgeons (both young and old) who hate change and have a strong case NIMBY syndrome.
Why bother going camping at all?

Family shows up in an RV that has amenities that home doesn't have. Kids bring all the toys with them, movies, TV. What the heck happened to camping? Getting your kids outdoors, teaching them something useful?

But we're the nimby's? Stay home, bring your kids to the local park.
Old 07-05-2016, 10:00 PM
Banned

Having more of them would definitely draw in more family's because there is more to do as said already and more money being generated, probably paying itself off in no time. On a side note a good location for one is probably more important for those who don't have kids or enjoy the racket as I'm sure they wouldn't want one next to their camp.

I'm also going to try to be more considerate when I'm in public campgrounds for my noise making and other peoples enjoyment. I was under the impression for a bit that if I don't wake my son or wife up I'm not bothering others either..well I was wrong and I'll own that I'm more of a free range camper I like your signature silverdoctor.
Old 07-05-2016, 10:23 PM
Banned

I took a party of twelve up to Blue/Bovin lake on Canada Day 6 kids, 1-8yo, 1-9yo,2-11yo, 1-12 yo and one 13yo, the rest were adults. I lead the pack with the kids, and you know what? They yelled and screamed and asked questions the whole way up! I cherished every minute of it! They will yell and scream regardless if there is a playground or not. Damn right I think they should have playgrounds, not everybody is into the same things, like Duh! That's why we are humans! Life would be pretty boring if we all liked the same thing. Never fails the doom and gloom trolls even try derail this one! OOOOHHHH MMMYYYY!!!!! Like really, let's be mad kids for being kids, is there no end the heartless negativity?
Old 07-05-2016, 10:27 PM
Banned

One other thing,R.V.ing and camping are not the same thing!
Old 07-05-2016, 10:37 PM

I have no problem investing in young kids.

Cannot think of many better ways for young ones to spend their summer than camping with their family. Whatever makes it more enjoyable for them has my vote.
Old 07-05-2016, 10:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
Why bother going camping at all?

Family shows up in an RV that has amenities that home doesn't have. Kids bring all the toys with them, movies, TV. What the heck happened to camping? Getting your kids outdoors, teaching them something useful?

But we're the nimby's? Stay home, bring your kids to the local park.
Bingo! How about a theater at campgrounds too. And a daycare.
Old 07-05-2016, 10:45 PM

I have 4 kids under 6 (soon to be 7). To me the playgrounds would be just another activity, with the bonus of not being in the concrete jungle. My only concern is that playground equipment can be quite pricey, which may take away from other needs within parks. There may also be liability issues.
Old 07-06-2016, 12:12 AM
Banned

Kids playing and not stuck in an RV because mom and dad don't know anything about the outdoors is better than nothing.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:38 AM

I can remember watching Smoky the Bear and etc, on outdoor screens at Washington State campsites in the early 60's, seems to me that was at Wenatchee and maybe Lk Chelan. I know there were movies as well, what they were , I forget, likely Disney stuff and cartoons. Alberta campgrounds lack a lot of any kind of interesting stuff in my mind. I'm wondering a bit at the idea the campgrounds could "make more money" by way of having playgrounds. How, paying someone there to babysit the kids at the playground? Higher camping fees?
Old 07-06-2016, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyupduck View Post

There is not many things in life that brings more joy than seeing happy children........My kids are past playground age, but my kids had more fun playing with other kids than hiking with me (easy target i know)
They get the social interactions, so do parents.

I'd love to hear some more arguments why playgrounds shouldn't be at campgrounds.

I don't mind the sound of screaming kids at 7pm, it's the yahoo's playing steppenwolf, or Billy Bob's girlfriend's drunken ramblings in the middle of the night that makes me mad.

Well said! There hasn't been a decent argument against playgrounds yet. Mostly just baseless arguments from the "back in my day" crowd. Other activities will not just stop if there is a playground. People still go for hikes, hang out on the beach, go for a creek fish etc. This is just more to keep the kids active. BTW, we do a week of camping far far away from any sort of amenities every summer. No playgrounds, beaches, or pools. Just us and some friends in a meadow. Yes it is great and the kids have fun, but everyone needs variety, I know change is hard for some though....
Old 07-06-2016, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Bingo! How about a theater at campgrounds too. And a daycare.
How about having group programs for kids at campgrounds teaching them about nature?
"Jerry's rangers" in BC is fantastic way to entertain and educate.
Old 07-06-2016, 06:32 AM

[QUOTE=wildbill;3270892]One other thing,R.V.ing and camping are not the same thing![/QUOTE

Camping is different things to different people. judging others enjoyment of the outdoors by our standards is a blind view.

Similar statements are found in hunting and fishing circles. Spinning vs fly fishing, rifle vs bow, bow vs crossbow.

That said it certainly does fuel forum discussions and that keeps things interesting.
Old 07-06-2016, 07:09 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Yes it gets the kids away from the electronics! Burn off some steam, most want a place away from adults anyways after the initial hype of camping wears off.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-06-2016, 08:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
I can remember watching Smoky the Bear and etc, on outdoor screens at Washington State campsites in the early 60's, seems to me that was at Wenatchee and maybe Lk Chelan. I know there were movies as well, what they were , I forget, likely Disney stuff and cartoons. Alberta campgrounds lack a lot of any kind of interesting stuff in my mind. I'm wondering a bit at the idea the campgrounds could "make more money" by way of having playgrounds. How, paying someone there to babysit the kids at the playground? Higher camping fees?
The campground could make more money if there was more playgrounds to keep the kids entertained with a larger variety of activities. I started this thread from a discussion my wife and I just had, I says to the wife why don't we go to this place and the wife's reply, it's a nice place but there's no playground why don't we go to ol McDonald's farm ? I don't know if anyone's ever been there but I can tell you it just ain't camping to me, it's like an amusement park for kids. I'm sure I'll be spending lots of time there as my son gets older and I except that I guess because my wife loves it there so much.

We bring lots of toys and activities to keep our son busy when we go camping but he still loves his playgrounds. I personally love camping in the bush and it's the only place I'd like to go but it's not always up to me. We would definitely stay longer and visit more places if there were more playgrounds there. I'm just trying to think back when I was a kid and my favourite place to visit was Thompson resort because they have the big rocket to climb. That place is always packed full of families because of more activities. It makes me think more money would be generated for the campgrounds with more family activities but as mentioned already I wonder about liability and maybe that's why there are basically none from rocky to B.C. Due to more remote locations and kids hurting them selves ? It's a thought but it still doesn't mean there shouldn't be one at these places.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:14 AM
Banned

Charge an extra $15 per night for campgrounds with playgrounds.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:20 AM

Kids grown now, but we always appreciated places with playgrounds. But the way things are going, more parents will want wifi. LOL
Old 07-06-2016, 10:00 AM

When I was a kid, all I had for entertainment when we went camping was a stick and a bunch of rocks to hit with it. And I was happy to have it!!

I would like to see more campgrounds with playgrounds. I know that when our kids were little, a playground would have been a welcome amenity at a campground. Yes, we went fishing, and hiking and frog catching and biking and rock skipping and a whole bunch of other typical camping activities. But a playground would be a nice feature....... dad takes the kids to the playground while mom reads her book........mom takes the kids to the playground while dad chops wood and does a few chores around the camp.

Even now, with our kids not coming with us, I'd like to see playgrounds at the campgrounds. I've never really been bothered by the laughter of happy children.
Kid's love playgrounds. I see no problem with having one at a campground.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Yes it gets the kids away from the electronics! Burn off some steam, most want a place away from adults anyways after the initial hype of camping wears off.
Wow, how did we ever survive childhood with no electronics in the campground.

Why not take the electronics away?
Old 07-06-2016, 10:29 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
X2
Well that's not me buddy. No sirree Bob.

I think the gov't should go full monty, all in, pull out all stops and have full blown amusement parks at these campsites and they should be loud and large and free and well advertised.

Anything that congregates the little yard apes, carpet crawlers and snot suckers in one place, gets my vote. Much better than having them screaming through my campsite trying to steal stuff, like booze and depends.

What's a curmudgeon anyway? Is it even a 'thing'?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 07-06-2016, 10:42 AM

I completely agree that a decent playground at a cg is a great attraction. BUT, I think there are better things for the money to be spent on.

My biggest issue, is currently the CG's are all overflowing with RV's and there has been very little done to update the CG's (ie make the spots larger/more sites). I would much prefer (at this time) for money to be spent on those type of upgrades. add an extra loop of sites.

The largest problem with a playground is they cost a fortune. Last school playground I know of had to fundraise over $300g (and that was for materials only, we had to assemble it). Now, I know the CG playgrounds wouldn't have to be as big but even at $150g, that could pay for 10 extra sites.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:49 AM

Default Campgrounds

Several parks have golf which costs many thousands of dollars to build and maintain, why not playgrounds
Old 07-06-2016, 11:00 AM
Banned

I guess the bottom line for me is that all of these things are fine as long as it's not government paying for it. Golf, playgrounds, etc. All getting out of hand when we are running huge deficits, paying huge amounts of taxes, etc. At some point someone has to be a grownup and say we can't afford it.

These are luxuries we can NOT afford.