Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-25-2021, 02:38 PM

Default Straight-pull actions

I have become totally infatuated with straight-pull actions. Over the last ten years, I have aquired two Blaser R-8's, and just recently, a Merkel Helix. Even my gopher gun, a .22 T-bolt, is straight-pull action. Very fast cycling, and all of them very accurate.
I have looked over many Ross rifles, but their history is plagued with issues, both function and safety. The Ross was actually a Canadian designed rifle during the second world war, but due to their problems in the field, many soldiers would throw them away to grab up an enfield.
I find myself looking to add further to these action types, and my current search is now for a Heym SR30. (I honestly think that the latest savage "invention" is a copyrite infringement on the SR30.) A ball bearing lock-up mechanism that has no friction on the bolt pull, for a smooth cycle.
Does anyone on the site have any experience with this Heym model, and more importantly, does anyone have one they would be willing to part with? I dont believe they are currently being made, and they rarely come up on any used gun sites or even at auction.
Old 06-25-2021, 03:47 PM

I have not had a heym straight pull. But the sr20 was a beautifully built, fit and finished rifle.
I have not bought a Ross yet. But i have looked in to them quite a bit. I believe them to be a very high quality rifle, that got a bad reputation in military use Where mud and dust will wreak havoc on any action with tight tolerances. The bolt reassembly would be an issue in combat. But for sporting purposes i think its a fine rifle.
Brad
Old 06-25-2021, 05:01 PM

Ross gets a bad rap. The bolt could be assembled incorrectly, it's actually not that easy to do but could be done. They pinned the bolt on the mk3* I believe I'd the markings for it. Not many original mk3 are out there. I do have a Canadian home guard which is the original mk3 bolt. I have disassemble it so I know it's not that easy to put back together incorrect.

The reliability issue had to do with Ross having a tight chamber for accuracy. The ammo was not always up to spec and could cause problems, add dirt into that and became worse. Ross was a target rifle first. Enfield very generous chambers, battle rifle.

My Ross is one the most accurate iron sight rifles I have shot. Not uncommon for bullet holes to touch. My bore is not the greatest.

If you can find one unaltered worth the money
Old 06-25-2021, 08:14 PM

OP how do you like the Merkel Helix? I have been thinking of getting one.
Old 06-25-2021, 08:45 PM

Default helix

After purchasing, I did a little research and found there was some issues with tight chambers and case seperation on reloads.
So far (I have really been anal about case length and resizing) no issues, but the gun is like my cooper; A bit fussy with loads to get it to group. My hunting loads with premium bullets group well, the hornady range loads are just "OK".
So far, my Blasers are the best shooters. They just seem to handle anything I throw down the chamber and make me look good on paper!
One picky note on the helix, is the bolt handle sticks out rather awkwardly. Even by the time they shipped me the rifle in its hard case, the bolt knob had chewed through the egg foam lining right to the outer plastic. I hope it never gets to a point where I have to worry about it cracking or breaking off. I am currently looking for a bit deeper (wider?)case to carry it in.
Old 06-25-2021, 08:54 PM

Thanks for the detailed reply. My 1727F 17hmr is my first straight pull and I really like it which got me thinking I need a straight pull hunting rifle.
Old 06-25-2021, 09:09 PM

Savage has the new Impulse straight pull action.
Old 06-25-2021, 10:15 PM

I have a Mauser M1996 straight pull in 6.5x55. I like the action and it seems to shoot everything quite well.
Old 06-26-2021, 07:43 AM

Default Roessler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest206 View Post
I have a Mauser M1996 straight pull in 6.5x55. I like the action and it seems to shoot everything quite well.
Looks like Roessler (SP?) now picked that model up. Very interesting lock-up. Not sure I would be really crazy about the bolt location for quick follow up shots. Take a bit to get used to?
Old 06-27-2021, 12:53 AM

Just out of curiosity, why did you purchase 2 R8s? I thought the benefit of them was the simplicity and convenience of swapping out barrels/bolts etc.
Old 06-27-2021, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgutpile View Post
I have become totally infatuated with straight-pull actions. Over the last ten years, I have aquired two Blaser R-8's, and just recently, a Merkel Helix. Even my gopher gun, a .22 T-bolt, is straight-pull action. Very fast cycling, and all of them very accurate.
I have looked over many Ross rifles, but their history is plagued with issues, both function and safety. The Ross was actually a Canadian designed rifle during the second world war, but due to their problems in the field, many soldiers would throw them away to grab up an enfield.
I find myself looking to add further to these action types, and my current search is now for a Heym SR30. (I honestly think that the latest savage "invention" is a copyrite infringement on the SR30.) A ball bearing lock-up mechanism that has no friction on the bolt pull, for a smooth cycle.
Does anyone on the site have any experience with this Heym model, and more importantly, does anyone have one they would be willing to part with? I dont believe they are currently being made, and they rarely come up on any used gun sites or even at auction.
Just a side note, the Ross rifle was used in WW1.
Old 06-27-2021, 06:24 PM

Default R8's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickn View Post
Just out of curiosity, why did you purchase 2 R8s? I thought the benefit of them was the simplicity and convenience of swapping out barrels/bolts etc.
I started out with the synthetic stock and 3 barrels (22-250,30-06, and 9.3x62).
Later on I approached a dealer about the costs of getting into a nice wood stock, and next thing you know........
Old 06-27-2021, 06:26 PM

Default ross

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303carbine View Post
Just a side note, the Ross rifle was used in WW1.
You are right of course! My bad.
Old 06-27-2021, 08:03 PM

Out of spec British ammunition is what killed the Ross rifle.
Old 06-27-2021, 08:25 PM

My wife has a T-Bolt. I admit to being skeptical when we started looking, but 20 years and brick after brick later, light little gun fit as a fiddle. Action tight, will have to passed down.
Old 06-29-2021, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Looks like Roessler (SP?) now picked that model up. Very interesting lock-up. Not sure I would be really crazy about the bolt location for quick follow up shots. Take a bit to get used to?
Not really much to adjust to. It points well, shoots great, and is unique which is why I bought it other than it's in my favorite caliber. The trigger is quite heavy and non adjustable but other than that I'm pleased with the rifle. It shoots 125 gr. partitions extremely well.
Old 06-29-2021, 04:56 PM

I have two Ross rifles, a mkII sporter and a cut down mkIII and I enjoy using them. Shot a white tail and a mule deer with the mkIII in 2019 and currently working out a load for the mkII with Hodgdon’s triple seven black powder.
Old 07-17-2021, 10:40 AM

Have owned a few ross rifles still have one great action for sport or hunting.
Swiss made a very accurate rifle in the K-31 straight pull.
Old 07-22-2021, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Hey Oldgutpile. I have a 280AI Heym SR30. Ordered a 7x64 and then Ralf Martini rechambered it. It’s quite the rig. With shipping from Germany and Ralf’s labor it was just north of $6K. It took forever to get it here due to COVID though. Haven’t even fired 20 rounds from it yet. I would maybe be willing to let er go, but it is pretty special. Google “Heym Fabrik” if you wanna check out their website. Give me your number and I can send you a couple pics of mine.