Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-11-2021, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlin1 View Post
I use a 4x bushnell for gophers . given to me from a board member . Jeez whats the drop on a 22 at 300 yards? for me 75 yards is a long shot on a gopher

Only 163 inches for the setup I use. 15.1 MRAD on the dial.
Old 06-11-2021, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallz View Post
Yep, on a 10/22 platform as well. I can't see myself shooting a bolt action 22LR anytime soon. Yes they are a bit more accurate, but the goal is to get the semi accurate. Just waiting for my timney trigger to get back from warranty work and then I stretch the legs on the 10/22.

I currently use a NF on the big bore rifle and for years I thought that was the cats meow. I was looking for a new scope to put on top of the new custom rifle that is on order. The thought was to go with the new NF NX8 series as I was impressed with the current NXS I'm using now. Then I read some, researched some, and read some more, and started looking at the Revic line of scopes. Actually handled one, and decided to go a different route. Then I read some, researched some, and read some more. It was between Tangent Theta and the very comparable Zero Compromise. The ZCO won the fight, because of the available 4-20x50 were the TT was only a 3-15x50 option. The ZCO is a work of art and I'm sure the TT would have been as well.

I would love to have a gopher patch to shoot over, but no such luck here in BC were I live. I could sit over it all day and plink away at the buggers if given a chance. Yep far enough back from them so they have no clue what was heading their way.

Ruger 10/22's might be the biggest scam going. Massive crap new out of the box BUT if you spend another $1000 - - $1500.00 you can get a half decent Rimfire rifle that shoots almost as well as an Anschutz or CZ. Until something else goes wrong .i.e. stovepiping, ftf's, eject issues, etc.

Bought one in the mid 70's and it was a pretty good little shooter but it actually had some metal parts in it. Bought a new one a year ago thinking maybe they were still decent and would be fun to plink with again. Worst firearm I've ever handled with zero quality finishing and workmanship on par with the artwork my 2 yr old grandson gives me. Abysmal trigger and all 3 of the issues mentioned above. Put a Kidd trigger in it. That sorta solved one issue but not well. Changed out firing pin, extractor and all springs with Dlask and polished bolt. End result was a still unreliable, misfiring piece of goo with $600 in new parts.

I'll stick with my 452's, 453's, and 455's .22, hmr, and 22 mag thanks.

Last edited by 270person; 06-11-2021 at 05:15 PM.
Old 06-14-2021, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Ruger 10/22's might be the biggest scam going. Massive crap new out of the box BUT if you spend another $1000 - - $1500.00 you can get a half decent Rimfire rifle that shoots almost as well as an Anschutz or CZ. Until something else goes wrong .i.e. stovepiping, ftf's, eject issues, etc.

Bought one in the mid 70's and it was a pretty good little shooter but it actually had some metal parts in it. Bought a new one a year ago thinking maybe they were still decent and would be fun to plink with again. Worst firearm I've ever handled with zero quality finishing and workmanship on par with the artwork my 2 yr old grandson gives me. Abysmal trigger and all 3 of the issues mentioned above. Put a Kidd trigger in it. That sorta solved one issue but not well. Changed out firing pin, extractor and all springs with Dlask and polished bolt. End result was a still unreliable, misfiring piece of goo with $600 in new parts.

I've actually never owned a "ruger" 10/22. Always been variants. Had a few before I decided I wanted to build my own takedown. Ordered all said parts from across Norther America. I might get a stovepipe once in about 500 rounds, so very few compared to the rounds that gun pumps out.

Only thing I have had for ruger parts on a 10/22 is a free trigger that I got while my timney was in for warranty repairs.

Still nothing beats the cost of shooting 22LR for down range practice.
Old 06-14-2021, 11:27 AM

Quote:

I completely agree. They were a mediocre gun 30 years ago and they have become a true piece of junk in the last 10 years at least. I cannot for the life of me see why anyone would buy them and spend $1,000 to get a $300 piece of crap to shoot well, There are far better semi autos around.
Old 06-14-2021, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I completely agree. They were a mediocre gun 30 years ago and they have become a true piece of junk in the last 10 years at least. I cannot for the life of me see why anyone would buy them and spend $1,000 to get a $300 piece of crap to shoot well, There are far better semi autos around.

My old 70's version shot pretty decent even with a crap 4x scope, and I get the guys that like hammering out 10-25 rounds in 3 seconds but I can think of a lot of rimfires (name any brand) I'd rather own for the same coin as what it costs to make a 10/22 shoot reliably.

Can't believe how cheaply made they are now. Should come with 10 second guaranteed access to a Ruger service hotline card.
Old 06-15-2021, 08:58 AM

Quote:
My old 70's version shot pretty decent even with a crap 4x scope, and I get the guys that like hammering out 10-25 rounds in 3 seconds but I can think of a lot of rimfires (name any brand) I'd rather own for the same coin as what it costs to make a 10/22 shoot reliably.

Can't believe how cheaply made they are now. Should come with 10 second guaranteed access to a Ruger service hotline card.
My buddy just bought one of the new grey stocked ones. I can't speak to the long term, but it shoots much tighter then the one I bought in the early 90's. My old one has proven to be extremely reliable and very accurate, but it has a new barrel on it, and the trigger was reworked by K&S years ago, so call it a $750 dollar rifle. It will hang with most bolts with the VQ barrel. It's death on gophers and chickens. Do I prefer my bolts, yes, but that's perhaps because that's what I grew up with. I have had at least 4 Annies, a Walther, a Sako P72, and a new T1x, so I'm pretty familiar with what good bolts are capable of. The 10/22 would not be my first choice on the sillouhette line, but it would hang with many.

.........oh wait, this is a thread on scopes lol. I like the leupy 6.5-20's the best for high magnification. The little Weaver Classic 4x is my fave for a field gun, but the old leupold rimfires are good too. My suggestion would be used...because I'm cheap The older Bushnell Trophy 6-18's are a nice size for a 22, and the couple I have had worked great for tracking, a bit mushy compared to the leupolds, but still pretty repeatable.

Last edited by Homesteader; 06-15-2021 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-14-2021, 08:29 AM

So I guess Nikon is not going to fix they are going to keep it. Wow what an ordeal to get my money back from that company. 😡
They said I was going to get a refund still waiting. Been a couple of weeks now.
Old 07-14-2021, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes View Post
So I guess Nikon is not going to fix they are going to keep it. Wow what an ordeal to get my money back from that company. 😡
They said I was going to get a refund still waiting. Been a couple of weeks now.

Them not fixing it was pretty much what I expected but if you actually end up with a refund of the purchase price then you will still have done WAY better than the rest of us. Cash back is far better than a discount coupon for another piece of Nikon crap that they don't stand behind. Best of luck with the refund, sure hope the cash shows up for you.
Old 07-17-2021, 06:56 PM

So I’m looking at a Burris signature HD 5-25 x50 for a my new scope.
Any one have one, what’s the quality of the optics like? Any other recommendations in that $1k mark.
Old 07-17-2021, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Any one have one, what’s the quality of the optics like? Any other recommendations in that $1k mark.
I’d look at a Leupold vx3i LRP. I kept my FFP 8.5-25x50 for my .22 trainer I want to build up. It’s mil/mil and dialled reliably to shoot a .308 to 1000 meters. I see a lot more 6-18x50 models out there even used. That’s one route you could look into.
Old 07-18-2021, 10:58 PM

Don’t go vortex. I’ve owned a few and tested them extensively. They’re junk. Well warrantied and marketed junk. You WILL be using that warranty. The optical formulas they use are laughable.

I hear that if you just replace every single part in a 10/22, it’s a pretty good rifle!
Old 08-05-2021, 09:57 PM

Finally was able to get my cheque out of Nikon.
Now to find a decent scope.
Old 08-07-2021, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Check out the Athlon Ares 4.5x27x50, side focus to 25yrds
Old 08-08-2021, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlejet View Post
Do you know of any distributors in Alberta where a guy can look through one before purchase. I really don’t want to spend $1000+ on something sight unseen.
Old 08-08-2021, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Do you know of any distributors in Alberta where a guy can look through one before purchase. I really don’t want to spend $1000+ on something sight unseen.
I know Red Star Target in Calgary has them
Old 08-09-2021, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Do you personally own an Athlon scope. I see lots of good reviews on YouTube, but question if they are paid for the review/ad.
Old 08-09-2021, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Do you personally own an Athlon scope. I see lots of good reviews on YouTube, but question if they are paid for the review/ad.
Yes I have it on my Anschutz 6D4B521B-3448-49AF-8938-22D7EC84CF13.jpg
Old 08-09-2021, 08:40 AM
Banned

i've got a loopy 2x7 on my cz452. the other day i shot a dozen or so gophers over my pool noodle @117 to 127 yds (range finder confirmed), so don't know how some of you guys wouldn't do well from a rest at longer ranges......think one of these days i'll have to try this 300 yd thing you're talking about, just for giggles.

i've got 4 other rimfire scopes laying here, but recently replaced them with loopy rimfires. just my opinion, but loopy is all i will ever need. have them on all my big rifles, and now on all my rimfires too.
Old 08-09-2021, 10:28 AM

Use a good rifle scope and change the paralex on it. If your shooting longer range then you won’t need to change it
Old 08-09-2021, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
i've got a loopy 2x7 on my cz452. the other day i shot a dozen or so gophers over my pool noodle @117 to 127 yds (range finder confirmed), so don't know how some of you guys wouldn't do well from a rest at longer ranges......think one of these days i'll have to try this 300 yd thing you're talking about, just for giggles.

i've got 4 other rimfire scopes laying here, but recently replaced them with loopy rimfires. just my opinion, but loopy is all i will ever need. have them on all my big rifles, and now on all my rimfires too.
Lots of fun trying to "reach out" with a 22. Point of impact changes about 1" per yard between 275 and 300
Old 08-09-2021, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Lots of fun trying to "reach out" with a 22. Point of impact changes about 1" per yard between 275 and 300
I think you will find it is quite a bit more than 1" difference between 275 and 300, even with a high velocity .22 at around 1,450 FPS.
Cat
Old 08-09-2021, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I think you will find it is quite a bit more than 1" difference between 275 and 300, even with a high velocity .22 at around 1,450 FPS.
Cat
(1" per yard) works out to over 20"---that's what I'm getting with real world practice(shooting subsonic)---

Last edited by Littlejet; 08-09-2021 at 11:57 AM.
Old 08-09-2021, 11:57 AM

Quote:
(1" per yard) works out to over 20"---that's what I'm getting with real world shooting subsonic---
Sorry I missed the " per yard" part.
I shoot out to 3 00 Meters on a regular basis with my smallbore match rifles so it got me wondering....
Cat