Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-02-2021, 12:13 PM

Default .22 rifle Scope

So my Nikon scope has gone in for service. I don’t want to miss this season of gophers or the range. So I’m in the market for a new scope. Nikon was a
Prostaff 7 5-20 50mm. Any recommendations on a similar scope of that power and quality.
Old 06-02-2021, 04:28 PM

Have used the Sightron STAC before on my first 22. Was very impressed with the optics for the price. Very clear glass, and was shooting grouse to close to the last light with it. Great built in throw lever as well that folded down, when you had gloves on.

https://www.tesro.ca/sightron-s-tac-...a-reticle.html

Now use a Primary Arms GLX, but that is more because I wanted the bullet drop to go out a distance with the 22. This one is just over the 1K range tho.
Old 06-03-2021, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallz View Post
Have used the Sightron STAC before on my first 22. Was very impressed with the optics for the price. Very clear glass, and was shooting grouse to close to the last light with it. Great built in throw lever as well that folded down, when you had gloves on.

Now use a Primary Arms GLX, but that is more because I wanted the bullet drop to go out a distance with the 22. This one is just over the 1K range tho.
How does it stack up to vortex viper? I’m shopping for warranty now too, on a little recoil gun like a .22 I wouldn’t have ever thought I’d need to get a scope serviced.
Old 06-03-2021, 08:57 PM

Default Mechanics

It is unfortunate but everything has a failure rate. I am a vortex fan but i have to say that athlon has some nice stuff as well.
Old 06-03-2021, 09:40 PM

Flame suit on, but rest assured they work.

I use older Redfield,Weaver etc. fixed 6x, fine crosshair or small target dot 1" scopes on all mine and the wifes .22 rifles. I am sure you will hear someone say that big game rifle scopes are no good because ( of parallax, not made for .22's blah blah blah) I have at least 6 different makes/models on .22's. 17 hmr, and .22 hornets they work just fine and they are cheap ($50-$150 if you watch the buy and sell) and the gophers never know the difference. The wife and I shoot thousands of gophers every year with these rifles so we know they work.

If you must have new, then by all means look at Sightron great glass and not overly expensive but they are going up in price as people have started to discover them more and more. Buy S2 or better if you do buy them though.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 06-04-2021, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes View Post
How does it stack up to vortex viper? I’m shopping for warranty now too, on a little recoil gun like a .22 I wouldn’t have ever thought I’d need to get a scope serviced.
Sorry, I don't use Vortex stuff, never have and never will! Yes I realize that they have some high end stuff that works and is comparable, but even if I had it given to me I would maybe try it and then pass it on. Not my cup of tea!

I guess a bad taste in the mouth while at an outdoor store and the sales person trying to push vortex, like they get a direct kick back from them. That just won't go away in my mind. But that is another story.

I have used several leupold series scopes, and higher end scopes, and for the price and features the Sightron and the Primary Arms I think are head and shoulders above Vortex at the price points.

I had the sightron on a 22 that was strapped to the underside of a UTV roof and had 3 years of trail riding in all conditions. Never a problem. Had some scuff marks on the turret caps from bouncing off the roof, and still never a problem. Was nice and clear in rain, shine, snow and very decent low light clarity. Best grouse hunting was always right at last light, and it performed nicely for that.

The Primary Arms scope is still only 2 months old, but it is working out so far very nicely. It replaced a leupold VX Freedon 6-18x40 scope that just didn't cut it, and is a far better product than that leupold was. I have a different 4-12 freedom on my other 22 that is good. Has very good positive clicks for the turrets, illuminated, 25 yd parallax, came with scope covers, and was still under $1K at my door step. The leupold was more $, and was by far a lesser scope, and I am a leupold user.
Old 06-04-2021, 12:25 PM

Have you tried a Discovery,or a Hawke..At least they're both lifetime warranties
Old 06-04-2021, 12:53 PM

I am using a Sightron STAC right now on my T1X .22. I have to say they are great value for the money. It holds zero like super glue and dials ok as well. Good but not perfect. A basic no frills rugged scope that does the job.
With that scope I am shooting groups at 100m that are just over 1 MOA so I am fairly pleased with its performance so far.
Old 06-09-2021, 09:04 AM

I bought a athlon 3x9x40 neos 22 rimfire scope, nothing fancy but I sure like it! Apparently good warranty and very reasonably priced. Time will tell!
Old 06-09-2021, 09:48 AM

I run primarily Nikon scopes, but I don't think I'll buy another. Not since they stepped back from supporting their hunting-related products.
Old 06-09-2021, 12:38 PM

Your Nikon is not going to come home fixed. Nikon will no longer fix or service their opld scopes and forget about warranty.

If you want inexpensive with a great warranty that you rarely need, get a Bushnell. Next would be Burris. If you have a little more money get a Leupold. Same great warranty, never need it. I would not put a Vortex on my worst enemies gun. Great warranty and you need it often. The suggestion to use old Redfield and Weaver has a great deal of merit if you can find one. My three primary 22s have Leupold, Zeiss and a Bausch and Lomb on them.
Old 06-09-2021, 01:50 PM

I sent it to Nikon and it seems that they are going to fix it at no cost.
Old 06-09-2021, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes View Post
I sent it to Nikon and it seems that they are going to fix it at no cost.

Well I'll be damned. Maybe they finally got enough heat they decided they can't just run away and hide. This is excellent news, sure hope it pans out. Post the outcome please, because that sure wasn't what I was told 5 months ago when I inquired. Best they would offer was a discount on another Nikon product.
Old 06-10-2021, 07:59 AM

I've got Bushnell scopes on my CZ and Mossberg. A newer Prime on the CZ and an Ultra HD on the Mossey. Both have proven to be good at the range and in the field. Sturdy construction with good glass, at least to my old eyes. I've never had any trouble with either. The one time I had an issue, it was that I simply didn't like the reticle and they stood behind there guarantee/warranty and replaced it for for free.
Old 06-10-2021, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Well I'll be damned. Maybe they finally got enough heat they decided they can't just run away and hide. This is excellent news, sure hope it pans out. Post the outcome please, because that sure wasn't what I was told 5 months ago when I inquired. Best they would offer was a discount on another Nikon product.
That is good news! I like the product but was really miffed when they said that they were getting out of the hunting optics business and would stop supporting them.
Old 06-10-2021, 04:34 PM

Quote:

Sounds like you shooting 1000yards with such magnification ...
Old 06-10-2021, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Your Nikon is not going to come home fixed. Nikon will no longer fix or service their opld scopes and forget about warranty.

If you want inexpensive with a great warranty that you rarely need, get a Bushnell. Next would be Burris. If you have a little more money get a Leupold. Same great warranty, never need it. I would not put a Vortex on my worst enemies gun. Great warranty and you need it often. The suggestion to use old Redfield and Weaver has a great deal of merit if you can find one. My three primary 22s have Leupold, Zeiss and a Bausch and Lomb on them.
You forgot Shmidt- Bender
Are you guys serious talking of so powerfull scopes on 22lr, shooting up to 100yards?
What are you using for 338 lapua and 50 ? 36 power?
Old 06-10-2021, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Sounds like you shooting 1000yards with such magnification ...
Lol, while using the 4-16x50 at the range it is hard to go and use the 4-12x40 right away. Typical range sitting will see me shoot between 300-500 rounds.

The 4-16 will be used to go out to 300yrds. To me these are just entry level scopes, and I do realize that for most these are their high end hunting scopes, but to each their own.
I like to see and be able to distinguish an animal for legal shooting at first light and more importantly at last light. You pay for those kind of optics and I have no problem shooting to literally last light by the book. 1 hr after sunset, and add some cloud cover, rain and you get all kinds of variables. Try that with some of the optics out there and see how it goes for ya!

Been there and done that in the younger years with just optics and missing opportunities that will never come back again. Those days are gone.
Old 06-10-2021, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Lol, while using the 4-16x50 at the range it is hard to go and use the 4-12x40 right away. Typical range sitting will see me shoot between 300-500 rounds.

The 4-16 will be used to go out to 300yrds. To me these are just entry level scopes, and I do realize that for most these are their high end hunting scopes, but to each their own.
I like to see and be able to distinguish an animal for legal shooting at first light and more importantly at last light. You pay for those kind of optics and I have no problem shooting to literally last light by the book. 1 hr after sunset, and add some cloud cover, rain and you get all kinds of variables. Try that with some of the optics out there and see how it goes for ya!

Been there and done that in the younger years with just optics and missing opportunities that will never come back again. Those days are gone.
300yards???
Are we talking about 22lr?
Old 06-10-2021, 05:31 PM

Quote:
300yards???

Looks like it. And just to summarize its:

*300 yds with a .22, out to 1000 yds on larger gophers

*An hour after sunset, preferably in heavy cloud cover or rain.

*Big scopes mean positive gopher identification during "variables". This is very important

*Doesn't want to miss opportunities on trophy gophers so puts Zeiss 4-16's on all his .22's.

I believe he may be a gopher PH and probably spent time as a sniper in the armed forces.
Old 06-10-2021, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Looks like it. And just to summarize its:

*300 yds with a .22, out to 1000 yds on larger gophers

*An hour after sunset, preferably in heavy cloud cover or rain.

*Big scopes mean positive gopher identification during "variables". This is very important

*Doesn't want to miss opportunities on trophy gophers so puts Zeiss 4-16's on all his .22's.

I believe he may be a gopher PH and probably spent time as a sniper in the armed forces.
Wow.
What a talent!
JIT2 - don’t miss it!!!

Last edited by sailor; 06-10-2021 at 06:03 PM.
Old 06-10-2021, 09:53 PM

Quote:
You forgot Shmidt- Bender
Are you guys serious talking of so powerfull scopes on 22lr, shooting up to 100yards?
What are you using for 338 lapua and 50 ? 36 power?
Lots of guys are shooting their 22LR out to 500 yards and beyond so you need a better scope.
I am shooting regularly out to 300m.
My next 22LR scope will probably be a Nightforce, Kahles, Burris XTR 3 or something of that ilk.
Do some Googling on Vudoo, Rimx and NRL22.
Things are really stepping up in the world of 22LR. These aren't your grampa's 22s anymore.

My shooting buddy is running a Tract Toric 4.5-30X56 on his new Vudoo 360. It will be interesting to see how that performs as the rifle just arrived this week.

Last edited by Buckhead; 06-10-2021 at 10:08 PM.
Old 06-10-2021, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
Lots of guys are shooting their 22LR out to 500 yards and beyond so you need a better scope.
I am shooting regularly out to 300m.
My next 22LR scope will probably be a Nightforce, Kahles, Burris XTR 3 or something of that ilk.
Do some Googling on Vudoo, Rimx and NRL22.
Things are really stepping up in the world of 22LR. These aren't your grampa's 22s anymore.

My shooting buddy is running a Tract Toric 4.5-30X56 on his new Vudoo 360. It will be interesting to see how that performs as the rifle just arrived this week.
I stopped googling and reading reviews about 15 years ago and started buying , shooting, selling, more buying ,but less selling, keep buying and selling what I don’t like, still go that way
Ps.scope shouldn’t be more than x4 from low to high magnification otherwise it’s pis of S...

Last edited by sailor; 06-10-2021 at 10:36 PM.
Old 06-10-2021, 10:31 PM

Quote:
I stopped googling and reading reviews about 15 years ago and started buying , shooting, selling, more buying ,but less selling, keep buying and selling what I don’t like, still go that way
I'm not talking about reviews just pointing in the direction where to find info on whats happening with 22LR.
Old 06-10-2021, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
I'm not talking about reviews just pointing in the direction where to find info on whats happening with 22LR.
It’s OK man. I am not here to argue. Everybody either ives in his imaginary world copy pasting on forum or stops reading and going to his range and argueing there with his gear seeing results

Last edited by sailor; 06-10-2021 at 11:02 PM.
Old 06-11-2021, 05:21 AM

When I get the 22 I’m wanting for a trainer, I have a Leupold vx3i LRP 8.5-25x50 to use. Mil/ mil so be identical to my big bore rifles.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:57 AM

Quote:
300yards???
Yep, on a 10/22 platform as well. I can't see myself shooting a bolt action 22LR anytime soon. Yes they are a bit more accurate, but the goal is to get the semi accurate. Just waiting for my timney trigger to get back from warranty work and then I stretch the legs on the 10/22.

I currently use a NF on the big bore rifle and for years I thought that was the cats meow. I was looking for a new scope to put on top of the new custom rifle that is on order. The thought was to go with the new NF NX8 series as I was impressed with the current NXS I'm using now. Then I read some, researched some, and read some more, and started looking at the Revic line of scopes. Actually handled one, and decided to go a different route. Then I read some, researched some, and read some more. It was between Tangent Theta and the very comparable Zero Compromise. The ZCO won the fight, because of the available 4-20x50 were the TT was only a 3-15x50 option. The ZCO is a work of art and I'm sure the TT would have been as well.

I would love to have a gopher patch to shoot over, but no such luck here in BC were I live. I could sit over it all day and plink away at the buggers if given a chance. Yep far enough back from them so they have no clue what was heading their way.
Old 06-11-2021, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Yep, on a 10/22 platform as well. I can't see myself shooting a bolt action 22LR anytime soon. Yes they are a bit more accurate, but the goal is to get the semi accurate. Just waiting for my timney trigger to get back from warranty work and then I stretch the legs on the 10/22.

I currently use a NF on the big bore rifle and for years I thought that was the cats meow. I was looking for a new scope to put on top of the new custom rifle that is on order. The thought was to go with the new NF NX8 series as I was impressed with the current NXS I'm using now. Then I read some, researched some, and read some more, and started looking at the Revic line of scopes. Actually handled one, and decided to go a different route. Then I read some, researched some, and read some more. It was between Tangent Theta and the very comparable Zero Compromise. The ZCO won the fight, because of the available 4-20x50 were the TT was only a 3-15x50 option. The ZCO is a work of art and I'm sure the TT would have been as well.

I would love to have a gopher patch to shoot over, but no such luck here in BC were I live. I could sit over it all day and plink away at the buggers if given a chance. Yep far enough back from them so they have no clue what was heading their way.
Yes, it would be awesome to try out a KIDD Supergrade 10/22 but I favor a bolt action myself.

I have looked at Tangent Theta and ZCO but they are a bit too spendy for my budget.

I will probably go with either a NF ATACAR 4-16X50, a Burris XTR 3 3.3-18X50, or a Kahles 3.5-18X50. I'm leaning towards the Burris or Kahles as the top end of 18X kind of hits the sweet spot for me.
Old 06-11-2021, 02:19 PM

Buckhead, for the price of the Kahles 318i you could be into the ATACR 4-20x50 if the magnification is what you are after. I think it would be a toss up for glass clarity between the two.

I looked at the Eotech vudu 2-25x50 for the 22 as well because of the small footprint, but could not grip the price, when I knew I was buying the ZCO for the big boomer. Maybe in a few years.

I found a great deal on the ZCO as well, so that helped seal the deal, and really in the big scheme of things was not too far off what I would have paid for the Kahles 318i. Only $640 more, landed on my doorstep, for I believe to be a better scope in the end.
Old 06-11-2021, 03:04 PM

I use a 4x bushnell for gophers . given to me from a board member . Jeez whats the drop on a 22 at 300 yards? for me 75 yards is a long shot on a gopher