Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-13-2021, 06:25 AM

Default Best Low Light/Brightest Variable Scope under $500?

I want a variable scope roughly 4-14 or 16 power for deer hunting over large fields from elevated blinds. Naturally, the big bucks come out right around dark so I want to find the best low light scope under $500 or less. I have heard/read folks liking Nikon Monarchs, certain Sightrons, Weaver Grand or Super Slams, Bushnell Elites, Vortex Viper, Zeiss Conquest (not sure if in budget), etc. So, based on your experience, what do you guys say?
Old 07-13-2021, 06:45 AM

For $500, look for a used Conquest or Elite, you won't find anything new that I would consider a good low light scope for that price.
Old 07-13-2021, 07:03 AM

Buy once cry once buy a Leupold used ones can be found for a good price. The warranty is lifetime regardless of the owner.Check the serial number with Leupold first so you don't get a Chinese knock off.

Your scope is the second,perhaps the first most important investment next to your rifle. Without a quality scope your rifle cant reach its full potential.As for the big bucks I have shot them from dawn till dusk many around the middle of the day.
Old 07-13-2021, 11:31 AM

Yep buy and cry, or is it cry and buy?

If it is for your main hunting rifle, do it right the first time. Save, don't drink your regular coffee's, beer, smokes, what ever you need to do to for a month or so and get the better scope. You will thank us later.

I've had numerous instances where a good scope was the determining factor of shooter or not, all at distance of around 500 yrds. Low light, literally last few minutes of legal light. Good optics were the difference.

Up until this year I thought I had a good scope, Nightforce NXS. Was great in low light. I upgraded this year after 5 years, and the new scope is only 50mm ocular, and by far is better than the 56mm ocular I have had for letting in light. It is also quite a bit more $$ tho.

You could find a used Leupold, or I have used a Sightron STAC, that was surprisingly good in lower light. That was on a 22lr, and shooting chickens until last light.
Old 07-13-2021, 11:44 AM

Stay away from Nikon, they no longer repair or back the old lifetime warranty on their scopes. In your price range I would suggest a quality used scope with a quality build and warranty. I do not recommend Vortex, great warranty but break far too often to be worth taking a chance on a Buck of a lifetime. To me the choices would be, in ascending order of price but also desireability modern Redfields, Bushnell 4500 then 6500 series, Leupold VX3 and above, Zeiss Conquest, not the Terra line, or a Swaro Z3. If you are going to get to the 14 to 16 power range I would suggest you look at a 50mm objective. One thing to be aware of, in low light, light transmission or perceived brightness is MUCH better on all scopes at 3 power, or whatever the lowest power on the scope is and gets progressively worse as you turn up the power. Best of luck.
Old 07-14-2021, 03:26 PM

Leupold VX2 3-9x40 or 4-12x40 for the money.
Old 07-14-2021, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
For $500, look for a used Conquest or Elite, you won't find anything new that I would consider a good low light scope for that price.

100% agree. Used Conquest 3-9 Are available in the $400-500 range quite regularly. Some ask more but they're smoking the drapes. Imo you can't find better or brighter glass on anything new under $750 and with scopes having taken a jump the past year it just got tougher.

I have Leupold VX-3i's and Conquests. When the chips are down the Zeiss beat the Leupolds by a comfortable margin. Slightly bigger scope and not as good a warranty but for $400 - $450 I really don't care.

Offhand...the Zeiss beat my Swarovski Z3 also.
Old 07-14-2021, 05:43 PM

I have an old Zeiss conquest 4.5-14 on my 22-250. It is better than any of my Vortex, VX1, VX2, V3’s and really not far behind any of my Nightforce. I had a Bausch and Lomb 1.5-6 that failed and Bushnell replaced it with a 4200 Elite 2.5-10. I sold the scope now I’m wishing I hadn’t. For the price of it, it was a very nice scope. I have a few Nikon Monarchs that are comparable to my Vortex vipers. I have had more warranty claims on my Nikon’s than all other brands put together.
Old 07-14-2021, 06:09 PM

Default Vxfreedom

VXFreedom
Old 07-14-2021, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
VXFreedom

Last edited by 270person; 07-14-2021 at 07:56 PM.
Old 07-15-2021, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Is there a better option new? I don’t think so. Better than VX2 optics, a tad under $500, and no questions warranty. Not a bad option at all, I would say.
Old 07-15-2021, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Is there a better option new? I don’t think so. Better than VX2 optics, a tad under $500, and no questions warranty. Not a bad option at all, I would say.

VX-1/VX-2 hybrid replacement Mr Tasco. The old VX-2 was pretty hard to beat for the price, especially with the LR reticle. Wish they still made it.
Old 07-15-2021, 06:23 PM

I have a 3X9 Conquest, as has been mentioned it is a fantastic scope. Should be able to find a used one for 4 to 5 hundred. I don't think you can do better given your parameters.

Thomas Sowell
Old 07-15-2021, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I have a 3X9 Conquest, as has been mentioned it is a fantastic scope. Should be able to find a used one for 4 to 5 hundred. I don't think you can do better given your parameters.

Excellent scopes. Cant touch that glass until you hit the $1k + plateau in current scopes imo.
Old 07-18-2021, 11:04 PM

In real world usage, nothing beats Leupold for the dollar at low light. The image seems to pop off the ocular lens (no tunnel vision) and the brightness and clarity can’t seem to be matched by competitor scopes costing much more.

Leupold hand aligns and indexes the lenses on all their scopes and it shows.
Old 07-18-2021, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage shooter View Post
In real world usage, nothing beats Leupold for the dollar at low light. The image seems to pop off the ocular lens (no tunnel vision) and the brightness and clarity can’t seem to be matched by competitor scopes costing much more.

Leupold hand aligns and indexes the lenses on all their scopes and it shows.

I've got Leupolds, Zeiss, and Nikon Monarch 3's on my rifles and just sold my Swaro. I can't agree re low light transmission. Leupolds are very good, basically the same as Nikon, but neither are as bright or reproduce color like the German glass.

To top it off they're basically the same cost. Warranty is better and thats about it.

Stands to reason. The Germans have been big in lenses for a long long time via their camera end. Leupold not so much.
Old 07-19-2021, 07:28 AM

Quote:
I've got Leupolds, Zeiss, and Nikon Monarch 3's on my rifles and just sold my Swaro. I can't agree re low light transmission. Leupolds are very good, basically the same as Nikon, but neither are as bright or reproduce color like the German glass.

To top it off they're basically the same cost. Warranty is better and thats about it.

Stands to reason. The Germans have been big in lenses for a long long time via their camera end. Leupold not so much.
I agree 100%.
Old 07-19-2021, 10:38 AM

Quote:

Warranty doesn't seem to get used on the german/austrian glass nearly as often, but any experience I've had with it has been great.
Couple years ago I had a 12 year old set of Leica rangefinders that weren't picking up long distance anymore (electronic issue). Leica replaced my 1200's with a new set of 1800's no questions asked.
Sent my Swaro bino's in a couple years ago for a tune-up after a lot of years of hard abuse (objective lenses were well scratched even) and they totally rebuilt them and charged me $200 I think it was. Pretty damn good I thought.
Never had to use warranty on any of my zeiss or swaro scopes.
The best warranty is one you don't have to use
Old 07-19-2021, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Warranty doesn't seem to get used on the german/austrian glass nearly as often, but any experience I've had with it has been great.
Couple years ago I had a 12 year old set of Leica rangefinders that weren't picking up long distance anymore (electronic issue). Leica replaced my 1200's with a new set of 1800's no questions asked.
Sent my Swaro bino's in a couple years ago for a tune-up after a lot of years of hard abuse (objective lenses were well scratched even) and they totally rebuilt them and charged me $200 I think it was. Pretty damn good I thought.
Never had to use warranty on any of my zeiss or swaro scopes.
The best warranty is one you don't have to use

True words.

I still remember the first time I looked through German glass at the range. Mind - Blown. No complaints about my Leupolds but...
Old 07-19-2021, 07:23 PM

Quote:
True words.

I still remember the first time I looked through German glass at the range. Mind - Blown. No complaints about my Leupolds but...
Long time ago... for sure.
But, is modern “ German glass” made in Germany - not sure- could be outsourced
Old 07-19-2021, 08:17 PM

The majority of Leupold lenses are ground in the Philippines
Old 07-19-2021, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Long time ago... for sure.
But, is modern “ German glass” made in Germany - not sure- could be outsourced

Wherever it comes from, it's the best out there.