Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-19-2021, 08:53 AM

Default Sako 85 extractor spring

I'm having ejection issues with my Sako 85 and wondering if anyone here has had any luck with replacing the extractor spring for something heavier/longer? I know there are some members here that have had that issue and I've found some feedback on other sites where it resolved it.

Anyone that has done it, where were you able to source the spring kit? The best option I've been able to find so far seems to be the Gre-Tan kit, which Big Horn sales should be able to get.

I'd like to try what I can before resorting to higher rings.
Old 07-19-2021, 12:00 PM

Following just because I have exactly the same issue and I'm absolutely not going to higher rings.
Old 07-19-2021, 12:13 PM

I had feeding issues on my sako. Sako didn't want to do anything, 2 gunsmith looked at it and couldn't figure it out. So I sold it and will never buy another one.
Old 07-19-2021, 01:06 PM

I had the issue also, high rings did not solve it. Getting rid of the rifle did.
Old 07-19-2021, 01:39 PM

That issue only happens on some of the 85s. Why some do it and the others don't relates to the angle the case is being ejected at. Most of the time it is not a home fix and higher rings providing more clearance only fixes it some of the time. A good gunsmith, especially one that is used to putting Sako extractors on model 700 bolts, can fix that problem. Sako has had enough complaints about this that if the rifle is new I would make them fix it or replace the gun. It is NOT within spec, no matter what they tell you.
Old 07-19-2021, 03:08 PM

Contact bighorn sales and ask for Gary. I looked them up online and sent him an email. I think the cost was about $3 to buy the new spring. I think he is based out of the prince george area in b.c.