Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-07-2021, 11:14 AM

Default Alpine lakes

Hello AO.
My dad and I are looking to go on a overnight backpacking trip to an alpine lake to do some dry fly-fishing. Ideally it would be about 2-3 hour hike but that could vary depending on the terrain. I'm only 14 but have done enough hiking to be able to go on a longer one if its a better hike/lake to make it worth while. We went to Chester lake a couple years back for a day trip and had fun catching them on hoppers and elk hair caddis. Chester is day use only so is there any better suggestions. would be a bonus if we could keep a fish over the fire. We live in Calgary so under 3 hour drive.
Thanks in advance
Old 07-07-2021, 11:36 AM

Checkout Three isle or Carnarvon lake, both are in Kananaskis and have nice backcountry campgrounds. Check the fishing regulations, and check to see if the campgrounds have any spots open on the dates you want to head-up, I think you have to book them. You'll need the kananaskis country park pass as well.
Old 07-07-2021, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JReed View Post
Checkout Three isle or Carnarvon lake, both are in Kananaskis and have nice backcountry campgrounds. Check the fishing regulations, and check to see if the campgrounds have any spots open on the dates you want to head-up, I think you have to book them. You'll need the kananaskis country park pass as well.
Ok will look into that. how long roughly do those take to hike one way?
how long does it take to get to the lake from the campground?
The fish shouldn't be picky so would just hoppers or caddis's work?
thanks
Old 07-07-2021, 01:14 PM

I can speak to three isle, campground is right on the lake, a selection of caddies, small hoppers, mayflies and smaller attractor patterns should cover you for dry flies. The hike is over 10km one way but all on trail and very easy. I did it for the first time when I was 14.
Old 07-07-2021, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthWestRanger View Post
I can speak to three isle, campground is right on the lake, a selection of caddies, small hoppers, mayflies and smaller attractor patterns should cover you for dry flies. The hike is over 10km one way but all on trail and very easy. I did it for the first time when I was 14.
Thanks for the response. both seem like great candidates. How long is the hike to three isle? can you random camp or do you have to book a site?
Old 07-07-2021, 01:44 PM

With both of these lakes, the campgrounds are essentially near the shores.

Carnarvon took me about 3-3.5 hours. I'm in good shape and only stopped for a couple short breaks. Do your homework if you choose this one, the trail isn't marked with signs, and there is chains to get up the headwall. They're not as bad as some people make them out to be.

Three isle is close to the same amount of hiking time, and it's in a Provincial Park, so random camping is not permitted.

Most dry flies will work, but if you're getting refusals, maybe switch to a smaller dry. Sometimes the fish don't take dries at all, and in that case you have to be versatile if you want to catch fish. Try slowly stripping a wooly bugger or leech pattern, or tie a nymph off the back of the dry fly.

Remember to have fun and take time to look around, we truly are lucky to have access to these places. Also keep your bear spray handy at all times, not in your backpack. Good luck!
Old 07-07-2021, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JReed View Post
With both of these lakes, the campgrounds are essentially near the shores.

Carnarvon took me about 3-3.5 hours. I'm in good shape and only stopped for a couple short breaks. Do your homework if you choose this one, the trail isn't marked with signs, and there is chains to get up the headwall. They're not as bad as some people make them out to be.

Three isle is close to the same amount of hiking time, and it's in a Provincial Park, so random camping is not permitted.

Most dry flies will work, but if you're getting refusals, maybe switch to a smaller dry. Sometimes the fish don't take dries at all, and in that case you have to be versatile if you want to catch fish. Try slowly stripping a wooly bugger or leech pattern, or tie a nymph off the back of the dry fly.

Remember to have fun and take time to look around, we truly are lucky to have access to these places. Also keep your bear spray handy at all times, not in your backpack. Good luck!
thanks. I am thinking of choosing carnavoron because of the ability to random camp. thanks for your help
Old 07-16-2021, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270hunter View Post
thanks. I am thinking of choosing carnavoron because of the ability to random camp. thanks for your help
Just FYI most people take longer than 3-3.5 hours to get there unless they use a bike for the first stretch.

Highwood is easily to ford right now.

Wind can make it frustrating and bring lots of bug spray.