Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-19-2017, 09:36 PM

Default Sit on top fishing kayak

Anyone here use these? Been thinking about getting one. I have a fishing boat, but I kinda like to enjoy nature as best I can and try different ideas. Not looking to break the bank, maybe around $800 used one ,or should a guy go all out. If use it for stocked trout, pike ,walleye, maybe even lakers.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:29 PM

I fish out of my kayak almost exclusively. My first one was an Ocean Kayak Trident 13 and now I use a Hobie Outback.

There are very few used fishing kayaks available here so often a guy needs to buy new to get what he wants.

When it comes to a fishing kayak I am a believer in that you get what you pay for. Sure you can buy a pelican or an ascend for cheap but imo you are better off spending the extra to get a good Ocean Kayak, Wilderness Systems, Jackson, Hobie etc.

If you want the best type of kayak for fishing then you should look at pedal drive ones like Hobie. Being hands free and able to cover much more ground(legs are stronger then arms) is a huge advantage. I will never go back to a paddle kayak as my main kayak after owning my Hobie. Downside is that they are expensive but imo they are the best man powered solo watercraft a guy can buy.

Pedal power is especially important if you troll with fly gear or if you want to think about using a downrigger for lakers.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:15 AM

Kayak fishing works well... gets you on the water just about anywhere you want to fish. They can handle all kind of weather as long as you can.

I agree with Ravyak... I have to paddle mine around which makes trolling a bit difficult. So if you are really serious about it totally go with the foot drive ones. But I cheated and put a trolling motor on mine when I went to Tahoe for Kokanee. Worked great. Could zip all over the lake all day.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 04-20-2017, 07:12 PM

Default Tarpon 130x demo days

Saw a tarpon brand new on sale for 1139, any comments on this boat looking at one seriously, free demo days put on by campers village may 17 and 24th in Edmonton.that outback by hobie price is 3000 plus and would like to check out wilderness radar power peddle paddle but none on stock in Edmonton.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:37 PM

Hobie is made for fishing. Buy once, cry once. Mine has caught plenty of fish here in YT.

If I go on a kayak camping trip I take something better suited for distance and speed.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:58 PM

I have an old town predator 13 for sale, comes with a kayak cart, lowrance fish finder, anchor trolley. This is 2 years old in great condition. Located in red deer. Looking to get $1200 but will take offers. Look up this kayak on goggle it is imo one of the better ones out there.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:04 PM

I bought this Yak last year and love it.

https://www.aquabaticscalgary.com/st...r-pro-120.html

It was my first SOT kayak and after rigging it out, it has been fun!!

Lots of good info out there and some very knowledgeable people who can help with some ideas.

They are addictive!! And you can get carried away in outfitting it!!! Scotty, Yakattack, Ram etc. all carry stuff for your Kayak.

Cheers

SS
Old 04-21-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDR View Post
Hobie is made for fishing. Buy once, cry once. Mine has caught plenty of fish here in YT.

If I go on a kayak camping trip I take something better suited for distance and speed.
Not arguing at all with the Hobie thing, I've never tried one and there are plenty of happy customers. I just want to point out that there are plenty of folks out there happily fishing under paddle power, some who prefer it, and others who don't feel the foot drive system is worth the expense. I do a lot of fishing in smallish rivers with plenty of shallow bars that require precise and tight maneuvering and I cant see the foot drive system being ideal for that, once again I have not tried it but I'm happy enough paddling that I don't really intend to. For pike and walleye I don't feel that the paddle is much of a hindrance when trolling, for trout having the rod in your hand is inarguably a benefit.

In summary, if you like the idea of the pedal drive, and feel that it will work well for your intended use, and the money is not an issue... by all means go get a Hobie. But bear in mind, despite all the Hobie love on here, it is by no means necessary.

Last edited by Bushleague; 04-21-2017 at 09:12 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:53 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks guys, goods info. Need to do some more research now..
Old 04-21-2017, 11:18 PM

I use a hobie revolution 13 with the pedals. Outfitted with a rod holder, camera mount and just put a lowrance fishfinder on it. I flyfish lakes, and have taken it on the ocean for pink salmon. Going to chase coho and chinook this year. So far its been a blast.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:24 AM

My boyfriend and I both have the 12' sit on top ascend from bass pro and they work great and it's good for starting out.

Everything that has been mentioned above we have done on our boats. We fish the larger lakes for pike and walleye and the smaller lakes for trout, trolling with a paddle works fine. Just get a rod holder from scottys (seems the easiest brand to find around here at all fishing supply stores), fishing hole in Calgary has a great selection.

My next purchase is a fish finder to mount on the kayak. This boat is pretty stable, it is very hard to tip. You can stand on it on calm water. I have and it isn't took bad.

For entry level, these really aren't too bad. Like many have said you get what you pay for. Sure there are better but after all was said and done for basic rigging, you are looking at around $1000-1200 for all the bells and whistles added to the ascend. Stay away from the 10' though. Not as good.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhfong View Post
I use a hobie revolution 13 with the pedals. Outfitted with a rod holder, camera mount and just put a lowrance fishfinder on it. I flyfish lakes, and have taken it on the ocean for pink salmon. Going to chase coho and chinook this year. So far its been a blast.
When you pm'd me i compared my revolution to the hobie pro angler, not the outback as you asked. It was late and i must have had water sloshing in my brain.

I picked the revolution as i could carry two on top of my tahoe, with an aftermarket rack system.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:23 PM

I would Have a strong look at Nucanoe products. They make exclusive fishing outfits, yet you can do basically anything in them. They are a kayak/canoe hybrid type of boat. They are EXTREMELY STABLE!!! I can stand up and walk on it from bow to stern with only a little bit of balance. You can go bare bones or the full 9 yards with them. I personally got the Frontier 12 model, along with a few things like swivel seats, extendable paddles, and rod holders. You can mount a motor onto it as well. Seats up to 3 people believe it or not, comfortably 2 people, or you and a dog. Definitely check it out, https://www.nucanoe.com/nucanoe-frontier/