Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-28-2017, 04:15 PM

pretty sad and difficult situation tatonka but cant blame testosterone in females. I have trained dogs for almost 40 years including a few chessies although I am far from an expert on them. Most aggressive dogs I have ever had on this property for training were not the normal bullies, rotties or dobermans (although I have done obedience on them) but rather an 80 pound chocolate that would take on all comers. Most aggressive to other dogs was a field trial bred golden retriever bred by noted breeder Davey Speirs in Ontario. I dont know if it was possessiveness, fear biting or just anti social but he would not tolerate other dogs near him including females which really struck me as different. Normally males honor females and will not initiate a fight but he didnt read the rule book I guess.

some related studies:
http://cynologist.com/index.php/beha...ssive-behavior

Last edited by wwbirds; 01-28-2017 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:14 PM

the breeders you speak of go back to
Aleutian surfbreaker-
the big fellow-
Atom Bob
Nelgard's Rip Tide
Rex of Rapids
I have old registration papers from Chesapeake bay retrievers that either my grand parents , my parents or I have owned that go back into the early 1900's
dogs of the early 40's 50's & 60's blood lines that sought after today
in the early 60's we had a daughter and full brother of the big fellow
strangest thing is only myself and my great grandfather were hunters in my family, but chessies have been in my family as far back as I can remember
even the female I just got this last fall from Westpeake can be traced back to
the dogs I mentioned earlier ,
and most do not play well with others
even closely related (they are mainly a one on one type of dog)
I believe they are the one hunting breed that hasn't been diluted or bred enough or puppy on the string show ring thing that the original instinct for what they were bred to do is lost,(like the Dalmatian, or the cocker spaniel)
it still boils down to
the handler in most cases
as for predatory drift
as boy I also had beagles and had 3 females gang up on one and kill her
the same as tatonka2 just mentioned about his chessies
sorry for being so long winded
shoot where their
going not where they been,
Old 01-28-2017, 05:55 PM

3 really good posts in a row. I like learning and reading these kinds of stories
Old 01-29-2017, 02:30 AM

Thanks for the great info!
Old 01-29-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_wiesel View Post
the breeders you speak of go back to
Aleutian surfbreaker-
the big fellow-
Atom Bob
Nelgard's Rip Tide
Rex of Rapids
I have old registration papers from Chesapeake bay retrievers that either my grand parents , my parents or I have owned that go back into the early 1900's
dogs of the early 40's 50's & 60's blood lines that sought after today
in the early 60's we had a daughter and full brother of the big fellow
strangest thing is only myself and my great grandfather were hunters in my family, but chessies have been in my family as far back as I can remember
even the female I just got this last fall from Westpeake can be traced back to
the dogs I mentioned earlier ,
and most do not play well with others
even closely related (they are mainly a one on one type of dog)
I believe they are the one hunting breed that hasn't been diluted or bred enough or puppy on the string show ring thing that the original instinct for what they were bred to do is lost,(like the Dalmatian, or the cocker spaniel)
it still boils down to
the handler in most cases
as for predatory drift
as boy I also had beagles and had 3 females gang up on one and kill her
the same as tatonka2 just mentioned about his chessies
sorry for being so long winded
Nearly all Chessie these days go back to the dogs you mentioned, especially if you are talking field lines.......Surfbreaker had to have been the happiest dog on the planet... I think he was bred to everything on 4 legs.

The Chessie gene pool is very small. There is somewhat of a split in the breed between field and show lines, but not to the extent of most other breeds. Many of the Chessies from Show Lines will still hunt and many have Hunt test titles and there are still a few dual champions within the breed. When I was breeding I had a guy call me from Australia wanting a couple pups because the gene pool there was so small it was nearly impossible to breed...everything was becoming very inbred. I looked into what was involved with getting a pups to him and it was a nightmare of testing and paperwork, so I passed plus the pups would have had to have been in quarantine after they got there.

Predatory Drift: It can occur with many breeds, obviously, but my research showed it's far more prevalent in the larger breeds. As the link I shared stated, that's why in larger cities dog parks have areas for big dogs and little dogs... They are separated.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:56 AM

To clarify, I don't think Chessies are a bad breed by any means. What I'm saying is they are very different from other gundog breeds and anyone thinking about getting one needs to be aware of that fact. I would not recommend one as a person's first dog and didn't when I was breeding them.

It's been written many times that Chessies are stubborn. I've also read that you have to train a Chessie with a 2X4. That's absolutely not true. They are very intelligent and a bit sensitive yet very tough at the same time. Combine intelligence and sensitivity and you have a dog that will shut down and quit if you make a mistake and come down too hard on the dog when training it. Ignorant people see that as being stubborn. Chessies can be a bit slow to develop and mature...much slower than a Lab, Goldern, etc. Every pup is different of course, but generally speaking a Chessie will develop much slower than the other retriever breeds. It takes a gentle touch and a lot of patience and a thorough understanding of the breed to train a Chessie. Many Chessie breeders and handlers are women... Take a look at some of the long time breeders. I believe it's because women tend to be more gentle and more patient than many men.

It's been said that through selective breeding a lot of the guard dog aspect of the breed has been bred out of the breed....that today's Chessie isn't the same as they were 50 years ago. I'm not sure I buy that. As I said, it's a very small gene pool. If there has been any change in their temperament I think it's been minimal. A Chessie is a Chessie and always will be.
Old 01-30-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatonka2 View Post
To clarify, I don't think Chessies are a bad breed by any means. What I'm saying is they are very different from other gundog breeds and anyone thinking about getting one needs to be aware of that fact. I would not recommend one as a person's first dog and didn't when I was breeding them.

It's been written many times that Chessies are stubborn. I've also read that you have to train a Chessie with a 2X4. That's absolutely not true. They are very intelligent and a bit sensitive yet very tough at the same time. Combine intelligence and sensitivity and you have a dog that will shut down and quit if you make a mistake and come down too hard on the dog when training it. Ignorant people see that as being stubborn. Chessies can be a bit slow to develop and mature...much slower than a Lab, Goldern, etc. Every pup is different of course, but generally speaking a Chessie will develop much slower than the other retriever breeds. It takes a gentle touch and a lot of patience and a thorough understanding of the breed to train a Chessie. Many Chessie breeders and handlers are women... Take a look at some of the long time breeders. I believe it's because women tend to be more gentle and more patient than many men.

It's been said that through selective breeding a lot of the guard dog aspect of the breed has been bred out of the breed....that today's Chessie isn't the same as they were 50 years ago. I'm not sure I buy that. As I said, it's a very small gene pool. If there has been any change in their temperament I think it's been minimal. A Chessie is a Chessie and always will be.
Well said and as I've also been a Chessie owner and breeder, you're right on the money when you say you don't recommend them to a first time dog owner. They're incredibly smart and reason like nothing I've ever seen. They'll do it your way the first time but their way the next if they think it's a better way to go! Have heard so many people say that once they've had a Chessie, they wouldn't want another breed. Totally agree! They're tough as can be but such a devoted dog.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:34 AM

Default Food for Thought

A couple of links for some bed-time reading...

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites...ncer-risk.aspx

http://mercola.fileburst.com/PDF/Hea...izslaStudy.pdf
Old 01-31-2017, 05:34 PM

I agree with BenC68, you are going to get a lot of opinions. I mentioned the "studies" about the increased risk of cancer, etc. to my Vet and he tore them apart and referred to others that suggested the opposite. In the end a person has to decide for himself.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildside2014 View Post
TRUTH!

Thank you. When guys finally realize chesapeakes aren't labs, and more specifically aren't just 'ugly labs' this thread will finally serve its purpose.
Exactly

Don’t have a Chessie now BUT when I did and someone would say “ wow that’s a nice/different/funny looking chocolate Lab” I couldn’t help but use the line “ does he/she look stupid?” . Chocolate owners please don’t take offence