Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-17-2017, 04:17 PM

Default New Guy with PAL - What Firearm and What Guage ?

I passed my PAL test and I am looking for the right gun.

Previous experience has been as a child on grampas farm back in Ontario shooting 22's most likely, cant remember much of anything from back then. I am 6'4" and 325lbs if that makes a difference, right handed, left eye dominant.

The reason I got PAL was to be legal obviously, but I want to go hunting.
My Goals, dont think I'd want single shot, so tubular or clip, what evers legal for capacity.

1) Shoot Nuisance Animals

2) Shoot Over-Populated Animals

3) Range Shooting will be the majority because I am in a big city, and would take 40 minutes to get out to Mclean Creek, Alberta.

4) Once, Just Once, I'd like to get a trophy animal, big antlers, wall mount. I wouldnt want it to go to waste, so I'd have to hire a guide who can process the animal.

Thats about it, I went to Canadian Tire and looked at an aisle of firearms to get a feel for prices. I'd love to keep it to $300-$450, and cheap ammo too.

I've noticed not any online gun sales, must be a law.

Where would a man buy used guns?

I see Jan 13, Gunshow at Thorncliffe Community Center and on March 30-31 theres a gun show at the BMO Center Stampede Grounds.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:29 PM

Remington 700 in 30-06
Done.
Any other answer is wrong.
(As if other people would have a different opinion)
Old 11-17-2017, 04:52 PM

Default one is never enough

sounds like it has been awhile so go back to basics and get a functional and very cheap 22 to practice shooting again. Once you have relearned and reacquanted yourself to shooting look to get a medium caliber rifle for starting which might be a 243, 270 or 30-06 depending how sensitive to recoil you are. You mention gauge which is a whole other category but eventually to round out the gun vault you probably will want to get a shotgun for birds/waterfowl
Old 11-17-2017, 04:59 PM
Banned

Clearly a Remington 700 chambered in .308 winchester
Old 11-17-2017, 05:27 PM

Forget gauge, and look at rifle cartridges legal for big game hunting in Alberta. For cheap ammunition, and for target shooting, the 308win would be a good choice.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:48 PM

I'd look into a .308 caliber and in a rifle make that fits your needs, size and budget. I'm a Remington fan so I'd suggest a 700 but a cheaper 783 would kill just as normal.

Maybe consider 3 rifles and a shotgun. A .22, .223, .308, and a 12 gauge, work your way through those or similar sizes as money allows and you'll be set to shoot anything and enjoy every second of it.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:49 PM

You are going to get replies in everyone's favorite caliber. But realistically you have a lot of choices and for recreational hunting it's not about the caliber it's about practice and shot placement. You would be good with .270/.308/30-06/7mm. Those would be your most popular calibers in Alberta for hunting and should have no problem finding ammo in most small town hardware stores.

For your price range I would look used. But each manufacturer makes a bargain rifle that are still decent rifles. Rem 783, Savage Axis, etc. But it's the scope you need to spend the money on. Keep your eyes open.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:22 PM

Default SUDer Public

Yeah I am beginning to think of buying a used gun 30-06 or close to the .300's
Is there a big price difference in going semi auto with a clip?
Old 11-17-2017, 06:38 PM

There is a buy and sell here and Canadian gun nutz, I would suggest you buy any used bolt action 308, 270 or 30-06 even if it’s got some scratches (in person, local deals might be best). You should find one with an ok scope for 400ish. Then spend next summer exploring some crown land and if you think hunting is for you, you can upgrade your rifle later.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyallpeder View Post
There is a buy and sell here and Canadian gun nutz, I would suggest you buy any used bolt action 308, 270 or 30-06 even if it’s got some scratches (in person, local deals might be best). You should find one with an ok scope for 400ish. Then spend next summer exploring some crown land and if you think hunting is for you, you can upgrade your rifle later.
x2
Old 11-17-2017, 07:23 PM

Are you realy sure you want a gun ?
Old 11-17-2017, 09:16 PM

Bolt and not lever?
Old 11-18-2017, 10:34 AM

Online firearm sales can be found here. www.canadiangunnutz.com at the least you will see the prices if you were to compare them to local sales.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:59 AM

Take your time and do your research. Based on what you are describing you want to do your really looking at two rifles a 22 for small game and a larger calibre for big game eventually. 243 is minimum for big game in Alberta and will kill anything out there with a well placed shot at normal hunting distances. However it doesn't leave you a tonne of room for shot placement error on larger game like moose or elk. On the other end of the spectrum I personally feel that there is no need to get any magnum for hunting inside of 300m (95%) of hunting 308 works just perfectly 30-06 if you want a little more insurance. Magnums are a bit much especially for an inexperienced shooter I would recommend a 308 or if you decide to really get into hunting a 270win. At your price point forget about the Remington 700. Your looking for a used Remington 783 or Savage axis package rifle either will probably be more accurate then the average shooter their just not as pretty.

To be honest from reading your post I feel like you need to do a bunch more digging into both the firearms and hunting regulations they are two different things. Maybe see if someone is willing to take you to the range try out a few different options figure out what direction you want to go.

As for your point about needing to hire a guide to dress game the information in the hunters education is a good start but there is a tonne of real good information on youtube now if you want to DIY. Sounds like your on a budget and a guide would cost more then you mentioned spending on a rifle.

Last edited by Freerider; 11-18-2017 at 11:11 AM.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:08 AM

How long did it tale to get your PAL in the mail? I sent mine off a couple weeks back and am itching to get it! Heard it can take up to 2 months.

Matt

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-18-2017, 11:11 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Remington 700 in 30-06
Done.
Any other answer is wrong.
(As if other people would have a different opinion)
Yup and top it with a Burris scope 3-9X40....rifle, cartridge and scope combination to last a life time and then some.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-18-2017, 01:14 PM

Pick up a good used Winchester Model 70 in 308.

Enjoy!
Old 11-18-2017, 01:47 PM

If I was doing the last 20 years over, I’d have the .22 of course, but for centerfire I get into 6.5-7mm range of iron and get really good at it. Personally, I never got to be a good shot with the big boom sore shoulder thing going on. Now I get out the 6.5x55, hang 6 inch targets 400 yards down the fence line, and enjoy. And also I’d get the sweet old 1187 semi auto 12ga I enjoy now. Maybe I’m getting old...
Old 11-18-2017, 03:06 PM

Congrats on getting your PAL~now the (safe) fun starts!

If you don't mind me saying...it sounds like you might be getting WAY ahead of yourself. I suspect lots of guys on here (like myself) have been shooting since well before they maybe should have and evolved into their current sensibilities having spent allot of time with sling shots/air guns/22s before even CONSIDERING centerfire rifles or shotguns. At least I did. I would hazard a guess that by the time I'd even fired a shotgun, I'd put 10s of thousands of rounds through air guns alone, thousands through 22s, etc. Didn't even know what and FAC even was...not sure they even existed back then!

Anyhow, what I'm trying to say is this~doesn't sound to me like you need advice on the best caliber/gauge, rather, what you need is a decent 22, a crap load of ammo, and some safe trigger time under the guidance of someone you trust. I still thoroughly enjoy that sort of thing at my age, but felt with that experience behind me, I have a sense of the kind of rifle I want to carry, shoot, @ what distances, what kind of optics make sense. With shotgun gauges~I shot old farm guns forever before buying my first 870 pump. Shot some skeet, but mostly trap for YEARS before I even felt the urge to hunt with it. While I don't think you need several decades of plinking, target shooting, tons of trial and error...I DO think you should maybe slow down a little and get comfortable with a less powerful caliber, get lots of practice, and enjoy the process. I think if you do, by the time you buy your first hunting rifle...chances are it'll be a good choice, one you're proud to own, and one you're probably going to shoot a HECK of allot better.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:17 PM

Are there places you can rent guns, and take them to crown land or go hunting with?

* Bolt action that can store a handful of rounds!

The list
You great people in this forum suggest
Remington 700 or cheaper 783 in 30-06
Winchester 308
Winchester Model 70 in 308
243 - 270 - 3006
270 - 308 - 3006 - 7mm
Savage Axis

Digger - centerfire I get into 6.5-7mm range - 6.5x55 - 1187 semi 12g

BigRed - www.canadiangunnutz.com
Also found egunner USA, unsure on shipping

mattthegorby - Still have to mail in the paper work, may go for restricted just for giggles, if the place I got my PAL from also does restricted and since the same book I used for PAL has restricted info in it, as I found the PAL to be super easy to pass. Will call them and see, they got 50 courses there it seems.

From my musings on Youtube and you guys, made a list, just gotta find that piece of paper now Ah there it is.

Youtube suggests these....*I havent gotten prices on them yet*
Springfield M1903 30-06 with 1.2M made
Mauser 98 7.92x57mm 9M made
Winchester Model 70
Remington 700 $$$$$$$$$$$$
Smitruben 9611
Savage Model 110
Mosin Guan
Ruger M77
Verasaca Type 38
Lee Infield
Swiss K31
Old 11-18-2017, 07:58 PM
Banned

I'll agree with those who say do a little more research...and then get two guns, a .22 and something bigger.
You say that most of your shooting will be range and small pest control...with the hope of some day shooting something bigger.
One thing to consider...plinking and small pest control gets awfully expensive using .308 or some such.
You can spend an afternoon having fun with a .22 at the range or in the woods for a dozen .308 rounds (guessing you're not in a position to handload).
Old 11-18-2017, 07:58 PM

It appears you need to take this training: https://319.yssecure.com/conservatio...ucation-manual
Old 11-18-2017, 08:47 PM

By the way, the 6.5x55 (in production since 1894) is pretty much identical performance to the now popular new 6.5 Creedmoor which has a lot of new fancy ammo available now. I like it because my ol’ shoulder doesn’t like recoil, and it does what I want it to, up to elk and possibly moose at reasonable range with a quality bullet. 6.5mm is .264”. The incredibly popular .270 Winchester cal is a bit more zippy.
The Mauser 98 (1898) action is simple, well proven and I’d buy another. See trade ex Canada site to get all sorts of sweet dreams put in your head.
Oh if you’re looking for cheap ammo, I don’t think anyone can argue with the .223 and .308 .
Old 11-18-2017, 08:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by markz View Post
Are there places you can rent guns, and take them to crown land or go hunting with?

* Bolt action that can store a handful of rounds!

The list
You great people in this forum suggest
Remington 700 or cheaper 783 in 30-06
Winchester 308
Winchester Model 70 in 308
243 - 270 - 3006
270 - 308 - 3006 - 7mm
Savage Axis

Digger - centerfire I get into 6.5-7mm range - 6.5x55 - 1187 semi 12g

BigRed - www.canadiangunnutz.com
Also found egunner USA, unsure on shipping

mattthegorby - Still have to mail in the paper work, may go for restricted just for giggles, if the place I got my PAL from also does restricted and since the same book I used for PAL has restricted info in it, as I found the PAL to be super easy to pass. Will call them and see, they got 50 courses there it seems.

From my musings on Youtube and you guys, made a list, just gotta find that piece of paper now Ah there it is.

Youtube suggests these....*I havent gotten prices on them yet*
Springfield M1903 30-06 with 1.2M made
Mauser 98 7.92x57mm 9M made
Winchester Model 70
Remington 700 $$$$$$$$$$$$
Smitruben 9611
Savage Model 110
Mosin Guan
Ruger M77
Verasaca Type 38
Lee Infield
Swiss K31
Im confused. The thread is called "new guy with pal"
Maybe it should say "new guy interested in pal"?
My advice? Instead of everyones opinion why dont you do some research Nd reading online? The interweb has unlimited resources. By the time you have a PAL in your hand you are going to change your mind a million times.
Just sayin
Old 11-19-2017, 12:01 AM

Quote:
I have no immediate plans to get a handgun, but did my RPAL as well because I have a friend that I will go shooting with that has a handgun and I figured the more knowledge the better.

I'm going the 22lr route first myself. After checking out the price of ammo that sealed the deal for me to go small as a platform to learn. Once I have shot all winter with that I want to get a centerfire at the beginning of the summer in a caliber sufficient to hunt deer/elk when I go out with my inlaws in the fall/winter.

Good luck with your selection! I know the shooters edge in Calgary has some guns you can fire on their range, but not sure if it is just handguns.

Matt

Old 11-19-2017, 08:53 AM

When I buy a gun I always give the fella at the counter my price range. He'll give me a whole bunch to "try on." Buy what feels comfortable for you. as far as calibres go you can't go wrong with a .270, 308 or a .3006. They will all kill any game on this continent, shells are fairly cheap and widely available. Most small town store carries shells of some kind in these calibers. Every rifle Manufacturer has there "cheap" combo packages. Most are very good and accurate firearms, except the cheap Remington's. If you're going to buy a Remington spend the extra money and buy a nice Remington. Personally I always lean towards the savage because they "fit" me better. I'm also 5 foot 8 and a 180 pounds. Good luck on your search.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
I happen to have everything you need. Used each gun a few times. Bought them as beginner guns now I have upgraded and don't really use anymore. Let me know if interested. Are perfect for what you need.

I have a marlin semi auto .22
A cheap 12 gauge i forget the company. It shoots everything well, except the odd target
load it was jam on ejection.
A Remington 783 in .243 with the factory scope. Not the greatest scope but it's held zero and gets the job done.
They all shoot well, but are made with cheaper materials than the more expensive guns
All 3 for $700
I'll throw in some ammo for each for $750
That seems like a pretty good deal. I am holding off until after Christmas to see what the finances look like and my PAL comes in, but will keep in mind.

Matt

Old 11-24-2017, 02:04 AM

There is a ton of reading, and knowing what all the acronyms mean is a lot of work.

Alberta Hunter Education is where I did my PAL course, thought that was enough looks like another $100 is whats needed to go hunt.

Some randoms I found Cabela's online
Russian SKS Semi-Auto Rifle w/ Hardwood Stock $200 is more my price range there. 10 round stripper clip, 7.62×39mm so $1.10 a bullet for 20 or $0.23 for 1500.

Remington® Model 783 or Savage Axis $430 with scope! Various cailbres.

Everytime I try to sink my teeth into this, it boggles my mind.

Ammo can add up

Last edited by markz; 11-24-2017 at 02:11 AM.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:32 AM

Quote:
There is a ton of reading, and knowing what all the acronyms mean is a lot of work.

Alberta Hunter Education is where I did my PAL course, thought that was enough looks like another $100 is whats needed to go hunt.

Russian SKS Semi-Auto Rifle w/ Hardwood Stock $200 is more my price range there. 10 round stripper clip, 7.62×39mm so $1.10 a bullet for 20 or $0.23 for 1500.

Ammo can add up
^exactly....but having reread this entire thread, I don't see anyone mentioning this sport was inexpensive. Most are, and shooting/hunting are no exception. Look on the bright side~at least they're not ridiculous pursuits like golf.

Mark~reading your last post^...it seems like you're getting a bit overwhelmed by the options/choices..and a bit surprised at how much there is to learn. I think it's important to realize that's PRECISELY what keeps most guys engaged in the sport. I know it is for me. I also don't know ANYONE in the sport who's tastes don't evolve with time, so there is ZERO sense in stressing about what the first gun will be/should be when you're so inexperienced to begin with. Take this advice or leave it, but as I mentioned before..but when the time comes, I think you'd be doing yourself a huge favor buying a decent .22 rifle, lots of cheap ammo, and "practice practice practice" as the saying goes. In my opinion, making your first gun a high-power, moose/elk/deer-capable rifle is a big mistake. Why? Lots of noise, lots of recoil, expensive ammo that might make you reluctant to put the required amount of practice in, etc. Get your practice in on a low-power, cheap-to-shoot caliber like .22. You'll also learn how to set-up/zero your scope, and it's an awesome small-varmint caliber too. If you buy a decent 22 and take care of it, it will hold it's value pretty well...so if it doesn't tickle your fancy, you could sell it down the road.

Should also be said....Alberta has THE best varmints if you're a rimfire shooter. LOTS and lots of targets... Heck..I hear some guys even travel from Ontario to shoot gophers with their 22s. Crazy!
Old 11-24-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:

Ammo can add up
In my experience the term by ones cry once comes to mind, If you were looking to shoot rapidly at pumpkins, and paper then a SKS is a good way to go, however if you wanna make every round count, I would cut spending for a couple months, and go with a higher quality bolt action rifle, 10 rounds at $0.23 a rounds shot rapidly is still, $2.30, spent just as quick, if not quicker then a $2.00 accurately place round. Shooting a pop can at 200yrds is far more satisfying then rapid shooting at closer larger targets! Just my opinion! Congrats on your Pal your gonna love the new opportunities, and welcome to the forum!